• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Flametree

International 12th Man
1st test starts tomorrow, and the forecast actually doesn't look too bad. :-O

McCullum, Guptill, Williamson, Taylor, Flynn, Franklin, van Wyk, Bracewell, Southee, Patel, Boult
That side's combined batting average is about 286, including Boult's current 26. Lower that to a more realistic 12, and it's 272... After the first innings of the current test, the combined Bangladesh side currently averages about 284 (including one allrounder averaging 4 after one innings).

Meaningless I know, but where would cricket discussion be without meaningless stats? Just sayin'.

BeeGee

International Captain
That side's combined batting average is about 286, including Boult's current 26. Lower that to a more realistic 12, and it's 272... After the first innings of the current test, the combined Bangladesh side currently averages about 284 (including one allrounder averaging 4 after one innings).

Meaningless I know, but where would cricket discussion be without meaningless stats? Just sayin'.
The stats aren't meaningless. They have a clear meaning... NZ's batting is ****.
It just didn't need to be proven with stats since everyone already knows it.

The question is why? Are they just **** or are they under performing? I think it's a mix of both. McCullum, Taylor and Williamson should be scoring more runs than they do, IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
Didn't Shaun Pollock bowl some offies once right at the end of his career because he wasn't getting anything out of the wicket with seamers?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Didn't Shaun Pollock bowl some offies once right at the end of his career because he wasn't getting anything out of the wicket with seamers?
Haha yep indeed. A couple of years later Johan Botha did the opposite and pulled a Colin Miller; felt ironic in some ways.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Remember Waqar did the same thing on the fifth day of that test at Jade Stadium where Sinclair hit his 2nd 200. If memory serves he was absolutely robbed of an lbw decision by Daryl Harper.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Per cricinfo :
Mahela Jayawardene has made over one fifth of his 10,540 runs in Galle, and averages 75.60 there

Dilshan not fit to play. But still no place for Chandimal.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
**** Sri Lanka are dire the Chandimal thing. I'm usually pretty conservative by most standards on the whole 'fast tracking young cricketers' thing but **** me dead, it's not like he's got anything left to achieve domestically.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
**** Sri Lanka are dire the Chandimal thing. I'm usually pretty conservative by most standards on the whole 'fast tracking young cricketers' thing but **** me dead, it's not like he's got anything left to achieve domestically.
TBF either do the other two opening options Karunaratne averages 45 in FC and so does Paranavitana excluding Test matches.

Though Paranavitana will never be more then decent Test batsmen and they should just play Chandimal and/or Karunaratne at the top.

Loving the fact we have players averaging mid 40s coming into the Test team, not any guys averaging over 30. If only some of them can start averaging 40 odd in the Test matches.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mathews should open with Thirimanne or Karunarathne. Chandimal should be the ideal #6 with his ultra aggressive aproach. If Mathews cannot survive NZ seam attack with new ball on Galle pitch, forget about facing Aussies at Bellerive Oval.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
That is another option, but will never happen unless they give up on Mathews as an all rounder.

They could also drop P Jayawardene as well and play all three youngsters. The extra runs from Chandimal could make a difference over the greater keeping ability of Prassana, especially in Australia.

Athlai

Not Terrible
What is the expected Sri Lankan lineup?

Hoping (against all odds) conditions favour seamers, reckon our teams are fairly evenly matched if our bowlers get a bit of an advantage.

Flem274*

123/5
It's a bit of a catch 22 really. Quick bowler friendly conditions provide us with a big advantage but they also give the Sri Lankan seamers a bit of a leg up, and their seam bowling stocks are probably the only area we can exploit.

A flat pitch gives their batsmen a huge advantage but it also puts massive pressure on their spinners because it gives our batsmen a bit of a leg up.

If it's a spinners pitch, we're up against it, especially since we'll try to beat Sri Lanka at their own game and play two spinners against batsmen who love spin at the expense of a pacer.

Anyway, New Zealand to win by an innings. 600 declared with Taylor 300* (250) and the pacemen to rip Sri Lanka a new one.

For a realistic prediction, invert mine.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, New Zealand to win by an innings. 600 declared with Taylor 300* (250) and the pacemen to rip Sri Lanka a new one.

For a realistic prediction, invert mine.
lol, like Taylor could ever bat for 250 balls without getting out. If he's to score a 300, he'll need to do it in 150 max.