• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Howsie

International Captain
I'd say that Bracewell has had way more bowling for CD than either Boult or Southee have had for New Zealand.
Perhaps, but two games in the last month and a half is hardly ideal preperation for a test seamer, especially by bowling on the other side of the world.

Howsie

International Captain
Nah, I disagree entirely. These guys eat spinners for breakfast but Jeets has been tight. Astle's one bad ball an over would be the end of him against Sri Lanka, India et al. If this was a turner in New Zealand, England, Australia or South Africa I'd roll him out for a go, but not here.
Patel needs to be able to take wickets though, and so far he hasn't even looked close in doing so. Being tight is all well and good but you can't expect the seamers to pick up all 10 wickets.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't think it's a workload thing. Nearly every single over he's bowled he's bowled dross in the first 2-3 deliveries and finished strongly. He's having trouble getting started, so maybe it's related to the changes he's made to his action? They could still be feeling a bit new and weird to him so he might be taking a few balls every over to get comfortable.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps, but two games in the last month and a half is hardly ideal preperation for a test seamer, especially by bowling on the other side of the world.
Meh, he's a professional cricketer. Ideally he'd get a warm-up game, but he really has no excuse to turn up and bowl a bag of **** like he has today.

Flem274*

123/5
Patel needs to be able to take wickets though, and so far he hasn't even looked close in doing so. Being tight is all well and good but you can't expect the seamers to pick up all 10 wickets.
We don't have a spinner who can both keep the runs down and chip in with wickets though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, he's a professional cricketer. Ideally he'd get a warm-up game, but he really has no excuse to turn up and bowl a bag of **** like he has today.
awta

And yes Patel's average - he's bowled ok but he's still Patel. Vettori or Astle wouldn't do any better though.

Fact is this would still be an ok position if we'd made even a moderate 300 with the bat.

DriveClub

International Regular
I don't think it's a workload thing. Nearly every single over he's bowled he's bowled dross in the first 2-3 deliveries and finished strongly. He's having trouble getting started, so maybe it's related to the changes he's made to his action? They could still be feeling a bit new and weird to him so he might be taking a few balls every over to get comfortable.
Why did he change his action? Injury prone?

Flem274*

123/5
If Jeets goes wicketless I'd put money on an Astle debut, especially if (har, more like when) we collapse in a heap again since they'll be keen on the extra batting, and likely hoping he can score a jammy 50 to go with his 2/100 off 20 overs.

Howsie

International Captain
I doubt he's done anything to drastic with his action mate :)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Why did he change his action? Injury prone?
Nah, he's just been losing his shape and not swinging the ball as much. Was said to be tinkering with it a bit in domestic cricket to try and get back to where he was this time last year.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd take a spinner who can pick up 2-80 off 15-20 overs with the attack we have right now.
I'd almost not bother with a spinner at all. Williamson can chuck a few if it's really turning. There isn't a spinner in New Zealand that Sri Lanka would be more wary of than the pace stocks available.