• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ 1st test side

anzac

International Debutant
meatspx said:
I think some people on this forum have been bagging Oram unfairly. His batting can be extremely good, his only weakness is that he can play too defensively. If Bracewell can encourage him to have a more positive mindset then that problem will be solved, and anyway his defensive innings have helped us in the test matches against India last year.

I'm not sure about Wilson........Every man and his dog can get wickets in NZ FC. If Wilson is not another medium-fast bowler and actually has some pace (135km +), then he can do well in international cricket.

agreed re Oram....

Wilson has been reported as bowling above 135 ks v Auckland so it would appear he is showing the same sort of form that got him selected in ODIs nearly 10 years ago. In all honesty if Wilson continues this form then I can see few other bowling options for the Test squad apart from Adams.

Should the likes of Tuffey & Oram come thru the Test seris ok for the ODIs, then I can seen no reason why Wilson should not get a shot in the ODIs ahead of the likes of Mills, Mason, Hitchcock & even Butler.

With it being another 5 ODI series I do not believe seeing both Butler & Wilson getting a start is beyond the realms of possibility considering that the bowling options have yet to be resolved, although I do believe that Adams will get a start on current form.

:)

THE MINGSTER

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Astle will never bowl again, because of his injury and there is talk that he might just never play ODI's again in order to play more Test matches.

Oram is an attacking player, he has shown that.

I really don't know here you guys get it that he is a defensive player. Really.

THE MINGSTER

meatspx said:
I think some people on this forum have been bagging Oram unfairly. His batting can be extremely good, his only weakness is that he can play too defensively. If Bracewell can encourage him to have a more positive mindset then that problem will be solved, and anyway his defensive innings have helped us in the test matches against India last year.

I'm not sure about Wilson........Every man and his dog can get wickets in NZ FC. If Wilson is not another medium-fast bowler and actually has some pace (135km +), then he can do well in international cricket.
If Tuffey (125-130) is fast-medium, when he should really just be medium fast, then Wilson who bowls (130-135) should be fast medium. Agarkar bowls at Wilson range and he is only medium fast. Argh all this is confusing me.....:D

Kent

State 12th Man
I think I'm starting to realise how little can be drawn from F/C cricket, even for home tests. On a stats basis Tama Canning would be a dead cert as our leading domestic wicket-taker last season, yet if I saw Canning at a local park I doubt I'd even look twice. Looking at Wilson's beefy frame, thinning hair and halting action, I have fears he may join the Wisneskis and Penns we've had over the years. We'll see.

Coney described Marshall as a fine collector of runs, which reminded me of an article in the Sunday paper blaming our pitches for the blaze-or-die approach of most Kiwi batsman. It's hard to work the ball because of the inconsistencies in pace, bounce and line. Perhaps this is part of why he's only averaging about 25?

I see Cairns is playing for Canterbury on Friday, replacing McMillan as captain which to me suggests he will be in the test XI. Possibly as NZ captain as well, with Fleming failing a fitness test and is still in doubt for both that game and the tests.

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I'm really looking forward to this series.

Unlike the other subcontinental sides, Pakistan have done quite well in NZ over the years and would fancy their chances.
But NZ still start favourites.

Should be well contested though.

shaka

International Regular
I think we are all reaching conclusions when stephen fleming hasnt even been confirmed to play in the first test due to injury, and the same goes with Robbie Hart.

Perhaps Marshall would play at number 3 in place of fleming and Cairns would be test captain for the 1st test, and so would be in the test squad, not many other players could be considered as captaincy material at this stage in their careers.

What would happen if Hart is ruled out of the 1st test, McCullum would need to improve his keeping skills (he missed a few chances).

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
I've been watching another young guy Jordan Sheed who plays for Otago.

