Page 57 of 150 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    We won't win, but we will be competitive before finally losing to a better team.

That's the way we roll: a shameful performance in the first match followed by a worthy loss in the second.

New Zealand since I have been watching them have never been good in the first match of a series or tour. Ever. Period.

So, why we don't play a warm-up before the test match to get the **** out of our system is beyond me.

Remember when we would tour Australia, get rolled by a state side, but be somehow competitive against an alltime great team in the first test?

If there is no warm-up before the first test in South Africa, then I will smash something.
    AWTA. We'll put in a much-improved performance, probably losing by 4 wickets or so, giving us hope again; only problem being that it's a two-test series so we'll leave any form behind when the next tour starts. Rinse and repeat for the next 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I didn't expect a **** the BCCI in that rant. 10/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    I don't think any changes should be made to the current batting lineup for the second test. However, if Williamson continues to struggle in SA (which he almost certainly will), I'd seriously suggest that Taylor just bite the bullet and move up the order by one. It might be tough, but he's our best batsmen, has sound defensive technique and has been coming in inside the first 15 overs a lot in the last few years anyway.

It's difficult to examine his statistical record in these cases, but a quick glance at his performances batting in the first innings of tests suggests that since 2009, he's averaged about 50 when coming into bat inside the first 15. Williamson can either take some time out of the national side, or move down to number 5/6.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

U19 12th Man
    Williamson should have stayed at 5 or 6 to begin with, he was never ready to bat 3.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Great stuff Kippax.

Shane Bond certainly seems competent.

I didn't even know who our batting coach was so I had to google it. He needs to pull his socks up.

Bob Carter appointed Black Caps batting coach | Stuff.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Great stuff Kippax.

I didn't even know who our batting coach was so I had to google it. He needs to pull his socks up.

WTF this guys is your batting coach:
    Bob Carter | England Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Bond and Vaas are both better batsmen then him. Might as well let them coach the batting and bowling.

If this all the can hire for batting coach, Richardson should put his money where his mouth is and offer to coach the NZ batsmen for free.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    You don't have to be an elite player to be a good coach.

Though tbf, someone with international experience would definitely be a bonus.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    If Mark Richardson had never set foot in a commentary box and talked cricket I'd back him tbh. He's self coached, knows how to score runs with sheer testicular fortitude, and came from a very modest base to be our most successful opener since John Wright. Shane Bond also cites him as one of the few New Zealand batsmen and the only opener who truly had the drive and work ethic to be a world class batsman. There's a hilarious anecdote in his book of Richardson standing under a tree in Barbados screaming his head off because he wasn't going to get another bat in the nets.

But then Richardson started commentating...

Crowe ftw.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Think Crowe probably has other things on his mind at the moment.

After an hour of pointless stats analysis:

On occasions where Taylor has come into bat inside the 1st 15 overs (chosen because this roughly equates to batting inside the 1st hour), Taylor averages 40.07. When he comes in after the first 15, he averages 41.44 (note this does not include Taylor's 2 tests against Zim or his first two tests in SA). So virtually no difference.

Removing the first 6 months of his career (up to the conclusion of New Zealand's 2008 tour of England), and Taylor's record when going in in the first 15 is slightly better (43.44 to 39.65).

So yeah, reckon there's a bit in that to suggest that Taylor could make a decent fist of number 3. If Williamson doesn't turn things around by the conclusion of the SA tour, Taylor should go up.

Yep my bad there (re Crowe)

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Hmmmm.... I'm not convinced that changing the batting order will solve anything. As "Mystery" Morrison would say, it's like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

The batsmen aren't improving once they get into the national side. If anything they seem to get worse.

I don't know who to blame, so I'll blame everyone. Sort your **** out, assholes!

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Great stuff Kippax.

There's our first problem.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Im tempted to go for a complete overhaul of our batting and starting over. McCullum is 31, Taylor is 28, Guptill is 26, Flynn 27, Watling 27.(We also need a decent spinner)

Why not completely rebuild, only really Guptill is young enough to turn the promise into something.

The culture of the team is probably crap with the McCullum and Taylor camps, so why not get rid of the both of them. Williamson is a hard worker, hopefully the other young guys would follow his lead.

Worker
    Rutherford
    M. Bracewell
    Williamson (C)
    Latham (WK)
    Anderson
    Neesham
    D. Bracewell
    Southee
    Boult
    Johnston

With Milne, Wheeler, Guptill, Sodhi being squad players