Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: English ATG Team- Open Voting

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    West Indies I reckon. Which should please you!

Picking the West Indies team will be pretty complicated IMO. We should leave the openers till last I reckon.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Picking the West Indies team will be pretty complicated IMO. We should leave the openers till last I reckon.
    After the English one, I thought about possible changes. Will def do the bowlers as a unit of 4, then 4 middle order batsmen, 2 openers and a keeper. Why do you think openers last?

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    After the English one, I thought about possible changes. Will def do the bowlers as a unit of 4, then 4 middle order batsmen, 2 openers and a keeper. Why do you think openers last?
    Well keeper last would be fine too, but we should definitely pick the West Indian openers after we pick the middle order, because their middle order options are so much better than their opening options that people might want to shoehorn players. We won't know which players we should be considering shoehorning until the actual middle order is picked.

The West Indies 11 is the easiest to choose to me, only two spots really up for consideration. Is the fourth bowler another fast bowler (Garner/ Roberts) or a spinner (Gibbs) and who partners Greenidge (Hunte/ Haynes/ Worrell). The middle order of Headley, Richards, Lara and Sobers is a lock and the best for any nation and the first three bowlers, Marshall, Ambrose and Holding are equally assured of their spots. Walcott is equally a lock for me and with this team his keeping load would be much less than when he kept for endless hours for Ramadin and Valentine.
    Should be fun.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Will wait for Monk to make the final announcement, but for now the team looks to be.
    Hobbs
    Hutton
    Hammond
    Barrington
    Compton
    Botham
    Knott
    Larwood
    Laker
    Trueman
    Barnes

If I can be honest, this team just looks weaker than the Aussie's and what the projected S.A and W.I. squads. Only one true ATG quickie and three true top tier ATG batsmen. Would still contend with the Pakistani squad for a place in the semi's.
    There's at least four top tier ATG batsmen there, potentially five depending on how highly one rates Barrington. I've never classified Barnes as a "spinner", more a medium-fast bowler who could spin the ball as well.

Looking at that England team and my projected line-ups for the other countries I think it's far more than just a "contender" for a semi-final spot:

- The opening combination is absolutely in a class of its own
    - The 3-4-5 ranks at least equal with India's (Dravid-Tendulkar-Hazare/Vishy/Laxman) and behind only Australia and WI
    - Botham as a matchwinner stands comparison with anyone
    - Knotty belongs in the discussion of the best 'keepers of all time, and a more than handy bat
    - Only Australia and Sri Lanka will field a better spinner

In fact the only element of the England side that I wouldn't place in the top two or three is the pace/medium-pace attack of Trueman-Larwood-Barnes-Botham, which I would rank fourth or fifth behind WI, Australia and Pakistan, and probably level with South Africa. And even then I think the gap is a ditch rather than a chasm.

Overall I'd back the England team to definitely make the semi-finals where they would probably - only probably, mind - lose to Australia or the West Indies, but then win the bronze medal play-off against whichever of South Africa or Pakistan got that far as well.
    Last edited by The Sean; 14-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

I rate Barrington higher than most others. Very highly in fact. He has a reputation as a stone-waller, very slow bat, but in reality, he could bat as quick as most. Was very difficult to dismiss, and on top of all that he was a cracking team man.

In this team, with the likes of Compton and Botham, he is the perfect man to bat all day.

Could envisage him and Hammond having a massive partnership as well.

This is a serious batting line up. Best openers. Hammond and Barrington. Compton and Botham. Knott a very good batsman. Larwood capable.

500+ is a definite possibility if they bat first. And you don't lose many games from that position.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread Information