• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Flem274*

123/5
Well that was a bad session

Flynn looks quality these days. He's not getting out except to a beauty or stupidity. Flynn mk I had major issues with the ball coming into him from both seam and spin, but he's got that covered now. Provided Sri Lanka don't bowl magic balls and he doesn't do his 40 and out thing, he's going to get a score if the tail rallies.

I can't believe I'm saying this either.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Right nz need to develop tactics over lunch. The loss of KVW was huge. He basically threw his wicket away. Do we bat positively so that the game advances? Or do we figure we could lose this match and think every 10 runs is gold and just play sure percentage shots and try to edge our way past 350.

Up to Mike Hesson and Ross to advise...

Flem274*

123/5
I think Kruger needs a big ton in the next innings, and if he needs to pester Taylor to elevate him up the order to get a chance at it then he should try his luck. Hell, volunteer to open the batting if need be. BJ Watling is having a golden summer, Luke Ronchi (as much as I don't want him to play for NZ) has shown to be at least competent for Australia and belted a ton today for Wellington, and I'll have faith Steve's man crush on de Boorder is well placed. Those three are hammering on the door.

Likewise, Flynn will want runs with Ryder, Brownlie and maybe Cachopa (through sheer weight of runs) lining up for a go. Personally I'd play Flynn and Ryder both but Vettori's role in the side, if any, isn't defined so we don' know whether we'll have five or six batsmen in our next test. Likewise Watling might be in the frame as a middle order batsman since he's in the frame for everything else under the sun.

I also feel Astle and Jeets are squaring off right now, so that will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We'll get over 350 fairly easily.
Not so sure about this.

Our problem at the moment is that these players have never been in positions of relative dominance where it's the bowlers who have to work quite hard for the wickets. They're not quite sure how to play. The van Wyk dismissal was a good example of this (although he shouldn't be coming in at 6 anyway).

srsly we cant let SL bat on this today. this is a road.
Yup pretty crucial.

Blain

U19 Captain
I didnt think KVW was up to it before today, but man that was average. He is not a test No 6, is an 8 at best. Flynn needs to bat to the end of the innings for us to get 400+.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
First real look at Astle - looks ok with the bat. I see what pews means about technically correct - contrasts with the highlights I saw of his recent 95 though I guess he was throwing the bat.

Anyway, very disappointing both Taylor and Williamson out to the sweep after playing such good, low-risk cricket for so long. Haven't seen the KVW dismisal but sounds bad.

And as I write, Astle out. This will end quickly.

Edit: Glad to see I wasn't the only one to jinx him :laugh:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Urgh. Really hope Taylor remembers what's happened here until his dying day. Makes me think of what Geoff Boycott always says about looking at the score and adding to wickets onto it before deciding how to play. Only with NZ, you add 4 wickets.