Page 81 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2245

Thread: *Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Hope Flynn makes some runs, otherwise this is going to be one absurdly top heavy scorecard.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Can flynn use his feet? Or does he have to wait for a half volley or a short ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Can flynn use his feet? Or does he have to wait for a half volley or a short ball.
    You have to wait for a short ball. He couldn't drive a greasy stick up a cow's backside.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Flynn's not getting out here. He's looking solid as a rock and provided the tail don't fall apart, he'll keep batting in his bubble and accumulate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You have to wait for a short ball. He couldn't drive a greasy stick up a cow's backside.
    He's definitely shelved his front foot drives unless they're absolute gimmes. Played a fair few in his big FC knocks but considering his tendency to misjudge them and not get forward enough early, shelving them for now is probably a good idea until they're mastered.

SL definitely haven't figured out Flynn won't touch anything drivable unless its pure filth. Pitch it up outside off and focus on Doug.

Sensible batting from Bracewell that over, bunting it into the onside for 2's.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Flem274* is Flynn's new PR person

Flynn's doing ok - even though I'm in favour of really grinding the runs out, 14 from 51 is just a touch too slow. Especially when Astle got 3(35) which is rather similar to Franklin's first innings score last match. If he picks SR up to 35-40 now that will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    He's definitely shelved his front foot drives unless they're absolute gimmes. Played a fair few in his big FC knocks but considering his tendency to misjudge them and not get forward enough early, shelving them for now is probably a good idea until they're mastered.
    I even noted it when watching some Kippax footage of his domestic batting. His technique isn't set up to score any runs in front of square on the off side at all. I don't want to go all TumTum about it because if he gets a real juicy one after he's well set I'm sure he'll put it away but he's an extremely similar batsman to Khawaja, and the majority of this Khawaja analysis also applies to him:

I think the selectors and most of the fans are thinking that the top three in Tests long term will be Warner-Hughes-Khawaja, but they all definitely have some work to do on their techniques before it becomes a reality, particularly the latter two. Hughes's problems have been well publicised but I actually think he has a better technique than Khawaja as it stands despite obviously being less orthodox and less aesthetically pleasing. The real downer for Khawaja is just how easy it is to bowl to a plan to him; if you pitch it up outside off you'll not only get him fishing in defence but completely tie him down as well. This is in contrast to Hughes who has a great strength right next to his weakness, so if you try to get him caught slip and you don't execute quite right he will murder you square on the off side; you actually have to tuck him up to tie him down which is unlikely to get him out. Being able to punish the bowlers when they err in their typical plans is what effective batting is all about, and Hughes does that so much better than Khawaja at the moment, who at Test level just isn't really going to get waist high balls on his body to pull away all that often.
    I'm not saying he shouldn't be playing or anything and I do think his defensive setup around off is better than Khawaja's at the moment which is why he's managing to get to 40 odd semi-regularly, but it's not just been a matter of him putting the drives back in the kit bag like Williamson had done early in his Test career after he kept getting out to them in ODIs. Flynn's technique isn't set up to play them at all.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 26-11-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Running between the wickets in this innings has been pretty poor. I know it's hot, but I reckon it's cost us 20 runs.

I even noted it when watching some Kippax footage of his domestic batting. His technique isn't set up to score any runs in front of square on the off side at all. I don't want to go all TumTum about it because if he gets a real juicy one after he's well set I'm sure he'll put it away but he's an extremely similar batsman to Khawaja, and the majority of this Khawaja analysis also applies to him:

I'm not saying he shouldn't be playing or anything and I do think his defensive setup around off is better than Khawaja's at the moment which is why he's managing to get to 40 odd semi-regularly, but it's not just been a matter of him putting the drives back in the kit bag like Williamson had done early in his Test career after he kept getting out to them in ODIs. Flynn's technique isn't set up to play them at all.
    I think the difference lies in that Flynn is self aware. Khawaja, in the times I've seen him, gets frisky when he isn't scoring and isn't very good at batting long full stop. Flynn knows he can't drive off the front foot and doesn't care. He's just going to bat in his bubble and to hell with everything else. Also, despite his fear of the 49, he has massive balls unlike Khawaja.

Dougeh's a beautiful example of the "if-you-don't-understand-it-hit-it" school of batsman. Will be maddening for SL if he survives for long.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Flynn has brought out the sweep shot...

lol Flynn's decided some offside drive deliveries are going to be dinky swept.

edit bringing in the midwicket flick to balls well outside off, but he's getting into position well. such a weird batsman.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 26-11-2012 at 12:50 AM.

love that little turn to the onside from Flynn.

Thread Information