• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Akhtar v Brett Lee

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Shoaib

IMO Shoaib Akhtar is so much better than Lee. His stats are better. His bowling strike rate in tests is 42 compared to Lee's 52. And his average is 25. Lee's average is 30.

In ODIs there are almost equal. Lee's average is 21.43 (SR is 27.4) and Akhtar averages 21.41 (SR 28.4).

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
deeps said:
Hayden isn't that talented...His success is a result of his hard work over the years,not talent... Have u seen hayden about 10 years back? He used to trip over his own feet, had terrible foot work and was not the batsman he is now... The most talented would have to be Ricky Ponting
Yeah I think Ponting is probably the most natrualy gifted batsman in the Australian team.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:

Lee may give the misleading impression that he is more accurate.
It's not missleading he is actualy quite accurate when he is asked to bowl that way. Steve Waugh I know for one just tell's him to run in and bowl everything as fast as he can and not bother about line and length and I dont think that has helped him.

I will give you an example's

In the net's at training before the Boxing day test match against SA a few years ago the aussie fast bowlers were having some sort of a practice game to see how many times they could hit the stump's off a full run up and beleve it or not Lee is the best at it or was on that day by quite a bit.

His action is very good he does not fall away or have any lose end's and just by looking at it you should be fairly confident that he is going to be capable of being fairly accurate. there is nothing in his action that is going to potentialy make him lose controll.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Shoaib at his best will be devestating against anyone (witness his performances against New Zealand & Australia in both forms of the game in the last 2 years) , however he aint at his best that often.
Lee has been rubbish in tests for 2 years now , so ne prize for who I would rather have in a 5 day game.
However in a ODI I'd rather Lee , more accurate & consistent in the shorter form of the game.
Also a world class feildsman & useful hitter.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Has Shoaib then?
I wouldn't be so sure!
Hmm... I dunno. Perhaps. I just think that Brett Lee (like others said) is I suppose 'dumb' in the game, I think once he learns how to control his bowling a little more and not worry so much about sheer pace, he could be far better than Shoaib.

As for the girl thing, like others said I aint the only girl. Doesnt really matter anyway, all of us love cricket.

Brett Lee has no trouble with his accuracy! At age level, he once took 6/0 off one over - all bowled.

Now if he was able to hit the stumps like that at age level...

Wow.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah at age level but never at anything higher.

I ask you Eclipise, the thing were he hit the stumps the most was there a batsan or was he just bowling as a target?

Anyway what do net form supposed to mean?

The point is, Craig, that if he could do that at age level imagine what he could become. It's a remarkable feat to have achieved as a kid.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
Yeah at age level but never at anything higher.

I ask you Eclipise, the thing were he hit the stumps the most was there a batsan or was he just bowling as a target?

Anyway what do net form supposed to mean?
No there were no batsman.

But they were practicing off a full run up at close to full pace.

There are diffrences between net practice and in a game but if he is so good at it in the net's then there is no reason why he cant do it in a game other than prehap's mental pressure and Fatigue.

Apart from that I can remember plenty of time's when Lee has bowled accuratly in matches. remember the test match against New Zealand at the Gabba a few years ago when he bowld 6 consecutive yorkers to Chris Cairn's who was on fire and looked like winning NZ the match??

Or the two Final's of the VB series last year when he took 3/29 off 10 overs and 5/35 off ten overs.

Especialy in the last one were his second spell won the match for Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Until he does it in international matches with any consistency you can't set any stall by nets.
He might take stacks of (more late-innings than early) wickets in ODIs but even there he still gets hammered round the park most of the time.
Flintoff is accurate, Lee has more ability to move the ball. Neither are very good Test bowlers, though both have been championed in ODIs.

Craig

World Traveller
Eclipse said:
No there were no batsman.

But they were practicing off a full run up at close to full pace.

There are diffrences between net practice and in a game but if he is so good at it in the net's then there is no reason why he cant do it in a game other than prehap's mental pressure and Fatigue.

Apart from that I can remember plenty of time's when Lee has bowled accuratly in matches. remember the test match against New Zealand at the Gabba a few years ago when he bowld 6 consecutive yorkers to Chris Cairn's who was on fire and looked like winning NZ the match??

Or the two Final's of the VB series last year when he took 3/29 off 10 overs and 5/35 off ten overs.

Especialy in the last one were his second spell won the match for Australia.
I also remember in that series him getting hit around by the openers of Sri Lanaka and England.

You yourself have called Lee over-rated.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
He might take stacks of (more late-innings than early) wickets in ODIs but even there he still gets hammered round the park most of the time.
Funny that, looking at the list of batsmen he's dismissed in ODIs more than once, the only one I'd say is a tailender is Saqlain.

Aside from that, it's all genuine batsmen.

Considering Australia have the best attack by a mile, then if they're "late-innings" it suggests to me that he's got settled men out, but considering the quality of attack for Australia, I find that unlikely.

As for "getting smacked around", I can bet there's more than a few bowlers who'd take 4.69 Eco rate.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah and there are plenty of bowlers with econs under 4.69 an over. Even your beloved Flintoff.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Yeah and there are plenty of bowlers with econs under 4.69 an over. Even your beloved Flintoff.
Relevance of mentioning Flintoff? Personally I wouldn't mind 10-0-55-4 instead of 10-5-20-0 if I had the Aussie batting lineup and McGrath, Gillespie in support.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
As for "getting smacked around", I can bet there's more than a few bowlers who'd take 4.69 Eco rate.
coming down too - was over 5 previously - my hope is that he will bowl better under pontings captaincy in the tests as he has in ODI's

Craig

World Traveller
There wasnt any revelance towards Flintoff. I just listed him as a bowler whose econ is under 4.69 an over.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll tell you what - I'd take both for the England team any day of the week - and I'd gladly give up Anderson, Harmison, Jones, Hoggard, take your pick..