Cricket Player Manager
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: English ATG Team- Open Voting

Grace and Underwood

Looks like we're going to end up with an attack consisting of 1 x Fast Bowler, 1 x Medium Fast Bowler,1 x Medium Pace Spinner, and 2 x Slow Spinners.

The other ATG teams must be wetting themselves with laughter and falling over eachother to pad-up;

01. Laker = 11
    02. Verity = 8
    03. Larwood = 6
    04. Grace = 5 (what the?)
    05. Bedser = 3
    06. Tyson = 3
    07. Underwood = 3
    08. Rhodes = 2
    09. Snow = 2

Perhaps we should start again. This time having separate polls - one for the two pace bowlers, and one for the spinners spot?

Or just take the most popular spinner, and the most popular pace bowler from this exististing poll? That would give us Laker and Larwood thus far.
    Last edited by watson; 08-11-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - David Gower - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Looks like we're going to end up with an attack consisting of 1 x Fast Bowler, 1 x Medium Fast Bowler,1 x Medium Pace Spinner, and 2 x Slow Spinners.

The other ATG teams must be wetting themselves with laughter;

01. Laker = 11
    02. Verity = 8
    03. Larwood = 6
    05. Bedser = 3
    06. Tyson = 3
    07. Underwood = 3
    08. Rhodes = 2
    09. Snow = 2

Perhaps we should start again. This time having separate polls - one for the two pace bowlers, and one for the spinners spot???
    I just tallied them up as well as you posted this. Thanks mate.

I don't think we need to start again though. We've ended up with a decent indication. We have Trueman (undoubtably an opening bowler), SF Barnes (the greatest opening bowler from his era), Botham (a very decent fast/med first change) and two high quality different styled spinners. Added to that, Verity's batting adds to the tail.

So if nothing else changes, we end up with...

- Jack Hobbs
    - Len Hutton
    - Wally Hammond
    - Ken Barrington
    - Dennis Compton
    - Ian Botham
    - Allan Knott
    - Hedley Verity
    - Jim Laker
    - Fred Trueman
    - SF Barnes

Changes to the cricinfo team are:

- Compton over Pieterson
    - Verity over Larwood
    - Laker over Underwood

Or just take the most popular spinner, and the most popular pace bowler from this exististing poll? That would give us Laker and Larwood thus far.

An ATG team without a pair of fast bowlers is unthinkable.

Lillee + Thomson, Holding + Roberts, Lindwall + Miller, Gregory + McDonald, McGrath + Gillespie/Lee, Waqar + Wasim etc etc have all won 'countless' Test matches. Two quicks opening the bowling is the most proven method for winning games of cricket in the history of cricket.
    Last edited by watson; 08-11-2012 at 02:29 PM.

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar

The other ATG teams must be wetting themselves with laughter;

01. Laker = 11
    02. Verity = 8
    03. Larwood = 6
    05. Bedser = 3
    06. Tyson = 3
    07. Underwood = 3
    08. Rhodes = 2
    09. Snow = 2

Perhaps we should start again. This time having separate polls - one for the two pace bowlers, and one for the spinners spot?

It's killing me but I think i have to let this out; this side will collapse in a heap many times and someone from top 5 will be stranded alone. It's a serious pressure on top 5 to score heavily, they are very much capable of doing it often but the difference is they will be facing ATG attack. But this extra amount of pressure might bring out the best in them.

I would rather prefer a solid no.6, One Spinner, Three Fast Bowlers and Hammond as 5th option here.
    Last edited by AndyZaltzHair; 08-11-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyZaltzHair View Post
    It's killing me but I think i have to let this out; this side will collapse in a heap many times and someone from top 5 will be stranded alone. It's a serious pressure on top 5 to score heavily, they are very much capable of doing it often but the difference is they will be facing ATG attack. But this extra amount of pressure might bring out the best in them.

I would rather prefer a solid no.6, One Spinner, Three Fast Bowlers and Hammond as 5th option.
    Makes a lot of sense!

