• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Meridio

International Regular
Don't think I've seen a tour thread yet, so, given that the 20/20 is tomorrow, here one is.

Schedule:

Oct 30: Twenty20 international, Pallekele

Nov 1: 1st ODI, Pallekele (d/n)
Nov 4: 2nd ODI, Colombo (d/n)
Nov 6: 3rd ODI, Colombo (d/n)
Nov 10: 4th ODI, Hambantota (d/n)
Nov 12: 5th ODI, Hambantota (d/n)

Nov 17-21: 1st Test, Galle
Nov 25-29: 2nd Test, Colombo (SSC)

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I'm lead to believe that 007 is the bowling coach while the team is out there anyone know if its a long term thing?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm lead to believe that 007 is the bowling coach while the team is out there anyone know if its a long term thing?
Yep, appointed earlier this month. Haven't seen confirmation of how long the contract's for, but I would assume through to the next WC.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In a weird way you could almost make the argument that it'd be better for NZ cricket if he stayed with CD, given how many promising bowlers they have coming through there. There's comparatively little Bond can do as a bowling coach for the more established players already in the national setup, although I guess NZC can call Small, Wheeler, Milne etc in to work with Bond if they want to anyway.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
In a weird way you could almost make the argument that it'd be better for NZ cricket if he stayed with CD, given how many promising bowlers they have coming through there. There's comparatively little Bond can do as a bowling coach for the more established players already in the national setup, although I guess NZC can call Small, Wheeler, Milne etc in to work with Bond if they want to anyway.
It's a very interesting point. Although Bond can always fine tune more established players but drilling a group from the very beginning staying with CD would benefit the guys tremendously too. On the other side, as Bond is very respected, presence of him in the national side will lift the entire unit I think.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully there's a lot for Bond to work with in the national side and a lot he can improve on. Southee obviously made some good strides under Wright and those need to be continued. Bracewell did as well, but they've kept him back from the limited overs under the premise of action issues. Certainly he needs to address his no ball problem. Boult is new to Test cricket and shows promise, Wagner needs to learn to swing it conventionally regularly (and stop landing the ball on the shiny side and creating headaches for his fellow bowlers) while the likes of Milne, Small, McClenaghan, Wheeler etc may come through soon. Plus Bond's bowling nous when it comes to plans, different formats etc is just as vital as any technical talent.

So he's in the right place.

On another note, I'm surprised Vaas and Murali would agree to plot against their countrymen. A) Why aren't Sri Lanka getting these guys involved and B) We must be paying them reasonably well

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vaas and the big wigs of Sri Lankan cricket don't exactly get along very well at the best of times, so I'm not surprised by that really.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So he's in the right place.
Good bowling coaches seem to have an impact on international teams. e.g. McDermott with his pitch it up advice and Alan Donald doing some good work with the black caps.

But yes I am sure CD will miss him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Vaas and the big wigs of Sri Lanka Cricket don't exactly get along very well at the best of times, so I'm not surprised by that really.
Ah really, there you go. Still a head-scratcher on Murali, the greatest wicket-taker of all time to not be used by his own country.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very odd lineup from the Kiwis. Don't think Watling and Oram should be playing.

Mike5181

International Captain
Very odd lineup from the Kiwis. Don't think Watling and Oram should be playing.
Oram hasn't been successful in T20Is but at least he's a useful lower-order batsman, is used to these conditions and has bowled well in Sri Lanka recently. Guys like Ellis shouldn't be close to the team.

Howsie

International Captain
Oram has bowled well in Sri Lanka recently? I must of been watching a different world cup.