• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar's bowling

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I saw a bit of Tendulkar's bowling at the Gabba test.

Why wasn't he bowling the leg breaks he bowls in the one-dayers ?
He does impart a fair bit of spin to those leg breaks and I guess
the offies that he also throws up.

Why don't India bowl him a little more in test matches ? I'm not saying he has great spin bowling talent or anything, but he maintains a fairly good line and length and by mixing them up fairly well, he may snare a wicket or two when you least expect it.
For a fifth bowler, I don't think he is all that bad an option.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well they did use him quite often, but now they've got Sehwag who they rate as a better bowler, so they bowl him most of the time.

deeps

International 12th Man
i dunno if ne1 else has noticed...Ganguly tends to under-bowl tendulkar severly... WHenever dravid is captaining the team,tendulkar get's a fair bowl,but when ganguly captains,tendulkar get's very few overs..

has ne1 else ever noticed this?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
IMO, if you have a player as good with the bat as he is, you don't want to ask him to do anything else if you can help it!

hourn

U19 Cricketer
I actually think Sehwag has the potential to be a very good fifth bowler, but they just need to get him in the nets with a decent spin coach and get him to bowl, bowl, bowl and when he's bowled enough, get him to bowl some more.

He gets the ball to drift out just a fraction, bowls a good line and length, but atm he just bowls door knobs which will result consistently in the fieldsman picking the ball out of the fence (or from the grandstand).

He just needs to impart a bit of spin and variety to put some doubt in the batsmen's mind, and use the flight and drift that he gets to pick up wickets.

He could be a good fifth bowler average 30-35 or thereabouts. He shouldn't have an average in the 60's.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Shall I mention the two beautifully timed shots from *you know who* (Martyn) off *you know who* (Sehwag)?

Nah, I wont.:)

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Linda said:
Shall I mention the two beautifully timed shots from *you know who* (Martyn) off *you know who* (Sehwag)?

Nah, I wont.:)
hence the reason I said "atm he just bowls door knobs which will result consistently in the fieldsman picking the ball out of the fence (or from the grandstand)."

;)

Linda

Yeah I know, just couldnt resist naming the man who placed the ball in the grandstand so elegantly :D

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Linda said:
Yeah I know, just couldnt resist naming the man who placed the ball in the grandstand so elegantly :D

ahhhhhhh being a WA girl (presumably) it's always good to see one of your own scoring some runs..

Linda

You presumed correct. Hehehe...

And not only is he home grown, hes my all time favourite- WOOHOO!

Go_India

School Boy/Girl Captain
i am a big tendulkar fan and i would love to see him bowl, hes taken more than 100 wickets, his records speaks for himself:)

amits

Banned
tendulkar, is a good bowler as well. he can bowl medium pace, off spin and leg spin as well. tendulkaar, has been a very useful bowler in both odis and tests and he should be given more of a go in bowling.

tendulkar, has bowled india to a win in a few important matches as well, and his record speaks for himself. if dravid, becomes captain, then tendulkar, will be given lots of bowling to do. c the matches in which dravid captained india to know. tendulkar, even bwoled 20 overs in an innings as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tendulkar is like a lesser Sobers; almost as good with the bat as Sobers, and bowls seam, fingerspin and wristspin. Nowhere near as good as Sobers though, and IMO he's as good now as he'll ever be.
Same with Sehwag. One thing both of them could do, though, is bowl with their front feet behind the popping-crease. Bowlers with 2 or 3 pace run-ups bowling no-balls is laughable.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Go_India said:
i am a big tendulkar fan and i would love to see him bowl, hes taken more than 100 wickets, his records speaks for himself:)
28 wickets @ 47.46 in Tests
113 wickets @ 47.40 in ODI's

If that record speaks for itself, he shouldn't be ever thrown the ball!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
IMO, if you have a player as good with the bat as he is, you don't want to ask him to do anything else if you can help it!
That's why Lara and Chanderpaul don't bowl much, although both are reasonably talented.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
28 wickets @ 47.46 in Tests
113 wickets @ 47.40 in ODI's

If that record speaks for itself, he shouldn't be ever thrown the ball!
He is an intelligent bowler and that's better known to Aus and SA.He grabbed 5/45 in Kochi against Steve's aus in a one day, which would otherwise have gone to aus's favour(it included all the top order batsmen including steve's and bevan's.) He used to get a lot of chances when Azhar was the captain.(even won the Herocup semi against SA onlly because of his bowling). He was almost a regular bowler then.(consistently making break throughs). Steve might be remembering sachin 2 sharp warne type deliveries resulted in return catches in 2 suuccessive games.(in india).But never used to bowl long spells in tests.He is class player in sections of the game(even brian lara will think twice before chancing his arm against Sachin's bowling,as it happened many times.)
Sourav virtually cut his bowling(cold war b/w them) and gave more chances to Sehawag and he himself.
On the other hand, Sehwag was a spin bowler, turned to be an attacking batsman like Jayasurya.