An ATG team without a pair of fast bowlers is unthinkable.

Lillee + Thomson, Holding + Roberts, Lindwall + Miller, Gregory + McDonald, McGrath + Gillespie, Waqar + Wasim etc etc have all won 'countless' Test matches. Two quicks opening the bowling is the most proven method for winning games of cricket in the history of cricket.

Corrected.

Playing one quick was quite normal in the earlier days of cricket. Playing no quicks was also quite common. It's only been since the 40s/50s/60s that two quicks have been common, then it's moved on to three, and now in some cases four.

Pre WW2 guys like Stan McCabe would often open the bowling for Australia, largely to get the shine off it so the spinners could do their job. I actually think this team is a nice nod to the past.

I'm happy to go with the consensus here Watson, which is what people voted for. The reason I left these two spots til last was because I wondered whether Botham would be in the team, and thought that would effect these last two votes. The people have spoken, democratically!

Perhaps we could set up a poll with the question:

'Is Ian Botham a viable No.6 batsman in the context of competing ATG teams?' (or something like that)

Then re-do the ATG England team again when the answer is 'No'.

Perhaps we could set up a poll with the question:

'Is Ian Botham a viable No.6 batsman in the context of competing ATG teams?' (or something like that)

Then re-do the ATG England team again when the answer is 'No'.
    Well, if you like. But considering enough people voted for him to bat 3-6 in this team for him to be selected....

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Corrected.

Playing one quick was quite normal in the earlier days of cricket. Playing no quicks was also quite common. It's only been since the 40s/50s/60s that two quicks have been common, then it's moved on to three, and now in some cases four.

Pre WW2 guys like Stan McCabe would often open the bowling for Australia, largely to get the shine off it so the spinners could do their job. I actually think this team is a nice nod to the past.

I'm happy to go with the consensus here Watson, which is what people voted for. The reason I left these two spots til last was because I wondered whether Botham would be in the team, and thought that would effect these last two votes. The people have spoken, democratically!
    And when 2 quicks were played in the 20s the Aussie team won the Ashes in a cake-walk.

Far for me to decry democracy - but I have to get things off my chest. We HAVE just defied proven cricket wisdom and logic.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    This is where you have to think carefully about how you choose your ATG sides. Ian Botham had a superb eye and a wonderful technique - had he never turned his arm over who knows what he might have achieved with the bat, so for me he has to be in any ATG side because of what he was demonstrably capable of - he was a much better batsman than his stats suggest

. We HAVE just defied proven cricket wisdom and logic.
    Not sure how. The team selected by cricinfo's experts had Botham at 6. I know experts aren't always right, but hardly seems we're defying wisdom when they selected him.

I'd probably agree we could have another quick in the team personally over Laker or Verity, considering SF Barnes seems to have been a quickish spinner.. But, the way people have voted has seen a different result.

And, tbh, I think having Botham in England's top six and Miller in Australia's is virtually the same thing.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I think part of the problem is that we're voting blind as to what the rest of the team will be to a certain extent. Selectorial decisions usually involve bartering and compromises as to the composition of the team.

For myself if I'd known Beefy was going to be batting #6 I might've gone for Matty Prior over Knotty. Equally if Beefy was selected in a "bowling" slot worries about the length of the tail would've been avoided.

Ditto a seam attack of Trueman, Barnes and Larwood. With Beefy and Knott at 6 & 7 I might've gone for the extra batting of Rhodes or Verity over Laker had I knowledge beforehand.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Not sure how. The team selected by cricinfo's experts had Botham at 6. I know experts aren't always right, but hardly seems we're defying wisdom when they selected him.

I'd probably agree we could have another quick in the team personally over Laker or Verity, considering SF Barnes seems to have been a quickish spinner.. But, the way people have voted has seen a different result.
    Ok, fair enough over the Botham thing, but not having Larwood/Snow/Tyson in the team to partner Trueman does seem a tad silly.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information