• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Impressions

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah they didn't - thankfully.

Going on record to say Kleinveldt shouldn't be playing Test Cricket, in fact hopefully this is his last Test match. He could end up a decent ODI player though.
He's never really been a particularly good one day bowler domestically as far as I know though, so I doubt it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He's never really been a particularly good one day bowler domestically as far as I know though, so I doubt it.
Perhaps not, it was more of a throw away line to give him some encouragement :). Like Rory mate your the worst pace bowler that SA has produced since readmission but hey you might get a chance in the ****tier format ODIs so keep your chin up.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mondays.

Staid, boring, and a reminder of hell on earth coming in the following four days, but the cricket being on makes them somewhat more bearable.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the article really reported that incident very well. He said it to him when they were team-mates years playing against the West Indies, and he just re-told the story. Obviously a **** thing to say but it's the sort of over-the-top banter that often happens within cricket teams.
Please don't defend racism PEWS as over the top banter. It is annoying when you do it. I certainly hope that international cricket teams of today or any age do not/did not joke about calling the west Indies cricket team racist names. If I was on the team I would not find it funny and I would call my team mate on it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Please don't defend racism PEWS as over the top banter. It is annoying when you do it. I certainly hope that international cricket teams of today or any age do not/did not joke about calling the west Indies cricket team racist names. If I was on the team I would not find it funny and I would call my team mate on it.
Please don't confuse good-natured ribbing Hurricane as racism. It is annoying when you do it. There's a massive difference between racism - that is, discrimination or prejudice against someone based on their race - and piss-taking between close friends in a team environment. I bet you're a barrel of laughs as a team-mate.

As Brumby said, there's a time and a place, and when someone like Ritchie defends his Muslim joke by saying "It's just a little humourous joke to indicate that they're not my favourite people of my choice" then it's safe to say there's basically no chance of him being anything than a bigoted **** who deserves nothing but contempt. That doesn't mean all race-related jokes are actually racist though; obviously they require a certain closeness and environment - you need to know the guy taking the piss isn't actually serious or it's offensive - but looking for ways to get offended out of context will just make you constantly sour.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Please don't confuse good-natured ribbing Hurricane as racism. It is annoying when you do it. There's a massive difference between racism - that is, discrimination or prejudice against someone based on their race - and piss-taking between close friends in a team environment. I bet you're a barrel of laughs as a team-mate.

As Brumby said, there's a time and a place, and when someone like Ritchie defends his Muslim joke by saying "It's just a little humourous joke to indicate that they're not my favourite people of my choice" then it's safe to say there's basically no chance of him being anything than a bigoted **** who deserves nothing but contempt. That doesn't mean all race-related jokes are actually racist though; obviously they require a certain closeness and environment - you need to know the guy taking the piss isn't actually serious or it's offensive - but looking for ways to get offended out of context will just make you constantly sour.
Lets part company because I don't share your views on what is and what isn't racism. My view which you won't agree with is that all racist jokes are racist regardless of the "closeness" between the individuals or whether the person is taking the piss.

Why is it funny to call someone a racist name and then slap them on the back afterwards and say I am just teasing mate. I don't really get the joke. Nor do I want to.
"Hey bill you frickin N bomb how's it going?"
"Oh I am doing great PEWS how are you - you old rascal"
"Oh don't stand to close to me you blacks sure do smell - haha just kidding."
etc I could go on.

Racist jokes are just out of order period. There's nothing funny about them PEWS in any context.

Anyways enough said. In the future I will stay out of racism discussions as they bring out the worst sides of people.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Okay I'm as sensitive as they come about racism but even that is a bit silly. Banter is banter, and context is king.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Name calling, or even a one off derogatory ethnic based remark, are not racism.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sohag Gazi looks a reasonably promising bowler for Bangladesh.

He seems to naturally bowl quite well to left handers, spinning the ball away from them. When bowling to RH bats, I'm not exactly sure how he plans to get them out. From what I've seen Sohag doesn't appear to have much variety, but he is certainly a better option compared to say a Razzak.

I predict he'll finish his career with a bowling average of around 42-44 which will sadly make him close to Bangladesh ATG XI contention.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My guess is that he'll prove to be a much better player of pace than spin.

Has pretty hard hands and looks like he's one of those batters who plants his front pad as a matter of course and has to play around it.
Probably right, play this series and then get dropped for NZ where he would do better and Root will do well.

Compton seems to have the same strike rotation problem as Kieswetter in the shorter game, must be a Somerset thing.