• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka doing a NZ. 123 for 5, that classic score.
Difference is that Jayawardene is a proper batsman and now he's got 50 is unlikely to give it away - unlike say Flynn.

We just have to be patient, hope for a mistake perhaps from Mathews and then try to chip away at the lower order.

Flem274*

123/5
Jeets isn't bowling badly, but they look pretty comfortable. So glad we didn't play Astle.

As I type Mathews smokes him. WAC.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I reckon Jaya is due his 1 innings in 100 where he doesn't completely grind our hopes into the dust. C'mon, throw it all away. The lunch table awaits.

Flem274*

123/5
Mathews could be such a good batsman. Has a few rough edges but otherwise could bat much higher than six. Looks really comfortable against pace bowling in his own half and is more a proper batsman than the archetypical allrounder. Has total guns above him though.

His bowling average is a bit jammy.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Bracewell's a strange case. I'm not sure he's quite up to Test standard day-in, day-out; but when he gets himself into a groove he can look world class. When he doesn't fire, he seems to be pretty toothless against decent batsmen.

He's only 22 though, so I have no doubt he will develop into a great NZ bowler, but right now he must be causing some headaches for selectors.

EDIT:
I'd probably put Southee in the same boat. NZ have a gun attack for the future in Bracewell, Southee and Boult. Hopefully they develop into consistent bowlers soon enough.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bracewell's a strange case. I'm not sure he's quite up to Test standard day-in, day-out; but when he gets himself into a groove he can look world class. When he doesn't fire, he seems to be pretty toothless against decent batsmen.

He's only 22 though, so I have no doubt he will develop into a great NZ bowler, but right now he must be causing some headaches for selectors.
I don't think that's really a strange case; he's a talented bowler who can legitimately trouble good Test players but doesn't have the consistency yet to do it all the time. It's why there are scores of bowlers who will do better than him domestically but would be completely toothless at Test level - he can bowl balls they can't and occasionally trouble high class plaeyrs, even if he dishes up much more rubbish. It's far from unique though; pretty common for young bowlers with potential IMO.

Not a new thing with him either - he bowled some downright awful spells in Australia that were quickly forgotten when he won them a Test.

Flem274*

123/5
Credit to Mahela where it's due but this has not been his best innings. If this was an away test he would be lucky to still be there judging by the way he's poked with hard hands to the pacemen at times.

Not sure how we're going to get Mathews out though. Apart from a few uncontrolled hooks he's looked pretty comfortable.

Howsie

International Captain
Yay, Jeetan Patel looking nice and toothless. I really can't stand watching him bowl, terrible off-spinner really, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to flat. I guess you couldn't play Astle though, he's a leggie and he bowls the odd bad ball....

Edit: Can't really blame Bracewell here, bugger all cricket, no warm up game, it's hardly surprising he's been this bad.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Nah, I disagree entirely. These guys eat spinners for breakfast but Jeets has been tight. Astle's one bad ball an over would be the end of him against Sri Lanka, India et al. If this was a turner in New Zealand, England, Australia or South Africa I'd roll him out for a go, but not here.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yay, Jeetan Patel looking nice and toothless. I really can't stand watching him bowl, terrible off-spinner really, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to flat. I guess you couldn't play Astle though, he's a leggie and he bowls the odd bad ball....

Edit: Can't really blame Bracewell here, bugger all cricket, no warm up game, it's hardly surprising he's been this bad.
I'd say that Bracewell has had way more bowling for CD than either Boult or Southee have had for New Zealand.