Page 150 of 150 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150
Results 2,236 to 2,245 of 2245

Thread: *Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I agree 100%, however he hasn't scored any runs in bloody ages. There was a general train of thought not long ago that if Vettori's batting regressed he'd still be the best spinner in the country (despite how average his bowling was) and command a place for balance anyway, and I think Patel has put that to bed to some extent. If Vettori can't score any runs he shouldn't be making the side over someone like Watling because the myth of him being the best spinner regardless of how crap his bowling had become has been debunked.
    His batting form is certainly an issue.

But the one thing Vettori has that none of his competitors have is that he has proven he's good enough to play at Test level, against any opposition. Six centuries and twenty three half centuries scored in the lower half of the batting order, imo, is a lot of talent to discard based on form, especially since no other NZ all rounders are really putting their hand up. I personally would give him the SA series, batting at six, and reassess afterwards if he doesn't perform.

And I'm not considering any pure batsmen for the six spot because if we get into the situation where Amla and Kallis are putting together a 400 run partnership on a road, we will need that Vettori style bowler who can bowl a crap load of tight overs so our seamers can rest. The last thing we want is to bowl our seam trio into the ground and have them all fall over injured.

Five batsmen, one batting all rounder, keeper and four bowlers.

If Watling wants a place in this team he needs to play as keeper or replace one of the top five. I actually would quite like to see Watling given the chance to play as keeper in a two Test series. If only to answer the two questions I have about him: is he good enough (or could be good enough) to keep at Test level? And is he good enough to score runs at Test level against a good bowling attack?

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I agree 100%, however he hasn't scored any runs in bloody ages. There was a general train of thought not long ago that if Vettori's batting regressed he'd still be the best spinner in the country (despite how average his bowling was) and command a place for balance anyway, and I think Patel has put that to bed to some extent. If Vettori can't score any runs he shouldn't be making the side over someone like Watling because the myth of him being the best spinner regardless of how crap his bowling had become has been debunked.
    While that may be true in terms of the number of days since his last batting success, the truth is that only 4 tests have passed since Vettori made 98 on a sporty pitch at the gabba. A couple of games before that he hit a century against a strong Pakistani bowling lineup. The lack of cricket, combined with his injuries make it feel like Vettori has been out of touch for ages, but I think he deserves a lot more time as a batsman.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    You can lock Vettori in at 7 or 8 for South Africa. The selectors won't bat him at six and Vettori has always been reluctant to bat 6.

Tbh Dan at seven with bowlers 8-11 and Watling at 6 is a decent compromise in the short term. If Ryder returns though I'd stick with Flynn at 6 and bowl Williamson as the stock bowler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Guptill
    McCullum
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Flynn
    Franklin
    Watling (wk)
    Vettori
    Bracewell
    Southee
    Boult
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

Guptill isnt up to it. Give watling the gloves and open him up with mccullum.

team without Ryder

Watling(wk)
    McCullum
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Flynn
    Brownlee
    Vettori
    Bracewell
    Wagner/gillespie
    Southee
    Boult

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Watling's fitness would be a wreck by the end of our tour to England

can't have an opener keeping in test cricket.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bulfin View Post

team without Ryder

Watling(wk)
    McCullum
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Flynn
    Brownlee
    Vettori
    Bracewell
    Wagner/gillespie
    Southee
    Boult
    You can't have your keeper also open in a Test match. You'd kill him. It's too much.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bulfin View Post
    Carl Bulfin. Cricket Max legend.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Haha, yes. His ODI career may have gone better if he'd kept the dreads.

Thread Information