Page 149 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2245

Thread: *Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    he's not part time but he's not test standard either. Right now he would be a bits and pieces player.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Flynn - 4. A good fifty. Did not come to the party in other innings. Needs to get more consistent.
    He needs to score some 100's tbh. He's good enough to score runs at this level, well get going anyway. He just gives it away too easily.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Errrr, respected? The fact that Sri Lanka were just trying to survive played a massive part in Astle not getting blasted around the ground. He's terrible and in all probability will never be near test standard. He bowled a couple of decent deliveries but for 90 percent of his work he looked part time.
    He's exactly the sort of bowler you want to come on when you need runs to drag yourself out of the poo tbh, and they did a lot of blocking.

And you can't write a 26 year old off for good, especially a spinner. He's not test standard right now but give him another 4-5 seasons and he may well be a quality bowler. It's like writing Southee off for good when he was bowling 130kph half volleys with slow loopy swing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post

what does everyone think of Ryder opening?
    I think if Ryder had a better head on his shoulders, he'd be a big candidate for one of the opening spots. Good defense and knows where his off stump is. Also, with McCullum he'd make it a left-right combo which is always nice to have. But at the moment, I think if he does come back into the side it'll have to be somewhere less stressful, probably number 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I think if Ryder had a better head on his shoulders, he'd be a big candidate for one of the opening spots. Good defense and knows where his off stump is. Also, with McCullum he'd make it a left-right combo which is always nice to have. But at the moment, I think if he does come back into the side it'll have to be somewhere less stressful, probably number 6.
    I think and I have nothing to base this on, but it would help McCullum's game as he would observe Ryder pacing his inning better at the other end while still scoring at a good clip. This would rub off on McCullum I hope.

Nothing will stop McCullum being McCullum except McCullum. He always scores a big ton every season with good patience to remind us how good he could be, but then he comes out and bats like the second coming of Craig McMillan again. I really thought he turned a corner with that match saving double hundred against India in India, but evidently not.

I still think Astle looks like he's got a lot more to work with as a batsman than a bowler, even if the bowling is clearly his stronger suit domestically at the moment. 26 is still young for a spinner but I still really doubt he'll ever be Test class on that discipline alone.

As I tried to say to Phlegm when he asked questions about his bowling speed, I think Astle does a great job of looking like a better bowler than he is, and I love him for it, but it's going to take some serious improvement to get him anywhere near the standard required IMO.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    He's exactly the sort of bowler you want to come on when you need runs to drag yourself out of the poo tbh, and they did a lot of blocking.

And you can't write a 26 year old off for good, especially a spinner. He's not test standard right now but give him another 4-5 seasons and he may well be a quality bowler. It's like writing Southee off for good when he was bowling 130kph half volleys with slow loopy swing.
    There is a big difference between writing off a 26 year old leggie, that only took up the art full time two seasons ago, and writing off a 20 year old fast bowler. The chances Astle ever becomes test standard are slim, like one percent. Most guys who bowl it all their lives never master it, what makes Astle so special?

There is a big difference between writing off a 26 year old leggie, that only took up the art full time two seasons ago, and writing off a 20 year old fast bowler. The chances Astle ever becomes test standard are slim, like one percent. Most guys who bowl it all their lives never master it, what makes Astle so special?
    Nothing, but he's still got 10 or so years left as a pro. I'm not going to call him Forever Dire just yet. I save that for Anton Devcich.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Eh, spinners in recent years have tended to come good a lot later than quicks. Nobody really thought Graeme Swann would amount to much until he suddenly got serious and started taking bags of wickets around 2008ish.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Wasn't Astle a top order batsman until recently anyway? Agree with Howsie - there's every chance Astle won't be a better bowler come 2022 cause he bowls the leggies basically.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Wasn't Astle a top order batsman until recently anyway?
    Yeah. He was a prodigy opening batsman, failed at that quite young and came back into domestic cricket a couple of seasons later as a leg spinner. I still think he's got more to work with as a bat though tbh, even if it didn't work out in his early 20s. He's definitely a more effective bowler now than he is a batsman but I think he's bluffing.

How do you get Astle batting well though? His technique is textbook and he was the star of his age group world cup. Was 3rd highest run scorer or something. There isn't anything that can be improved except the runs tally. He's got a gun eye, a gun technqiue, a lot of guts and can concentrate. WTF do you do with him?

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Patel... Did enough to hold Dan off from taking his spot.
    There seems to be a lot of people who continue to think that Vettori is a spin bowler and that he's competing for a bowler's spot in this team.

He isn't.

He is neither a spin bowler, nor even a bowler. He is a batting all rounder who bowls slow left arm. He is competing for the spot Franklin occupied in the first test (batting all rounder).

The batting all rounder's responsibilities (in this order):
    1 Score runs with the bat.
    2 Keep things tight at one end with the ball. Any wickets are a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    There seems to be a lot of people who continue to think that Vettori is a spin bowler and that he's competing for a bowler's spot in this team.

He isn't.

He is neither a spin bowler, nor even a bowler. He is a batting all rounder who bowls slow left arm. He is competing for the spot Franklin occupied in the first test (batting all rounder).

The batting all rounder's responsibilities (in this order):
    1 Score runs with the bat.
    2 Keep things tight at one end with the ball. Any wickets are a bonus.
    I agree 100%, however he hasn't scored any runs in bloody ages. There was a general train of thought not long ago that if Vettori's batting regressed he'd still be the best spinner in the country (despite how average his bowling was) and command a place for balance anyway, and I think Patel has put that to bed to some extent. If Vettori can't score any runs he shouldn't be making the side over someone like Watling because the myth of him being the best spinner regardless of how crap his bowling had become has been debunked.

Thread Information