Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 71

Thread: The new Bradman

  1. #31
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,729
    top_cat. but tbf it was a different poster.

  2. #32
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Jesus I'm having a seizure here

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    56
    Who knows what Viru would have averaged in that era. Pie throwing old bowlers, no video analysis, pitches were easier e.t.c. Either way you cannot say Viru is Bradman or rather Bradman is Viru.

  4. #34
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,894
    Quote Originally Posted by ViruTheBest View Post

    I still maintain gym fitness is different to match fitness as Gavasker once pointed out too. I would rather have Indian players catching safely and spending many hours in the nets than working directly on fitness. If we had a limited talent pool then the Andy Flower approch would be crucial.
    The two things are not mutually exclusive. Even professional athletes don't hit the gym for more than a few hours per day. There's diminishing returns.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing


  5. #35
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,701
    **** it, I'm biting.

    Quote Originally Posted by ViruTheBest View Post
    Also saying Indian people don't have access to a gym early on hence why lack of emphasis on fitness is rubbish. Once you are cricketer you have the money in India to do what you want-get all sorts of coaches and trainers. It's more a cultural thing then lack of access. Also our players are so talented they haven't really had to work at something so much.

    I still maintain gym fitness is different to match fitness as Gavasker once pointed out too. I would rather have Indian players catching safely and spending many hours in the nets than working directly on fitness. If we had a limited talent pool then the Andy Flower approch would be crucial.
    Seems a little backwards - Indian players are so naturally talented that they need to work on the skills, whereas English guys are so naturally **** that they shouldn't bother to train?

    Surely if India is blessed with such talent, they'd need less time in the nets to get the same effect as the Poms, and therefore have more time to devote to fitness. And similarly, if England was crippled by a lack of talent, they'd surely be training rather than working purely on fitness.

    Your point is illogical and fallacious.


    Quote Originally Posted by ViruTheBest
    Who knows what Viru would have averaged in that era. Pie throwing old bowlers, no video analysis, pitches were easier e.t.c. Either way you cannot say Viru is Bradman or rather Bradman is Viru.
    Quit the trolling, eh?

  6. #36
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    If we're being honest, Sehwag is probably better than Bradman.

    Sehwag has had to play on much bigger outfields than Bradman, and although Bradman played the first half of his career under the 'one hand/one bounce' rule, Sehwag also had to deal with a much more bowler friendly LBW law.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  7. #37
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,995
    tie me to the mast
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  8. #38
    International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leeds, G.O.C.
    Posts
    2,436
    Week ban minimum for Skidmark
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    116
    Tony Greig always says that “match fitness it what counts” I could not agree more in the case of Sehwag he is an immensely gifted cricketer with some of the best hand eye coordination the game has ever seen, if you can strike a ball like he can or be as safe in the slips like he is then who cares about how many push ups you can do? It becomes irrelevant once you have the ability to execute better than the rest.

    Also we should not lose sight of exactly what Viru has achieved in Test Match Cricket, it is not as though he is some glorified slogger in the mould of say Luke Wright, Viru is one of only 4 men, Bradman included to make 2 Test triple hundreds and he was just a few runs away from making a 3rd.

  10. #40
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli_fan View Post
    Tony Greig always says that “match fitness it what counts” I could not agree more in the case of Sehwag he is an immensely gifted cricketer with some of the best hand eye coordination the game has ever seen, if you can strike a ball like he can or be as safe in the slips like he is then who cares about how many push ups you can do? It becomes irrelevant once you have the ability to execute better than the rest.
    So when he's failing or repeatedly injured so that he can't play (as in the last 2 years) I assume you agree that such things become much more relevant.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  11. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    **** it, I'm biting.



    Seems a little backwards - Indian players are so naturally talented that they need to work on the skills, whereas English guys are so naturally **** that they shouldn't bother to train?

    Surely if India is blessed with such talent, they'd need less time in the nets to get the same effect as the Poms, and therefore have more time to devote to fitness. And similarly, if England was crippled by a lack of talent, they'd surely be training rather than working purely on fitness.

    Your point is illogical and fallacious.

    I never said that. I said they are much more naturaly gifted than their english counterparts so it would be better for them to hone their skills by long hours at the nets than go crazy with gym fitness. A limited team like England strives on its fielding to be competitive. I had a friend who said Collingwood had made fielding a specialist position

  12. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    So when he's failing or repeatedly injured so that he can't play (as in the last 2 years) I assume you agree that such things become much more relevant.
    Injuries are part of the game, England work hard at their training and fitness yet Broad and Finn are injury concerns for them, Dwayne Bravo is an amazing athlete and he has been struggling with injuries.

    The fact of the matter while you do need match fitness, if you have the talent of Viru with the fast hands and great ball striking ability then fitness is not really all that important at all.

  13. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    If we're being honest, Sehwag is probably better than Bradman.

    Sehwag has had to play on much bigger outfields than Bradman, and although Bradman played the first half of his career under the 'one hand/one bounce' rule, Sehwag also had to deal with a much more bowler friendly LBW law.
    And no one can overlook the lack of video analysis and tactics back in the day. These days you can get a computer to work out exactly what someone's percentage shots are and number of dismissals to certain balls. You can actually work out exactly where to bowl to increase likelyhood of dismissal as Nasser Hussain once showed on sky.

  14. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli_fan View Post
    Injuries are part of the game, England work hard at their training and fitness yet Broad and Finn are injury concerns for them, Dwayne Bravo is an amazing athlete and he has been struggling with injuries.

    The fact of the matter while you do need match fitness, if you have the talent of Viru with the fast hands and great ball striking ability then fitness is not really all that important at all.
    Also Watson is a gym freak and is chronically injured. A lot of it down to genetics. Some players just don't get niggles.

  15. #45
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,995
    yeah that never happened to bradman...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mouth-watering analysis this
    By Zinzan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 12:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •