• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Flem274*

123/5
Is Gillespie off the radar again?

I'd have thought he'd be next in line.
Nah he should be in contention. Everyone is excited about Milne mowing Otago to pieces the other day though and Wagner leap frogged Gillespie when he got injured. Gillespie is back though and took a few wickets until today when he ran into Munro on a road, but still got 4fer. Has been flaying his cameos like those against SA with the bat too.

I'd still have him next in line, though he could lose that possie between now and January.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

I'd have thought he'd be next in line (particularly as he took 5-fers in his last Tests against South Africa)
He's fit again, but has been getting average results in Plunket Shield cricket (13 @ 37). He's been in great batting form though...

Reckon he's still likely to be first cab off the rank.

Mike5181

International Captain
Nah he should be in contention. Everyone is excited about Milne mowing Otago to pieces the other day though and Wagner leap frogged Gillespie when he got injured. Gillespie is back though and took a few wickets until today when he ran into Munro on a road, but still got 4fer. Has been flaying his cameos like those against SA with the bat too.

I'd still have him next in line, though he could lose that possie between now and January.
Had a look at it now. Amazingly, Gillespie bowled 40 overs in that innings.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I'd have thought he'd be next in line (particularly as he took 5-fers in his last Tests against South Africa)
Us armchair fans never quite know where Gillespie sits in the pecking order because of his injury history. He's often fit to play domestic cricket in a way he wouldn't be fit to to play Test cricket because he's only useful in the latter if he's bowling fast, hostile stuff. He's not accurate or skillful enough to make the side if he's only bowling low 130s.

Without watching these games it's hard to tell if he's just phoning it in bowling seamers for Wellington at half fitness or actually bowling something that would add something to the attack at Test level. The selectors timed it right last time and now he's on the comeback trail. I think they've got him sorted really; I trust their judgement on it.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Without watching these games it's hard to tell if he's just phoning it in bowling seamers for Wellington at half fitness or actually bowling something that would add something to the attack at Test level. T
Yeah when his yorkers and short balls start beating domestix for sheer pace you know it's time, certainly not doing that at the moment.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
I think there's plenty of time.

4 wickets before lunch is very gettable. If the lead is 150 odd at that stage, bat until just before the end of play and send them in again. We should be able to manage another 200 runs in just under 2 sessions.

Things tend to happen on day 5.
I bow to your superior optimism.

I would never have dreamed that 17 wickets could have fallen in one day on that pitch. Huge credit to the NZ seam bowlers. Outstanding effort.

So, we long suffering NZ supporters find ourselves in a familiar position. NZ on top and they should win from here, but can they seal the deal? Can NZ find that killer instinct that has so often eluded them?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whoo-hoo!

My flat has Sky, but not Sky Sport. I need to rectify this, pronto.

Having said that, not watching has been working out kind of well...

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Some Dougeh bowling stats:

4th match innings 16 wickets @ 18.87
2nd match in series 19 @ 21.05
Matches batting first 34 @ 26.73 (8 @ 45.37 fielding first)
2nd team innings 23 @ 19.34

And if I get ahead of myself here

won batting first 20 @ 11.70

Last edited:

NZTailender

Some Dougeh bowling stats:

4th match innings 16 wickets @ 18.87
2nd match in series 19 @ 21.05
Matches batting first 34 @ 26.73 (8 @ 45.37 fielding first)
2nd team innings 23 @ 19.34

And if I get ahead of myself here

won batting first 20 @ 11.70
To try and balance out the jinx

won toss & batted 14 @ 47.35
won the toss 21 @44.66

NZTailender

I wonder if this Test will make people notice the fact that New Zealand actually have a bloody promising fast bowling attack these days. More than promising actually, I reckon it's just straight up good. Win or lose I reckon this match is going a long way to backing that up.
'kin oath. Remember a few years back when trying to predict what the future line up would be like, and these three always featured and received mixed reviews as to whether or not they'd be good enough. Seems like we're on a good path.
Just remembered Bennett too - except his long form stats aren't flash...

Flem274*

123/5
Remember when the batting was just as fragile and Martin-Tuffeh-Arnel-Vettori was our "attack"?

A lot changes in circa 3 years. We really had a missing generation there for a while. Makes it all the more perplexing some guys played less tests than they did. I know Vettori had a massive flounce over Marto getting dropped for Gillespie and kept bowling him to Gayle and co in that Dunedin test but jeez Michael Mason, Andre Adams...

I suppose I'm looking at this with 20/20 hindsight. At the time we didn't know if Arnel, Tuffeh mk II and Jimmy mk II would be successful, and Tuffeh actually had a couple of good games. O'Brien was a shining light 2008 - 2010.