• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian ATG Team- Open Voting

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
there are 3 McCabe knocks - 187 in bodyline, 232 at trent bridge, in which the don said 'stan if i could play an innings like i'd be very proud' (or something like that), and 189* v SA chasing a target, in which SA demanded they go off the field due to poor light. the 232 was in response to england knocking up 600 odd and bradman falling cheaply (eg 50)

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As a result of this most successful day for England, Monday's play began with Australia's score 138 for three. McCabe being 19 not out, made in 35 minutes. A record of these facts is a necessary preliminary to a description of the amazing batting which followed from McCabe and gave such an epic turn to the game. Six wickets were down for 194 and then McCabe, assisted in turn by three left-hand batsmen - Barnett, O'Reilly and McCormick - altered the whole aspect of affairs. In a little less than four hours, McCabe scored 232 out of 300 - his highest score in a Test match. His driving was tremendously hard, he hooked short balls with certainty and power, one off Farnes yielding a six, and he showed real genius in batting Hammond's efforts to keep him away from the bowling. While McCabe was running riot, the England captain delayed calling for the new ball and took other measures in the hope of keeping down runs, but the Australia, having completed his first hundred in two hours, twenty minutes, proceeded to score 4's much more readily. Wright was hit for 44 runs off three successive overs. Although he traveled so fast, McCabe did not offer a real chance, but once Edrich made a plucky effort to hold a ball hooked with terrific power. In the last ten overs bowled to him, McCabe took the strike in eight and hit 16 of his thirty-four 4's and in a last wickets stand of 77 with Fleetwood-Smith he scored 72 in 28 minutes. His glorious innings ended in a fitting way for in attempting a big hit off Verity he skied the ball to cover.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The 232 is the innings Bradman went to his grave saying was the best he ever saw - when McCabe got out and returned to the dressing room The Don shook his hand vigorously and said "If I could play an innings like that I'd be a proud man, Stan."

uvelocity

International Coach
haven't read the links but @ spikeys quote, i love old text so much. I'd quote something, but I just love how the whole thing is written.

Howe_zat

Audio File
My favourite part of it was:

As a result of this most successful day for England, Monday's play began with Australia's score 138 for three. McCabe being 19 not out, made in 35 minutes. A record of these facts is a necessary preliminary to a description of the amazing batting which followed from McCabe and gave such an epic turn to the game
"We're awfully sorry for wasting your time, but really, we feel this was quite something."

Makes you wonder what poeple would think of Cricinfo detailing how many balls were in each quadrant of the pitch juxtaposed with speed and revolutions on the ball during Ravi Bopara's 12-ball duck.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Very, very tempted to change to McCabe, Harvey and Miller.
Personally I'd find it pretty hard to believe that Australia's entire all-time top six hadn't changed one bit since 1963, especially considering the great Australian teams that have played since then.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
Personally I'd find it pretty hard to believe that Australia's entire all-time top six hadn't changed one bit since 1963, especially considering the great Australian teams that have played since then.
Yeah Chappell is just too good to not pick. I have him equal, if not slightly better than Viv. Have to leave McCabe out, as much as I want him in.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
When do we move past the middle order?
Now!

Here are the middle order results:

G. Chappel - 24 votes

Keith Miller - 15

Allan Border - 15

Ricky Ponting - 10

Steve Waugh - 7

Stan McCabe - 5

Neil Harvey - 2