Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: English ATG Team- Open Voting

Trueman + Larwood

Mahjong Champion!
    Trueman and Tyson( one o the astest i not the astest pommie bowlers I have ever witnessed)
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Even if one goes with the premise that Barnes was a fast bolwer, he averaged 21.5 with a s/r of 54 vs Australia and 9.85 and 25 vs South Africa. Was his numbers againts Australia that much better that other bolwers of the era?
    Similarily Frank Tyson averaged 25 with a s/r of 53 vs Australia but againts New Zealand, Pakistan and South Africa averaged 10.94, 11.4, 16.27 respectively.

My final vote goes to Fred Trueman and Bob Willis. Tyson just missed out, though his pace would be rather unsettling. Really Trueman and either of Tyson or Willis I would be happy with.
    Last edited by kyear2; 03-11-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Larwood and Barnes
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Even if one goes with the premise that Barnes was a fast bolwer, he averaged 21.5 with a s/r of 54 vs Australia and 9.85 and 25 vs South Africa. Was his numbers againts Australia that much better that other bolwers of the era?
    Most wickets v Oz in the 1900s

& the 1910s.

Maybe not as much in as I'd have guessed, actually.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Barnes was quick when he wanted to be, but no where near as quick as Larwood, Trueman, Snow or Tyson who would all properly appreciate a shiny new ball.

Also, by operating with the new ball his prime wicket taking delivery - the leg-spinner - has been somewhat nullified. I don't think that it is possible for a finger spinner to impart maximum revs on a new ball.
    Fully agree, was he supposedly that much faster than Underwood, Verity or O'Reilly? Any of the bolwers you mentioned would make better use of the new ball.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Fully agree, was he supposedly that much faster than Underwood, Verity or O'Reilly? Any of the bolwers you mentioned would make better use of the new ball.
    I always consider Barnes as a bowler who sent them down at 120-ish and O'Reilly at 105 or so, for comparison.

Don't think one can really rip a big leggie at 120ish?

International 12th Man
    SF Barnes and Fred Trueman get my votes

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I always consider Barnes as a bowler who sent them down at 120-ish and O'Reilly at 105 or so, for comparison.
    So why would you want Barnes as one of your opening bowlers if he is going to bowl as quick as Arjuna Ranatunga?

Eds
    Fred Trueman & Sydney Barnes.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Bradman was under the impression that Barnes and O'Reilly were very similar bowlers. Granted he never saw Barnes in action, but it is very likely that he would have spoken to plenty of people who did.

Therefore, opening the bowling with Barnes would be like opening the bowling with O'Reilly, minus the googly, which Barnes never bowled. It's do-able of course, but I think that Trueman and Snow/Larwood would be more effective.

Barnes would be more likely to pick up wickets as a first change bowler once he could grip the ball better IMO.
    Last edited by watson; 03-11-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Trueman & Barnes
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Eds
    At the end of the day, Sydney Barnes was an opening bowler. That's where he bowled. And in that position, he was more successful than any of the other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    At the end of the day, Sydney Barnes was an opening bowler. That's where he bowled. And in that position, he was more successful than any of the other options.
    So were all the other options though.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information