• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Flem274*

123/5
wasn't Warne in the 80s?

a lot of bowlers have a natural speed that works fine for them. Astle is nearing the loopy lolly end though.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
wasn't Warne in the 80s?

a lot of bowlers have a natural speed that works fine for them. Astle is nearing the loopy lolly end though.
I think the main thing for a leggy is pace off the pitch. Obviously if you completely take the piss with how slow you bowl through the air then good batsmen will just get to everything almost on the full, but I don't think Astle quite falls in that territory. His real problem is that even though he's giving the ball plenty of air it's not getting that many revs, so it's turning really slowly off the wicket. Someone like Mishra - who was a failure at Test level anyway - got as many revs on the ball with a flatter path. It's almost like Astle is trying to trick people into thinking he's a big spinner of the ball. :p

Flem274*

123/5
We've got this test in the bag lads. Bracewell will hit his stride, Boult and Southee will continue and Jeets will do ok, and the batsmen will turn up. We're about due a Guptill 74 and a Franklin 53, Baz always manages to average 40 in a test (usually with two 40s), Taylor is due a ton and Flynn looks the goods. Kruger will add one of his 30s down the order and we're looking at 700/7 declared with a Boult special with the bat. Herath will injure himself in the first innings.

New Zealand by an innings. I believe!
stand by this

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Classic kiwi butthurt on cricinfo right now, after an Aussie pointed out that New Zealand still needs to take 4 wickets to enforce the follow on.

This is so non-threatening from Astle.

Howsie

International Captain
Hmmm, probably can't bowl Astle for to long here, looks a little tame. Risky obvs but perhaps Taylor should bring a few fielders in, just for an over.

Flem274*

123/5
nah **** the over rate. if the umpires call him out then point the finger right back at the ridiculous time it took to make a call on that stumping.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Really want Astle to hit the pads soon so that we can so his epic appealing at least once in test cricket.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Classic kiwi butthurt on cricinfo right now, after an Aussie pointed out that New Zealand still needs to take 4 wickets to enforce the follow on.
It's freaking ridiculous how much of an inferiority complex some of us seem to have.

"On the news tonight, a NZer did this insignificant thing today. Wow. Look at that kiwi ingenuity. The little country that could."

"Oh, this is your first time in NZ? What do you think? Isn't this just the most lovely country in the world? Please please please gratify my teenage-girl-esque insecurities"

makes me sick.