• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is The Greatest West Indies Batsman of All Time

Who is The Greatest West Indies Batsman of All Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love the even distribution. There's no other side that will have such an even contest been these many contenders for the title of the best batsman.
Yup, this is a great poll result :) Maybe South Africa might have a similar 3-way fight between Graeme Pollock, Barry Richards, and Jacques Kallis if we have a poll.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yup, this is a great poll result :) Maybe South Africa might have a similar 3-way fight between Graeme Pollock, Barry Richards, and Jacques Kallis if we have a poll.
England might be close as well; Hobbs, Hammond and Grace all have their admirers, and I'm sure we'd get the odd deluded Pietersen vote too. Certainly nothing like this though, admittedly.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England might be close as well; Hobbs, Hammond and Grace all have their admirers, and I'm sure we'd get the odd deluded Pietersen vote too. Certainly nothing like this though, admittedly.
I always figured that Hobbs was undisputed in English history. Many may disagree, but I am pretty sure he would be ahead by a margin in a poll.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I will have to fully check but intially I don't believe that regional cricket was afforded first class status and most of the matches were between Barbados, Trinidad and Guyana, mainly because of geographic considerations. He would have played most of his first class matches againts the two Lord Tennyson's teams and tour matches on the W.I tours to the U.K and Australia.
Nice article on the great man.
Wisden - George Headley

smash84

The Tiger King
Love the even distribution. There's no other side that will have such an even contest been these many contenders for the title of the best batsman.
yep, very evenly distributed. A testament to the skills of WI players over the years. There is no undisputed king despite all of them being once in a generation players

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Woah! This is very close.

I voted for Sir Viv. I haven't watched him bat live but from the old videos and highlights I've seen he was magnificent.

Days of Grace

International Captain
On my ratings, I have currently got:
3. Sobers
4. Headley
5. Richards
6. Lara

It really depends on whether you think Headley played enough matches for us to make a complete evaluation of him. I have factored in his lack of matches, which is why he is 4th behind Bradman, Hobbs, and Sobers, and not a clear 2nd.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haven't seen a better batsman than Lara but voted for Sir Garry based on everything I have read over the years..

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with the first part, at his best I don't think B.C. Lara had an equal, but apparently the same was said about Sobers and Sobers was more consistent. But the fact that Lara tamed the two greatest spinners of all time and produced 4 or 5 amazing innings againts one of the greatest attacks ever is just hard to ignore.
All four are just top class, gold tier.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I rate Lara above Viv, and have never seen the others bat (seen clips of Sobers, but thats not enough for me to judge someone).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Headley's difficulty is that more than half his Test runs were scored against England attacks shorn of their top bowlers so I ruled him out.

I voted for Sobers because I was fortunate enough to see him bat and he was quite outstanding - he lived life to the full, and generally burned the candle at both ends and played more cricket than he should have - had he had the mindset of Bradman, and played the same amount of cricket and bowled as often as The Don, then I think he'd have had the same batting average as the great man.
That is a pretty amazing tribute to the man, fred.. And gotta say it makes me rate him even more now, considering how good his bowling was as a medium pacer from all that I ve read as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree with the first part, at his best I don't think B.C. Lara had an equal, but apparently the same was said about Sobers and Sobers was more consistent. But the fact that Lara tamed the two greatest spinners of all time and produced 4 or 5 amazing innings againts one of the greatest attacks ever is just hard to ignore.
All four are just top class, gold tier.
There was a spell during the "Super Test" when Lara and Dravid were batting in the second innings for the World XI against Warne and if there was another left hander who could have batted the way Lara did with Warne in that form on that track, I have missed out on something great.. IMO, those were conditions when no leftie would have been able to stay in for 30 mins against Warne, forget about scoring runs and Lara was doing both and looking at ease doing all that. Awesome doesn't even begin to describe how good he was at certain times...

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I went for Lara..combination of brutish batting and poetry.. even-though he gave the impression a "body serve" would knock his periscope off..