• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Could see that coming and not unhappy we're going off, as the ball will still be newish for the seamers in the morning.

Anyway, what a ****ing fantastic day

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Stumps. Really think that New Zealand shouldn't have bothered with those last 5 overs. Ah well, good stuff all around.

Howsie

International Captain
Stumps. Really think that New Zealand shouldn't have bothered with those last 5 overs. Ah well, good stuff all around.
Yeah. Probably a good way to ease Astle into the game though. Very little chance either of them were going to attack him with just a couple of overs left.

Anyway another good (thanks to Southee and Boult) day. Southee's rhythm is just so good at the moment, swing, pace, bounce. Good luck.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Southee's average falling into the mid-30's for the first time since 2008. Long may the trend continue.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brilliant to click onto a NZ scorecard and finally see the two youngsters you have high hopes for performing. Williamson's ton needs to be the boot up the arse he needs to do that more often as we all know he is talented and could go on to be a NZ great if he does his talent justice over a long period and Southee is at last doing with the red ball what he has done with a white ball many times. better for Southee as he did well in the last game so to back it up with a good opening spell in the next test brings even more hope that it isn't a one off.

After two good days in a row I am praying for a third from them to set themselves up in this match.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bracewell needs to get in on the action, or at least do a better holding job than he did at Galle.

Jeets looked great last night when he came over the wicket. None of this round the wicket to the right hander rubbish.

Mathews has the technique to deal with good quality swing bowling. I think he will do well in Australia. Unfortunately there's not much I can say about the other young Sri Lankan batsmen. I know they outplayed us in the first test, but that was our capitulation, not their good batting. Jayawardene and Sangakkarra might save them in Australia, but the latter is seriously out of form.

Flem274*

123/5
Stating the obvious but we need to keep getting regular wickets because this is a road and the remaining Sri Lankan batsmen are too good not to capitalise once in. We might need a cheeky run out of Mathews because he looks frustratingly comfortable. His hook shot is definitely compulsive, but he keeps getting away with it. To get him out on it we'll need a similar ball to the one that got Sanga and some good fortune that it will go near a fielder for once.

According to cricinfo Samaraweera will bat today.

Two early wickets and we should be able to bowl Sri Lanka out before the end of the day unless the keeper and the tail bat exceptionally well, and that isn't unlikely because our own tail showed it's pretty easy out there once you're in. Mathews and Piranavitana could easily be still there at stumps if they play well.

In other news Nethula bats better than he bowls. Brought up his ton this morning, so get him in there opening.:ph34r: Milne 66* as well. Good day to be a New Zealand batsman.

Blain

U19 Captain
Yeah to be in control, we really need at least 2 wickets in the first 2 sessions. When Sammy comes in, go for his fingers. Bracewell gets sharp bounce, get him firing it in. They have quite a long tail by the looks of it, but I rate thier top 7.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
We were quite fortunate that the break came when it did. Southee and Boult should be pretty fresh tomorrow morning, and Bracewell hasn't bowled a ball yet. Just need to keep bowling as we have been, and hope we get a bit of luck.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
the swapped ball had a touch more swing than the original.

If that swing is still there in the morning I'm confident we can get Paranivitana, and that will at least give us an early shot at Samaraweera.

I'm picking Patel to get through Mathews. Maybe a bat pad catch.

From there it's still going to be difficult. Prasanna and Kulasekara are more than handy with the bat.

Good challenge.

Flem274*

123/5
Mathews looks set for a big one and somehow Pirana is still out there. I would have retained Karunaratne personally. This is the first I've seen Pirana tbf but he's not going to do anything in Australia if he continues playing the way he does.

Flem274*

123/5
Bracewell bowling considerably better today.

This looks like a draw unless we fall in a heap to Herath next innings or we can get some reverse/a spinner goes nuts. Been perfect for batting during all three days.