• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Flem274*

123/5
Nah he played the wrong line, but that's what your legs are for ffs. Should have at least been a back leg lbw. First rule of batting - protect your castle. With his stance and follow through off stump is ripe for the taking if he plays the wrong line or is beaten by pace.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Can't watch right now but can see Guptill getting dismissed like that in my mind's eye. I expected him to struggle to play spin in SL like he did in India, but to be out twice early to seamers is not great. Sounds like SL are bowling well though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't even mind if we'd stuck with the grafters like Redmond and Cumming etc.

Watling could open IMO. reasonably compact.

Flem274*

123/5
Did I hear that right - Macka helped Kane this morning?

Yeah he's ****ed.

bat with intent and anything below 140kph, including spinners, go for six

Macka was a FTB - no way would he score on this.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Rutherford is going to be in the team pretty quick at this rate.
I'd love it if we could replace Guptill but imo we should hold off until a domestic opener is really racking up the runs and averaging 45. Rutherford's promising but very new. Also as was clear yesterday, Guptill's our best slipper. He will go to South Africa regardless I'd say - it's no place to debut an opener.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Can't watch right now but can see Guptill getting dismissed like that in my mind's eye. I expected him to struggle to play spin in SL like he did in India, but to be out twice early to seamers is not great. Sounds like SL are bowling well though.
It was like his dismissal in the first innings.

See full ball -> attempt straight drive. Played inside the line. This time it took out off stump.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It was like his dismissal in the first innings.

See full ball -> attempt straight drive. Played inside the line. This time it took out off stump.
Hrmm yeah - first innings he was hitting to mid-on and that was part of the problem. Got in such a mess he may have clipped his pad with bat.

btw welcome to the site :)

Oh FFS there goes Williamson

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Just wasn't showing enough positivity Williamson. I am sure he would have 10 overs from now. But when he got that loose ball he didn't punish it instead he fiddled with it and he's out.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hrmm yeah - first innings he was hitting to mid-on and that was part of the problem. Got in such a mess he may have clipped his pad with bat.

btw welcome to the site :)
Thanks.

Batsmen making the sri lankan swing bowlers look amazing. :censored:

Good test for Taylor. I'm also a big fan of Flynn.

Why am I always so optimistic? I'm a sucker for punishment I guess.

Howsie

International Captain
Jesus, Williamson better find some form quickly or else he'll be lucky to pass double figures once in South Africa. He looks like a shell of himself, poking and proding, horrible stuff to watch.

Flem274*

123/5
Williamson could probably benefit from a couple of FC games against one of the better attacks, or maybe a shift to 6 with Flynn up to 3.

here pewsy pewsy pewsy

Howsie

International Captain
Just wasn't showing enough positivity Williamson. I am sure he would have 10 overs from now. But when he got that loose ball he didn't punish it instead he fiddled with it and he's out.
Yep, was given two or three half volleys on his pads this morning and merely tapped them towards short mid wicket. Can't fault him though with regards to his form, he's basically the New Zealand mascot at the moment, travelling around and getting to do SFA.

Flem274*

123/5
Anyway, if Flynn can get a ton here he's a lock for the summer. Neither quick is anything he hasn't seen at the FC level and he was competent against spin in his last run in the side.

His main problem now he seems more comfortable against in swing is the number 49 and the 90s.