• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag keen to build on Ranji ton

ViruTheBest

Banned
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/content/story/590076.html

Virender Sehwag, who scored a fighting century for Delhi in the Ranji Trophy match against Uttar Pradesh on Monday, refused to be drawn into the debate about his form. His innings of 107 - his first century in any form of cricket in 11 months and his first in Ranji Trophy in six years - couldn't prevent Delhi's defeat, but it allayed the doubts over his indifferent form. Sehwag said he was happy to have scored the century and hoped to bat well in the upcoming Test series against England.

"I am happy that I scored 100 against UP. Whether I am back in form or not, is not for me to decide but I thought I played well enough and hope to do well (against England)," he told PTI.

Sehwag, who scored 25 in the first innings, suffered a cut on his ring finger when a chance off Mohammad Kaif flew past him at first slip on the second day. He didn't take the field for the first two sessions on the third day and only came out to bat at No. 6 as Delhi's bid to save the match started faltering. He batted for almost four hours and faced 165 balls during his innings.

"My injury forced me to bat in the middle order," he said. "The doctor did not give me local anaesthesia on time. The team management decides [the move to] the middle order and not the player himself.

"My finger is getting better. It's fine at the moment."

There have been concerns over the form of Sehwag and his opening partner, Gautam Gambhir. But Sehwag, like Gambhir, believes they are still the best openers in India, and refused to comment on the selectors' decision to pick two more openers in the squad for England, Ajinkya Rahane and M Vijay.

"Yes, we are [the best opening pair in the country]. The decision [to include two more openers] is taken by the national selectors. They know it well."

Sehwag is also close to a personal milestone. He is just two matches short of becoming only the ninth Indian player to play 100 Tests. "It was my dream to play for my country. Since the time I achieved that, my next dream has been to perform well and play 100 Tests for India. I am very happy that moment is coming soon," he said.
Brilliant news. I can honestly see this guy scoring heavy soon. He holds the record in ODI's, has surpassed 290 on 3 occasion with the Don and should become the first player to hit 3 test triple 100's. Also the fastest triple century. He really has revolutionised test opening and ensured that no target set is safe.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Viru's fan boi, ignore this Smali kid and keep marching ahead. And yes he will surely score a triple and who knows maybe he'll break Lara's record.

ViruTheBest

Banned
Viru's fan boi, ignore this Smali kid and keep marching ahead. And yes he will surely score a triple and who knows maybe he'll break Lara's record.
Lara's record is a tough one. It's very rare to have such an inept bowling performance to allow a single player to get to 400*.

But he will regain his form. There have been a few instances in the champions league and ranji which show he will return to his standards.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lara made 501 in a FC match. Could Viru do it IN A TEST?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Inept bowling led to Lara's 400? Hardly it was a flattish, pitch and the best batsman of the past 20 years.

ViruTheBest

Banned
Inept bowling led to Lara's 400? Hardly it was a flattish, pitch and the best batsman of the past 20 years.
Remind me what Lara did in that series prior to that match? You collapsed for under 300 in the first innings. No denying Lara was a great batsmen and the pitch was flat, but an international team allowing a player to score 400* is very poor. If it was easy a lot of players would have done it against lower opposition but it still doesn't always happen.

It requires everything to go right. It did for Lara against supposedly a good quality attack.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Lara scored 400 because the pitch was good and he was even better the fact that England kept him suppressed is more testimony to the bowlers than anything else.

County standard is appalling and can't compare.
And of course the FC system which has provided us with such great pace bowlers such as Sreesanth and Ishant Sharma is of course a wondrous benchmark of bowling ability. 8-) Its really a struggle to say the county level during the 90's was appalling when you had tons of world class top quality players in it.

ViruTheBest

Banned
Lara scored 400 because the pitch was good and he was even better the fact that England kept him suppressed is more testimony to the bowlers than anything else.

And of course the FC system which has provided us with such great pace bowlers such as Sreesanth and Ishant Sharma is of course a wondrous benchmark of bowling ability. 8-) Its really a struggle to say the county level during the 90's was appalling when you had tons of world class top quality players in it.
In the 90's you had regulars like Atherton, Hussain and Hick. Says it all really. It's a batsmen's game and that's where we are above the rest. Our domestic is littered with so many class batsmen.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Its a batsmen's game only when the pitches are so piss poor they don't offer anything to the bowlers in he 90s you had the mix of high quality attacks on decks tha aided them. You couldn't expect many if any of the batsmen going round at the moment to have played some of the knocks that Atherton in particular played. In fact you've probably only got perhaps 3 or 4 batsman who would've been able to.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
even on piss poor pitches good bowling counts..reason why Robin Smith's 175 in the Lara 375 test is a better knock than 375 itself..am i hearing people laugh? but it is IMO

Satyanash89

Banned
Going by this logic, i hope clarke had batted on till he was 500 in sydney, just to drive how just how totally ,pathetically ****ing inept our attack is.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the thread title relates to how much he weighed when put on the scales during the week.