Page 18 of 150 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Mathews should open with Thirimanne or Karunarathne. Chandimal should be the ideal #6 with his ultra aggressive aproach. If Mathews cannot survive NZ seam attack with new ball on Galle pitch, forget about facing Aussies at Bellerive Oval.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    That is another option, but will never happen unless they give up on Mathews as an all rounder.

They could also drop P Jayawardene as well and play all three youngsters. The extra runs from Chandimal could make a difference over the greater keeping ability of Prassana, especially in Australia.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    What is the expected Sri Lankan lineup?

Hoping (against all odds) conditions favour seamers, reckon our teams are fairly evenly matched if our bowlers get a bit of an advantage.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    It's a bit of a catch 22 really. Quick bowler friendly conditions provide us with a big advantage but they also give the Sri Lankan seamers a bit of a leg up, and their seam bowling stocks are probably the only area we can exploit.

A flat pitch gives their batsmen a huge advantage but it also puts massive pressure on their spinners because it gives our batsmen a bit of a leg up.

If it's a spinners pitch, we're up against it, especially since we'll try to beat Sri Lanka at their own game and play two spinners against batsmen who love spin at the expense of a pacer.

Anyway, New Zealand to win by an innings. 600 declared with Taylor 300* (250) and the pacemen to rip Sri Lanka a new one.

For a realistic prediction, invert mine.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women

Anyway, New Zealand to win by an innings. 600 declared with Taylor 300* (250) and the pacemen to rip Sri Lanka a new one.

For a realistic prediction, invert mine.
    lol, like Taylor could ever bat for 250 balls without getting out. If he's to score a 300, he'll need to do it in 150 max.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    lol, like Taylor could ever bat for 250 balls without getting out. If he's to score a 300, he'll need to do it in 150 max.
    235 his limit

1st Test: New Zealand v England at Hamilton, Mar 5-9, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

While I love Taylor, it's sad to see that in some respects he's actually gone backwards as a test batsman.

He'll get back there. He thrives on challenge and responsibility.

Haha when I was looking back through scorecards I found this test and while the last innings frustrates me to this day, there were a few odd happenings in this test.

-our top three scored 92 runs in the first dig, 63 out of 114 in the second, which is pretty embarrassing for England when you look at the players involved. Good domestic cricketers, but they should have struggled a bit more than they did against that attack
    -Vettori took wickets (1st innings only of course)
    -James Marshall was our second highest scorer in the 2nd dig, which is a first
    -Panesar went from zero to hero. WAC.

2nd Test: England v New Zealand at Manchester, May 23-26, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Will never forget listening to Taylor's innings as commentated by Henry Blofeld at some god awful hour of the morning.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 16-11-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Haha when I was looking back through scorecards I found this test and while the last innings frustrates me to this day, there were a few odd happenings in this test.

-our top three scored 92 runs in the first dig, 63 out of 114 in the second, which is pretty embarrassing for England when you look at the players involved. Good domestic cricketers, but they should have struggled a bit more than they did against that attack
    -James Marshall was our second highest scorer, which is a first

2nd Test: England v New Zealand at Manchester, May 23-26, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Will never forget listening to Taylor's innings as commentated by Henry Blofeld at some god awful hour of the morning.
    Impossible.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

-James Marshall was our second highest scorer, which is a first

One of the most spectacular examples of how disappointing Vettori has been as a test match bowler since 2000 onwards. He also cocked things up with his batting, by not sliding his bat during the 1st innings, and getting run-out. A typical niggly 50 from him would've pushed us up to 420 odd, which would've been enough to enforce the follow-on.

Ugh.

Still, enjoy the memories of O'Brilliant charging like a demon into a Manchester gale.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 16-11-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    That is another option, but will never happen unless they give up on Mathews as an all rounder.

They could also drop P Jayawardene as well and play all three youngsters. The extra runs from Chandimal could make a difference over the greater keeping ability of Prassana, especially in Australia.
    That would be such an unfair move on Prasanna, I rate his keeping the best in the world actually.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Bracewell and Boult are the obvious frontrunners, but Martin provides experience on a potentially difficult pitch.
    If Martin plays I will probably kill someone.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    surely not

Hope Rossco's been practising his coin-flips. Do not want to be batting last on a wearing SL pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    surely not

Hope Rossco's been practising his coin-flips. Do not want to be batting last on a wearing SL pitch.
    I dunno, if there's some green on the wicket, it might be a chance to bowl them out cheaply in the first innings. Lets be honest, regardless of who's batting last Sri Lanka is going to have a huge edge over us in the last 2 days of the test. Our best bet might be to try and take advantage of any support for the seamers and then make the most of the batting conditions on days 2 and 3. Of course, this assumes that there actually is some life in the surface on day one.

Thread Information