• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Xuhaib

International Coach
That's entirely up to the batsmen.

I actually see us as West Indies circa 1998-2000. Quality new ball lineup will always keep us in the game but we will probably still be prone to a massive collapse for a while yet.
reckon you might win atleast one vs England at home. SA will be tough but even they have atleast one or even two random collapses in a series make sure you bat well in the game where they do a collapse.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah this isn't a new dawn as such for the batting. Our batsmen benefited massively from batting first on this complete and utter Roadie McRoad, and we still started out 14/2 and 75/5. The batsmen still have a long slog ahead to show they're up to it. Taylor was the star here and we already know that when he fires we can get a good total.

But we also dominated a world class batting line up on this Roadie McRoad, and the pitches will be much more pace friendly in South Africa. Based on what I've seen here I think we can challenge the South African batsmen on their home turf.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mathews is a bit of a strange one isn't he?

The way he has batted when going for a draw/win at times - generally he's batted very well but the aggression and so on has been very selfish it seems.

Stapel

International Regular
Yeah this isn't a new dawn as such for the batting. Our batsmen benefited massively from batting first on this complete and utter Roadie McRoad, and we still started out 14/2 and 75/5. The batsmen still have a long slog ahead to show they're up to it. Taylor was the star here and we already know that when he fires we can get a good total.

But we also dominated a world class batting line up on this Roadie McRoad, and the pitches will be much more pace friendly in South Africa. Based on what I've seen here I think we can challenge the South African batsmen on their home turf.
That would be something. SA have the best batting line-up imho.

Days of Grace

International Captain
That would be something. SA have the best batting line-up imho.
In all conditions, yes.

But Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka has been one of the toughest tests for any bowling lineup for the past decade.

The pitches in South Africa almost work against their batting lineup being able to completely dominate sides.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mathews is a bit of a strange one isn't he?

The way he has batted when going for a draw/win at times - generally he's batted very well but the aggression and so on has been very selfish it seems.
That last shot in particular was a peculiar one. It did have me wondering whether he was looking at an outside chance of a 100. He can definitely play though.

Flem274*

123/5
Onus is on the batsmen now. There's all this talk of averaging 40 but 40 doesn't cut it in the modern era. If you want to be world class, you have to be averaging 50+. I don't know if they will ever get there but scoring big on roads instead of collapsing in a heap like we see so often at Napier, first innings Adelaide etc will go a long way to pushing our averages up. The New Zealand batsmen have made a habit in the past five years of rendering the pitch irrelevant in a bad way. Also, if you score big on roads it gives you valuable confidence and time in the middle you can bring to the fair and the bowling friendly decks.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
What's Port Elizabeth been like lately, you know Cribb? Still slow and low enough for...certain Stags bats to get on top of the bounce? Windy and not often good to swing bowlers?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Gah, my missus said yes earlier this evening, so me and her lawyers spent the last 7 hours negotiating the conditions. Still, way to go boys!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What's Port Elizabeth been like lately, you know Cribb? Still slow and low enough for...certain Stags bats to get on top of the bounce? Windy and not often good to swing bowlers?
There hasn't been a Test there for years but there have been a few ODIs there in the past couple of seasons and it looked really slow for a South African wicket. When South Africa play Australia in an ODI and the best bowlers on both sides are part-time spinners you know there's something a bit strange about the pitch.

Yuvraj tore South Africa a new one with the ball in an ODI there last year as well IIRC, although that might have been Durban.

Instinctively, not a ground I'd be looking to play four quicks at by any stretch of the imagination.

Flem274*

123/5
There hasn't been a Test there for years but there have been a few ODIs there in the past couple of seasons and it looked really slow for a South African wicket. When South Africa play Australia in an ODI and the best bowlers on both sides are part-time spinners you know there's something a bit strange about the pitch.

Yuvraj tore South Africa a new one with the ball in an ODI there last year as well IIRC, although that might have been Durban.

Instinctively, not a ground I'd be looking to play four quicks at by any stretch of the imagination.
You'll be hoping for SA to tastle it then?

Flem274*

123/5
:naughty:

Although she's joking if she thinks I'm ready to handle the pressure on the biggest stage. I've got no show.
Stop Gambhiring Eeyore.

"Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said <???>, feeling him.
Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to <???> what happened when you had been inside a <CENSORED> for quite a long time.