• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What happens when Warne finishes his suspension

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I believe that Australia will pick Warne as soon as his suspension is over. The first commitment is the tour to Sri Lanka and then to India. I can see both Warne and Macgill being picked and playing in the Tests. Instead of blooding a new batsman to take over Steve Waugh in the tests, Gilchrist will bat at 6 leaving a 5 man attack with Warne, MacGill, Gillespie, McGrath and Lee. If they play 6 batsman (Katich in the spin friendly conditions), Lee would miss out.

What do others think?

Katich will be gone by then.

Plus, if Katich and Clarke are on the same level bowling wise (which they are), Clarke has bowled with success on the subcontinent already.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
for Australia to conquer India in India next year, they need to hit them with pace not spin.

Playing both Warne and Mcgill against India on their home turf would be a very bad mistake IMO.

You're right about that, but on that note they need to take quality pacemen who can overcome pace-unfriendly pitches, not this 2nd string stuff that has been debated about. They might have performed in the TVS cup but test matches are a different kettle of fish. They'll need all of McGrath, Lee and Gillespie if they want the pace attack to work.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
furious_ged said:
You're right about that, but on that note they need to take quality pacemen who can overcome pace-unfriendly pitches, not this 2nd string stuff that has been debated about. They might have performed in the TVS cup but test matches are a different kettle of fish. They'll need all of McGrath, Lee and Gillespie if they want the pace attack to work.
Which still leaves the original conundrum - whether to play Warne, MacGill or both.

One thing you won't want to be doing on the subcontinent is going in with either Clarke or Katich being trumpeted as a valid bowling option - both would get slaughtered.

I suspect they will take both MacGill and Warne to Sri Lanka, play MacGill in the tests and replace him with Warne if he even smells like he might bowl badly.

bennyr said:
Which still leaves the original conundrum - whether to play Warne, MacGill or both.
No it doesn't leave the 'original conundrum'. This problem you speak of would arise whoever the pace bowlers are, so having the best pace attack when a pace attack is required actually solves the problem somewhat.

Originally posted by bennyr
One thing you won't want to be doing on the subcontinent is going in with either Clarke or Katich being trumpeted as a valid bowling option
...Which is why it's not going to happen.

Originally posted by bennyr
I suspect they will take both MacGill and Warne to Sri Lanka, play MacGill in the tests and replace him with Warne if he even smells like he might bowl badly.
Thus there is no conundrum at all.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
Plus, if Katich and Clarke are on the same level bowling wise (which they are), Clarke has bowled with success on the subcontinent already.
Pointless comparison since Katich hasn't had the chance to bowl out there.

It's not pointless, as I wasn't comparing subcontinental bowling performances. I said they were on the same level, and that comparison can be used because they have both bowled in Australia.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Katich and Clarke can't be said to be on the same level for bowling as Katich has at least 3 5for in first class cricket. Has Clarke got a wicket?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
If Lee goes to India the chances are he'll get hammered, and because there are fewer places to hide in India than most places it may result in him being shown-up once and for all.
McGrath had an average of less than 16 last time but Gillespie's was over 30. If India play well they won't be overtly troubled by either IMO.

Rich2001

International Captain
Richard said:
If Lee goes to India the chances are he'll get hammered, and because there are fewer places to hide in India than most places it may result in him being shown-up once and for all.
McGrath had an average of less than 16 last time but Gillespie's was over 30. If India play well they won't be overtly troubled by either IMO.
I disagree here, Lee is vital to Australia as his extra pace will be like goldust on the slow dead pitches out there, McGrath and co will easier to handle with no movment and no real pace... Lee on the other hand will lose pace but will still be a far quicker bowler than anyone on the tour and India are more exposed to genuine pace than they will be to anything else.

Originally posted by mavric41
I believe that Australia will pick Warne as soon as his suspension is over. The first commitment is the tour to Sri Lanka and then to India. I can see both Warne and Macgill being picked and playing in the Tests. Instead of blooding a new batsman to take over Steve Waugh in the tests, Gilchrist will bat at 6 leaving a 5 man attack with Warne, MacGill, Gillespie, McGrath and Lee. If they play 6 batsman (Katich in the spin friendly conditions), Lee would miss out.

What do others think?
Warne has retired from ODI's so play Macgill in the ODI's and Warne in the Tests and your problem is solved :saint: :lol: - Seriously though I can see both playing espically in Sri Lanka

Langeveldt

Soutie
Give Warne his swansong in India, then go with MacGill afterwards (unless he too is getting on?)

I rate him as a very fine bowler...

Salamuddin

International Debutant
dunno if it will be much of a swansong for warne -- India are one of the very few teams who actually relish the thought of playing him.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think that due to Sri Lanka not really being the biggest force in world cricket at the moment only 4 bowlers will play - 3 quicks and the spinner - probably macgill - Warne may also make the tour however - we will have to wait and see. the biuggest threat from sri lanka comes from Murali - the extra batsman would help - katich may go as the extra spin option - Lehmann could well be back by than and is a very good player of spin and left handed - harder foption for the off spinner - they may both play. Trevor Hohns was on the cricket show yesterday and didn't really say much about steve waughs replacement other than to say that there were plenty of batsmen making runs in the pura cup - so that would indicate Hodge, Katich, Love - Hussey also made a hundred yesterday so hes batting well too (that ans hes got 3 triple centuries compared to love's 1)

the XI i would have for the first test in Sri lanka

Hayden
Langer
Ponting*
Martyn
Hussey
Lehmann
Gilchrist (wk)
Lee
Gillespie
Macgill
McGrath

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Mum, I'll be appearing on telly quite often now I've got this commentating job."

"Good boy, Shane. Richie'll be retiring soon - got to look your best. Take a couple of these....."

etc

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I think that they will play two spinners regardless in both Sri Lanka and India. The other possibility is playing Shane Watson at 6 as the third seamer. All depends on how recovers from his back injury and how he performs.

Shane Watson? You're insane! The selectors won't even think about him as a bowler for a while yet. Like Clarke, people want to see more of him before he gets anywhere near the test team.

I do think he will make the test team one day, however, as he is a genuine allrounder and he is getting better (especially his batting).

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
furious_ged said:
Shane Watson? You're insane! The selectors won't even think about him as a bowler for a while yet. Like Clarke, people want to see more of him before he gets anywhere near the test team.

I do think he will make the test team one day, however, as he is a genuine allrounder and he is getting better (especially his batting).
It was a very rough outside chance. We are talking of tours next year. Only time will tell.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
McGrath had the better figures but Gillespie was , by popular opinion of players on both sides , the better bowler in that series.

He always looked like getting a wicket & had a lot of chances spilled.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia will do much better in Sri Lanka than there last tour there. For starters they have a settled successfull opening partnership, last time it was Slater and Blewett. Ponting had a good tour last time and is a far, far better batsman than he was last time, and of course Australia no longer have the 'Duckman' against Sri Lanka - Mark Waugh. Sri Lanka are in a strange stage at the moment, they seem to neither be rebuilding or stable, the team is like a revolving door at the moment, but they are always a strong side at home, I meant, Murili is always strong at home.

Re India:

I'm not so sure Australia need to play pace to beat India in India, they tried it last time and it didn't work. I doubt there have been that many amazingly successfull Indian fast bowlers (Kapil Dev excluded) they have a history of great spinners, so Australia should use that to their advantage IMO.