0 0%
  • Dinesh Kartik

0 0%
  • Any other (specify)

2 8.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: indian wicket keeper

indian wicket keeper

who u guys think should be the long term indian wicket keeper.

i will go with ratra. his record speaks for himself.

Dravid
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Originally posted by jamee999
    Dravid

dravid is just a temporary wicket-keeper.

in ODI's, rahul dravid

IN test matches,i think it's asking 2 much from him to keep a whole match and be a vital cog in the batting line-up...Too unreliable as a keeper for a test match as well

I'd go with deep Dasgupta...His batting sets him above the rest, and he's improved his keeping tremendously....Let's remember,when Gilchrist first started keeping,he wasn't that good at all,but now his keeping is brilliant (we've been over this b4,and YES,his keeping is now world class...some ppl r too blind to see the improvement)

So with some time and proper training,dasgupta can become a good keeper as well..he's already shown signs of improvement

By playing dasgupta,they have room for perhaps another bowler,or an allrounder in the team...This is why australia have been so succesful...Gilchrist allows them to play another bowler or an allrounder

U19 Debutant
    Nayan Mongia is the best 'keeper in India isn't he?

BTW, I don't think it's accurate to say Gilchrist 'wasn't that good at all' when he started.........I can't remember too many dropped catches or missed stumpings in his first 20 or so tests.....and he had to keep to Warne.

Tim
    From what I remember, Mongia was a good keeper & he was more than capable of scoring handy runs with the bat too.
    The only reason why he's not playing is because of his age.

i remember one game a few years ago,navjot sidhu and nayan mongia opened the batting and tore the aussie bowling to shreds... He is an excellent wicket keeper,and a pretty damn good batsman... I think he had a fall-out with some administrator or the captain or something,bcoz he's not even in consideration now...

Age MIGHT b the reason,but a gut feeling tells me it isn't

the reason of not even including mongia and dravid in the poll is -

mongia is too old and wont be a long term wicket keeper.

dravid, hasnt been too impressive in keeping. he doesnt have the reflexes to stump a batsman and lets not put added responsibilities on him.

Patel for me but his keeping is going down lately. If he doesn't improve then i would go for Dasgupta as he is said to have improved his keeping. Also i wouldn't look at anyone as longterm as who knows in 2 yrs there maybe another very good keeper coming . Kartik has been doing very well in U-19's and so i expect him to be in contention in 2 yrs. Prasad has been the highest scorer for Andhra in the last 2 seasons and so don't rule him out too.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    i will go with ratra. his record speaks for himself.
    Ratra's record - 6 tests , 163 runs @ 18.11 , 1 X 100 , 0 X 50 , 11 catches , 2 stumpings.

72.3% of Ratra's runs came in one innings , other than that he's done nothing.

12 ODI's , 90 runs @ 12.85 , SR 70.86 , 11 catches , 5 stumpings.

50 FC matches , 1662 runs @ 25.18 , 2 X 100 , 9 X 50 , 114 catches , 15 stumpings.

38 List A matches , 471 runs @ 20.47 , 0 X 100 , 2 X 50 , 37 catches , 8 stumpings.

Amits , Ratra's record is modest to say the least , "His record speaks for itself " is something you say when a player has a good record , Ratra has played one good innings in his international carear , nearly 3 quarters of his runs came in one of his ten innings.

I went for Parthiv , his keeping looked very solid to me , just the one mistake , but even the best stuff up now & then.

His batting showed a lot of determination , he selected his shots wisely & knew when to leave alone.

I beleive he will develope into one of the better keeper / batsman in the world by the time he's 25 , likely not quite in the same class as Gilchrist , Stewart & Flower , but still a very valuable contributor.

Unlike many who have gone before him he did not look oveawed by the situation , he was pumped & looked like he wanted to be out there , he beleived India could win (although not quite to the same extent as you Amits :P ).

Long term he is the best option IMO , Nayan Mongia is clearly the best keeper in India ATM , he was very solid behind the stumps & although his batting was inconsistent he could take an attack apart on his day , as Australia found out as Dehli in 1996.
    However age comes into it so I understand him not being there now , although its not exactly what I'd do if I were in charge.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Im going for Patel, easily

It takes guts (and grapefruits) to face Australia at 18 years old and play test cricket, he's done very well for me.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Patel... he has showed promising signs with his batting. He can only improve on what is already an impressive career.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Banned
    Canberra (in body), Perth (in spirit), Nagoya (in the future)
    Patel for me, too. Perhaps Mongia copped the 'Graeme Smith to Lance Klusener' treatment.

Originally posted by furious_ged
    Patel for me, too. Perhaps Mongia copped the 'Graeme Smith to Lance Klusener' treatment.
    Exactly
    the real cricket-fan

Originally posted by amits
    the reason of not even including mongia and dravid in the poll is -

mongia is too old and wont be a long term wicket keeper.

Sorry Amit, I have to strongly disagree with u. Mongia is not that old(32).
    It is known to all that he is a victim of favourism .There's no doubt about his talent and clearly he is the no.1 indian wktkeeper( according to Siddu, Shastri..I heard from ESPN).There was an incident(2001 or 2002) when India toured (NZL or ENG), Mongia was called to replace injured Ratra. Not only he was denied chances to play but also nobody talked to him in the dressing room. He was not even considered for selection, after that. Later somebody in Indian team gave the hint secretly that it'was the Captain's dislike that worked against Mongia.(Mongia was Azhar's favourite.THose who had connection with Azhar were sacked.The only exception is Laxman)
    But he still plays for Zaheer's state team Baroda.
    So there's no point in not including his name in the list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information