1 5.56%
  • Jager

6 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft League Season 3: Voting Thread

Eds
    Few things I'm amazed at, thus far:
    - really thought this was the best team I'd drafted in this competition, ah well.
    - Himannv > Blakus, surely? In fact, Himannv really should be head and shoulders in front IMO, but okay.
    - AZH is surely worth more than one vote? I had him very close to getting one, and thought he'd challenge for the title overall. Very odd.

Gun writeup btw, watson.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I always like to make the effort top vote in these as its always an interesting exercise and not usually too difficult but I have to say that this time I seriously considered each and every one of the sides and there was no stand out although, ultimately, I am happy that the three I've gone for are, by the narrowest of margins, the best three

It took me quite a while to look through some of these teams and analyse them. Very interesting looking lineups on the whole but went with Jager, AZH and watson after quite a bit of thought. It's one of those instances where I would probably vote differently on a different day.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    Few things I'm amazed at, thus far:
    - really thought this was the best team I'd drafted in this competition, ah well.
    - Himannv > Blakus, surely? In fact, Himannv really should be head and shoulders in front IMO, but okay.
    - AZH is surely worth more than one vote? I had him very close to getting one, and thought he'd challenge for the title overall. Very odd.

Gun writeup btw, watson.
    Cheers, Eds.

I'm not sure how Himannv could be 'head and shoulders in front' because a new ball attack consisting of Larwood, S.Pollock, and Spoffoth is one of the weaker attacks on show (No offense to Himannv). Batting is awesome though.

By any measure, Lindwall-Adcock-Garner, Marshall-Croft-Farnes, and Imran-Donald-Tate (the 3 new ball attacks I voted for) are all significantly stronger and more likely to roll a top-order.

Incidently, I rate Farnes very highly despite his non-profile. A kind of 1930s Joel Garner with a smooth action and stat's to match. A Test SR of 65, and First Class SR of 46 are excellent. He complements Marshall perfectly.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/240634.html

(BTW: Like Hedley Verity, Farnes was killed in action during the War as a pilot. Apparently during a night-raid, 1941)
    Last edited by watson; 21-10-2012 at 04:55 AM.

Eds
    I meant Himannv head and shoulders above Blakus tbh. Not necessarily the whole group.

On that topic, I'd like to think my new ball bowlers of Holding-Miller-Dev-Barnes is probably the best.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Yeah there were a ton of players lost in the wars. Somewhere in one of Fred's articles there is a quote from 1925ish where the person claimed there were at least 10 better bats than wally hammond prior to the 1st world war and they were all lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

I meant Himannv head and shoulders above Blakus tbh. Not necessarily the whole group.

On that topic, I'd like to think my new ball bowlers of Holding-Miller-Dev-Barnes is probably the best.
    Holding and Barnes are the stand-outs there. A strong attack with very good variety.

Eds
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Holding and Barnes are the stand-outs there. A strong attack with very good variety.
    I personally regard Miller as being in the very top echelon, in terms of bowling. I'd only give him short spells (I've got Kallis and Robins who are also very handy), and when he bowled <20 overs in an innings, he averages under 21. I don't see why he isn't regarded in the same league as some of the greats, tbh.

I personally regard Miller as being in the very top echelon, in terms of bowling. I'd only give him short spells (I've got Kallis and Robins who are also very handy), and when he bowled <20 overs in an innings, he averages under 21. I don't see why he isn't regarded in the same league as some of the greats, tbh.
    Yes, Miller is in the top eschelon, but I think that most opening batsman would fear Michael Holding more. Just my impression. And Barnes was a one-off genius.

Eds
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Yes, Miller is in the top eschelon, but I think that most opening batsman would fear Michael Holding more. Just my impression. And Barnes was a one-off genius.
    Yeah, I agree they'd probably fear Holding more, but who'd actually be better at taking wickets for less runs? I'm not so sure.

But yeah, I'd say Barnes is the main man, personally.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Himmanv, Jager, Eds gets my vote!
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar

Except for mine, The Yorker King, Fiery Fred, and the 'Roo....

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Except for mine, The Yorker King, Fiery Fred, and the 'Roo....
    Mark Taylor averaged 79 against Pakistan in the 90s so he can play Waqar in his sleep. Hutton is used to yorkers because of Lindwall, so he's no worries against Waqar either.

Gregory is fast, but probably up and down. Again no worries,

Trueman though, he could be an issue to my top order.

One vote. FMD.

Stoked with 6 votes. Or 7 votes depending on the Bert/Herbert Sutcliffe thing.

More than the other 2 drafts combined. Yay.
    Last edited by watson; 22-10-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information