• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith vs Kevin Pietersen - better test batsman?

Satyanash89

Banned
I think Pietersen's definitely a better batsman in terms of ability and aesthetics. The way he tore apart Steyn in that 149 was just phenomenal. Really reminded me of Sir Viv when he smashed a huge six back over Steyns head.
That said, Smith is already a SA ATG for me. He's played several awesome innings, has excelled in tough chases, came out to bat with a freaking broken hand to save a dead rubber and has ended the careers of three english captains. Id definitely rather have him as a part of my team than crybaby KP

Spooony

Banned
As a matter of interest could KP average near fifty as an opener?
That is good. No one is disputing his record or his ability. He is poetry in motion when he gets going compared to the ugly style of Smith. But difference is Smith thinks about match situation and grind it out for the team. Even if he takes 350 balls to score a 100. Not the number of runs but the time occupied. Especially when you try to save a game by batting out the day. What use is a 140 of 140 balls in 2 hours then get out when your team needed their best batsman to stay at the crease for 4 to 5 hours and try to survive. That is KP. He plays for himself and only for himself where Smith will grind it out.

That is why I said KP can only dream about the things Smith has done because KP will always be selfish and play for himself.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd take Graeme Smith. Its relatively close, but I think Smith has more positives than negatives.

I also think the peaks KP hit weren't achieved for long enough to be enough of a counter to Smith's consistency.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Interesting that the comparison is even coming up, pretty sure most thought we'd be comparing him to Viv, Chappell, etc. at this stage of his career.
Hah, great point. Most interesting one in the thread.

Back in 05/06 there is no way one would have thought we'd be comparing KP to Smith (with some, including myself, having Smith better). Comparisons with greats was on the cards.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The proof of this is in both having similar records and the consensus being that Smith has done very nicely, ta v much & Pietersen carrying the faint whiff of a forever unfulfilled potential.
This is true, but I reckon Smith would have achieved more without the burden of captaincy for so many years.

The burden of choking also forever on his huge chest.

Marius

International Debutant
Pietersen is much better to watch, but as already been said in this thread, you would rather want Smith batting for your life.

Smith is also less of a plonker than Pietersen. Not by much though to be honest.

ProteasFan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would have Smith ahead of KP. Smith in mind, is an SA ATG. To keep an average of 50 whilst opening the batting and having the captaincy thrust onto his shoulders at the tender age of 22 is incredible. He made mistakes when he was "growing up" but in the last 3-4 years he has been a class act as a person and on the field.

KP is an arrogant moron who plays for himself and has no knowledge of the consequences his actions cause.

If my life depended on a batting innings, I would choose Smith ahead of Pieterson, Infact, I doubt I would choose anyone over Smith.

indiaholic

International Captain
Smith has a strike rate of 59.85 while Pietersen scores at 63.26. Not enough of a difference.
For me, Smith is the better player.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would just like to add my two cents in here. First, it is ridiculous to try and compare their roles in the team because one is an opener, and the other a number 5 batsman. Not just that, Pietersen is the only batsman in his batting line-up who can actually play the attacking role (not counting Prior here) and who is not a dreadful bore to watch. Even technically, Pietersen soars where others can flounder. In fact, it is technically that he far surpasses his teammates, but the others have a slightly better temperament perhaps, especially against spinners. Smith is like a Cook or a Trott. It would be better to compare him to those two. As the opposition, I would much, much rather be caught on Smith's good day than Pietersen's good day.

harsh.ag

aside from the fact that smith has never lost a test he has scored a 100 in?
Honestly, dude, how does that picture into a discussion about who is a better batsman? Maybe Smith's 100s have an inspirational effect on his teammates, or maybe KP has got his mates so pissed off at himself that they can't stand his success. Either way, it doesn't matter.

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly, dude, how does that picture into a discussion about who is a better batsman? Maybe Smith's 100s have an inspirational effect on his teammates, or maybe KP has got his mates so pissed off at himself that they can't stand his success. Either way, it doesn't matter.
If Smith's good days correlate perfectly with his team winning, I'd rather not be on the other side of his good days.

edit: ****, beaten

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This will sound odd, but I think Pietersen is a better player, though Smith more likely to give consistent output.
Totally agree, add in the fact that Smith is far less likely to throw it away when set because of his ego by trying to smash a bowler out of the ground and Smith comes out ahead. KP has more talent, one of the most talented players I have ever seen but hasn't made as much of it as he may have despite a brilliant record.

Feel dirty now saying Smith is better as I can't stand the guy.

harsh.ag

If Smith's good days correlate perfectly with his team winning, I'd rather not be on the other side of his good days.

edit: ****, beaten
I get that, but it still doesn't have anything to do with a comparison on batting ability. That correlation is depended on completely unrelated parameters like the quality of the team around the player, the form of the team, the level of inspiration etc. When I said I would rather face Smith's good day vs Pietersen's good day, I meant that given the other 10 members of the team being the same.

Last edited:

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would just like to add my two cents in here. First, it is ridiculous to try and compare their roles in the team because one is an opener, and the other a number 5 batsman. Not just that, Pietersen is the only batsman in his batting line-up who can actually play the attacking role (not counting Prior here) and who is not a dreadful bore to watch. Even technically, Pietersen soars where others can flounder. In fact, it is technically that he far surpasses his teammates, but the others have a slightly better temperament perhaps, especially against spinners. Smith is like a Cook or a Trott. It would be better to compare him to those two. As the opposition, I would much, much rather be caught on Smith's good day than Pietersen's good day.
I don't particularly like Ian Bell but I would say that 'technically' he is as good as it gets and is a joy to watch when he is playing a cover drive or lofted shot down the ground off a spinner.

KP more destructive but a lot of what he offers is sheer strength and power.

Satyanash89

Banned
I don't particularly like Ian Bell but I would say that 'technically' he is as good as it gets and is a joy to watch when he is playing a cover drive or lofted shot down the ground off a spinner.

KP more destructive but a lot of what he offers is sheer strength and power.
Bells meh to me... comes off as a poor-mans Damien Martyn... cant put a finger on why. KP is a lot like Sir Viv... brutal elegance... KP's flicks do have a touch of class about them. And i dont think many batsmen can pull a 95 mph brett lee bouncer for a flat six

Spooony

Banned
Hello Smith been facing the new ball on all kinds of tracks his whole international carreer. His job is to knock the seem in. Something someone coming in at no 4 and down do not experience a lot as it takes about 10 overs. Looking at Smith's record its phenominal considering he faced the quicks fresh with a new ball. Just look at last test vs England what new ball did. The first one knocked over half the English batting line up. Then England where chasing trying to get as close as possible before 2nd new one. When it came it was all over. Old ball the batsman were comfy with. Smith do not have that luxury. Talking about attacking I mean 90 of 55 balls in that 434 chase? No slouch was he.

If I would compare batsman with one another I would compare Gibbs and Peterson. Gibbs also had all the ability and flair but also have that facepalm moments throwing it away.

L Trumper

State Regular
Totally agree, add in the fact that Smith is far less likely to throw it away when set because of his ego by trying to smash a bowler out of the ground and Smith comes out ahead. KP has more talent, one of the most talented players I have ever seen but hasn't made as much of it as he may have despite a brilliant record.

Feel dirty now saying Smith is better as I can't stand the guy.
Haha! Self perpetuating myth regarding KP that. He is actually the best among current english batters scoring consistently high scores and not giving away wicket cheaply. Just that people remember KP's failure better because of all the brouhaha surrounding him but statistically that is not true.