When I played in a Nelson tournament a few years ago, Sheed was playing for Otago Boys High & he scored quite a few runs. But he's played for Otago for about 2 years now & can't buy a run.
The gy is absolutley we have better batsmen going around i club cricket, but this ******** keeps on getting selected.:!(

Back to the test side Peter Fulton would be my nomination to make it, dam good player.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Kent said:
I think I'm starting to realise how little can be drawn from F/C cricket, even for home tests. On a stats basis Tama Canning would be a dead cert as our leading domestic wicket-taker last season, yet if I saw Canning at a local park I doubt I'd even look twice. Looking at Wilson's beefy frame, thinning hair and halting action, I have fears he may join the Wisneskis and Penns we've had over the years. We'll see.
Yea but wilson is a CHAMPION and champions suceed at everything they do.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the newspapers are starting to suggest what the team will be & could surprise.

It appears as though, (going by rumours) that McIntosh, Marshall, Wilson & Adams are the 4 that could get either a surprise call up or in Adams case a recall.

But I just can't see McIntosh being selected ahead of Richard Jones. I know alot of people will complain, but the fact is that Jones has been taken on tours to Sri Lanka & India therefore he should be given 1st dibs at playing test cricket before McIntosh.

Bracewell may decide to start with a clean slate & so maybe Jones will fall out of favour.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Cairns is available? I thought I heard he had retired from tests. Did I hear wrong, or has he since retracted his test reitrement?

THE MINGSTER

Mister Wright said:
So Cairns is available? I thought I heard he had retired from tests. Did I hear wrong, or has he since retracted his test reitrement?
Don't know where you heard that from.

Cairns wants to be the Test captain if Fleming is not available.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah...I can't remember where I heard it either. I think it was after several injury problems that he was having, and he said if he couldn't bowl he wouldn't play, which surprised me because I thought even if he didn't bowl he would have an important role in the side as a batsman.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
www.nzcricket.co.nz are starting up live ball by ball scoring of domestic matches now.
And it's not in association with Cricinfo either, which is interesting.

It begins this Friday with Canterbury v Wellington.

deeps

International 12th Man
pakistan's gonna crush new zealand......no matter wat team they send out! im sorry,but it's the truth!

:cool2: :cool2:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if NZ produce seaming pitches like they did for India..I don't think it'll be 2-0 in favour of NZ, despite the fact that Pakistan could be just as bad India batting on those tracks...Shoaib & Sami won't be as easy to bat against.

If I recall rightly last time Pakistan were here...NZ were thrashed at Eden Park, which isn't much of a seamer...a draw was played out at CHCH & that was basically a road because Youhana & Sinclair both scored 200's & at Hamilton NZ absolutely annihilated Pakistan.

The 2 tests this time are at Hamilton & Wellington, so if NZ find a balance in the pitches then I wouldn't rule them out winning the series.

anzac

International Debutant
THE MINGSTER said:
Don't know where you heard that from.

Cairns wants to be the Test captain if Fleming is not available.

he may want it but IMO he does not deserve to be in the squad on form.......

so far as Captaincy goes his efforts in the ODI series hardly install confidence in his abilities.......

Macca was the vice captain prior to sitting it out to SRL - who was vice captain on the Indian Tour??????

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
Well if NZ produce seaming pitches like they did for India..I don't think it'll be 2-0 in favour of NZ, despite the fact that Pakistan could be just as bad India batting on those tracks...Shoaib & Sami won't be as easy to bat against.

If I recall rightly last time Pakistan were here...NZ were thrashed at Eden Park, which isn't much of a seamer...a draw was played out at CHCH & that was basically a road because Youhana & Sinclair both scored 200's & at Hamilton NZ absolutely annihilated Pakistan.

The 2 tests this time are at Hamilton & Wellington, so if NZ find a balance in the pitches then I wouldn't rule them out winning the series.

the weather is playing it's usual tricks with the final day washouts......however these games have produced decent innings & individual scores so they are not seamer's tracks........

here's hoping the weather holds off enough for the pitches to be readied in time...........