• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Impressions

Xuhaib

International Coach
Compton looks alright may not score a lot this series but i would like Eng to stick with him.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worst kind of knee-jerk.
This is about first impressions, first innings he couldn't rotate the strike then got bowled through bat and pad. Not good. Was dodgy again at the beginning today but thankfully improved and looks much better. Hope he comes off but more likely to be in the middle order than as an opener in my view.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My guess is that he'll prove to be a much better player of pace than spin.

Has pretty hard hands and looks like he's one of those batters who plants his front pad as a matter of course and has to play around it.
Oh, he's good, this Brumby fella. :cool:

Zak good enough to take full advantage.

Daemon

Judging by his 'A' tours overseas hopefully he'll be good overseas as well. Got undone by a few good ones in South Africa but that's not a big enough sample size imo. Think he can cope with bounce, but it remains to see how he deals with pace and lateral movement.

flibbertyjibber

He'll be helped as well by the fact the pressure will be off a bit as he has runs in the bank and won't get dropped straight away if he fails in the next overseas tour. Playing as he did before with so many stars and only really one place up for grabs there was no real chance for anyone to get a decent run unless it was Yuvraj.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I feel bad for Quiney. No batsman really deserves to average 3 after two matches.

I was happy that Quiney got a game, but I've always thought that the shorter formats were more his thing and I hope these three dismissals wont impact on his potential future ODI and T20 chances with the Australian team.

In the field Quiney has been very good and his bowling has been respectable for someone who doesn't bowl for his state - he certainly looks the part in the field, just a shame he didn't play and miss instead of nicking off.

flibbertyjibber

Seeing as Shane Warne once said that Monty Panesar is playing his first test every time he sets foot on the park he hasn't done too badly in this game.:ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pujara played in South Africa ftr. Didn't do much in his 3 innings but faced one of the best deliveries you will ever see from Steyn to be dismissed in one of them.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seeing as Shane Warne once said that Monty Panesar is playing his first test every time he sets foot on the park he hasn't done too badly in this game.:ph34r:
I think he's improved as a bowler since Warney said that, has more variation. Still drops too many short though.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Here are some of my first impressions.. I have been wrong on a few occasions..most striking being Cook.

Quinney - crap
Kleinvelt - crap
Clarke - excellent player of spin, suspect against pace
Amla - average
Kohli - future great
Pujara - flat track bully
Khwaja - potential
Cook - average
Bell - great potential
Panesar - crap
Samit Patel - crap

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Faf du Plessis can't bowl.

Seen he before, like, but 'tis his test debut.
*Can bat tho, but.

Must admit I really didn't think he had an epic like Adelaide in him after seeing his batting for Lancs. Looked more the kinda chap for a jolly 20 or 30 in speedy time.

Guess that's one of the probs of mainly seeing limited overs domestic stuff on telly.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I think I'll join the Faf can bat train too. He's just look so composed, an ironclad defense and I've been impressed with his offside play, I figured he'd be a dominate legside bat, but he looks solid everywhere, as you do when you average above 250! So now he needs to move up the order a bit - I think he has the potential to perform well in all conditions.