• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English ATG Team- Open Voting

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Same as the Australian thread. The idea is to create an AT English XI by open voting.

There will be four categories:

- Opening batsmen (2)
- Middle order batsmen (4)
- Wicketkeeper (1)
- Bowlers (4)

- Some players (Botham & Alec Stewart, for example) will appear in two categories. So, if you want Botham as an all-rounder batting at six, please select him as a middle order batsman. If you want him as an all rounder batting somewhere from 7-11, please select him as one of your four bowlers. This is not entirely fair I guess, but I can't think of another way without forcing the selection of an all-rounder.

You may wish to vote for players other than the ones I list. That's fine.

We'll start with the openers, please select two of the following:

Geoff Boycott
Graham Gooch
Mike Atherton
Andrew Strauss
Len Hutton
Alastair Cook
Marcus Trescothick
Jack Hobbs
Herb Sutcliffe
Alec Stewart
Michael Vaughan
Dennis Amiss
Arthur Shewsbury
WG Grace
Archie MacLaren
CB Fry
Cyril Washbrook
John Edrich

(England have produced a lot of ****ing good openers!)

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Jack Hobbs and Len Hutton.

Two of the top three English batsmen of All Time and the pair chosen by Cricinfo for the World All Time XI. Lets not over think this one by trying to be too cute guys.

Red

Hobbs and Hutton for me, but seriously tempted to take Boycott over Hutton.

watson

Banned
Hobbs and Hutton for me, but seriously tempted to take Boycott over Hutton.
Boycott was a great batsman as far as the art of batting goes, but his personality was too selfish and myopic. He fails as a team player.

Red

Boycott was a great batsman as far as the art of batting goes, but his personality was too selfish and myopic. He fails as a team player.
Yep, that's what sways me.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
England's collection of openers is absolutely in a class of its own, and this list is missing quite a few great ones (especially golden oldies) including off the top of my head:

WG Grace
Arthur Shrewsbury
Archie MacLaren
CB Fry
Cyril Washbrook
John Edrich

For me England have produced the three greatest openers of all time, and four of the top six. With no restrictions I'd pick Grace and Hobbs and offer my profuse apologies to Sir Len. However, as we are tending to pick Test-specific XIs I'm more than happy to go with the consensus of Hobbs and Hutton. Sutcliffe bloody unlucky, as he would unquestionably make any other team.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Perm any two from Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Hutton - if forced to choose I'd omit Sutcliffe, but only just

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hobbs and Sutcliffe.

Herb is, like maybe only Kenny Barrington, that rarest of things: an underrated English ATG.

Red

England's collection of openers is absolutely in a class of its own, and this list is missing quite a few great ones (especially golden oldies) including off the top of my head:

WG Grace
Arthur Shrewsbury
Archie MacLaren
CB Fry
Cyril Washbrook
John Edrich

For me England have produced the three greatest openers of all time, and four of the top six. With no restrictions I'd pick Grace and Hobbs and offer my profuse apologies to Sir Len. However, as we are tending to pick Test-specific XIs I'm more than happy to go with the consensus of Hobbs and Hutton. Sutcliffe bloody unlucky, as he would unquestionably make any other team
Thanks mate, I've added in your recommendations to the first list. I shouldn't have forgotten Grace, big oversight on my part.

Actually, it's more than that Monk. From what I gather, Geoff Boycott fails as a human being. Bit nasty I know, but true none-the-less.
I don't know about that. I do know he was very difficult in a team environment. Great batsman though.

watson

Banned
Hobbs and Sutcliffe.

Herb is, like maybe only Kenny Barrington, that rarest of things: an underrated English ATG.
I don't think that anyone under-rates Sutcliffe. It's more to do with the fact that Hutton is so damned good.

On the other hand, Barrington is too often forgotten. Although probably for good reason - he has a reputation as being an overly defensive batsman.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think that anyone under-rates Sutcliffe. It's more to do with the fact that Hutton is so damned good.

On the other hand, Barrington is too often forgotten. Although probably for good reason - he has a reputation as being an overly defensive batsman.
Awta.

Spot on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hutton had his issues against pace. Famously dropped during the invincibles' tour for (perceived) windiness under fire. Unquestionably a great, but Sutcliffe's temperament was the classical "none shall pass" opener's mindset.

Herb's also the only player other than Bradman to end his career with a 60+ average after having played 50 tests.