• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Luke 'Benedict Arnold' Ronchi poised to play for NZ

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think "poised to" is overstating the case slightly. NZ might decide to give him a swerve completely. Keen as they are on converted Saffers/Aussies, none of the imports to have made the full Black Caps sides had already played full internationals for another test nation.

Wonder who the last player to do so was, actually? Wessells would be my guess.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
He would still have to push his way past KVW, Watling, De Boorder and Tom Latham. I'd like to see one of those 4 following a top 6 of:

Rutherford (gamble but a leftie who can score big)
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum (to be a swashbuckling senior pro at no 5 - ala Astle/McMillan)
Ryder

Mike5181

International Captain
He would still have to push his way past KVW, Watling, De Boorder and Tom Latham. I'd like to see one of those 4 following a top 6 of:

Rutherford (gamble but a leftie who can score big)
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum (to be a swashbuckling senior pro at no 5 - ala Astle/McMillan)
Ryder
  1. McCullum
  2. Guptill
  3. Williamson
  4. Taylor
  5. Ryder
  6. Flynn/Broom/Franklin
  7. Ronchi+

Would be interesting to see how that batting lineup would go.

Spooony

Banned
Kiwi's really that desperate to cap a 31 year old Aussie looking for a couple of international games before he retires?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So dire how one can just switch countries to get a couple of games under their belt. I have no problems with the players themselves wanting to do it, I understand they want to further their careers, but it just feels wrong.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ronchi should make NZ's shorter format teams. Reckon he'd be a success especially at home playing on some of those smaller grounds and it wouldn't be the worst idea having an experienced campaigner like him in the team with the next World Cup obviously being in Australia.

I wouldn't pick him for Test Cricket though. He is capable, but so is Van Wyk.

Spooony

Banned
Have you seen New Zealand's win/loss record over the past 4 years?
Can't blame them for drop in pitches playing 2nd fiddle to rugby. Almost remind me of Australia's poaching of Kiwi's in the rugby but at least if you poach poach a 20 something year old not a 31 year old has been. Leave that to us and our selection policies...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ronchi will have to score truckloads to get in the mix. He's got Ryder/Taylor/Williamson/Guptill/McCullum and probably Franklin ahead of him at this stage. Unless Brendon doesn't want the gloves, then he's a good chance - Watling isn't really a ODI option despite continued selection.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In McCullum, Ryder, Williamson, Taylor and Guptill, NZ have a pretty decent batting line-up IMO. The primary problem is finding a wicketkeeper who can bat 6 to let Vettori play at 7, alongside the gun bowling attack they have.

McCullum
Guptill
Ryder
Williamson
Taylor
de Boorder/Ronchi/Watling (wk)
Vettori
Bracewell
Wagner
Astle/Southee/Whoever
Boult

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Franklin
Vettori
de Boorder
Bracewell
Southee
Boult

would be my ideal team if everyone was fit and available. Obviously no Vettori, de Boorder or Ryder for the Tests against the Lankans.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Care to explain?
Well obviously our bowling attack isn't perfect right now, we could always do with a genuine fast bowler or a more attacking spinner. But really our bowlers are the least of our worries. I'm quite confident we have at least 5 quicks who would be solid, if not spectacular, Test performers.

Relative to our batting order and our keeper, our bowling attack is pretty settled (even if it's not the same guys every test - we actually have a bit of depth for once).