• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian ATG Team- Open Voting

kingkallis

International Coach
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Keith Miller

I just noticed that its not 3,4,5 but its 4,5,6 so removed Punter..

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
I'd go ponting and tugga. If I got my pick of Taylor as skip, I'd opt for someone flashy like walters in the middle order..... with the current openers, I want AB to skip.

punt
tug
grump (c)

uvelocity

International Coach
I know I wrote I'd pick walters, but I probably wouldn't anyway. A lot of people on this site are good students of the history of the game, but I'm not. I don't put that much stead in stats, I'm sure I could look for evidence, but because I'm such an amateur on the older players I can't tell you who's the best, and I cbf learning about it really, which is a prime reason I don't really play these games.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Greg Chappell, Border, SWaugh

Waugh is good with tail-enders if this team needs runs from them (lol) and again i am a big fan of him so he is there in my team..btw all 3 combined have more wickets than Miller..lol..Waugh's bowling ..he had this knack of getting under the skin of the batsman(remember bouncing Viv) and could bowl all kind of deliveries in,out,slow..had the best slower ball as well plus these 3 can fill the 5th bowling option if need be..

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know I wrote I'd pick walters, but I probably wouldn't anyway. A lot of people on this site are good students of the history of the game, but I'm not. I don't put that much stead in stats, I'm sure I could look for evidence, but because I'm such an amateur on the older players I can't tell you who's the best, and I cbf learning about it really, which is a prime reason I don't really play these games.
I do think we sometimes make too much of the old "X player was shyte in Y country" thang on CW, but Walters's record in England really is shocking for a player of his talent.

Bit before my time, but I'd be curious to hear from some of the older heads on here if they have any ideas as to why? Obvious guess would be issues with the moving ball but he might've just missed vegemite on his toast...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I do think we sometimes make too much of the old "X player was shyte in Y country" thang on CW, but Walters's record in England really is shocking for a player of his talent.

Bit before my time, but I'd be curious to hear from some of the older heads on here if they have any ideas as to why? Obvious guess would be issues with the moving ball but he might've just missed vegemite on his toast...
Walters is my father's favourite cricketer of all time, to a point where he'd probably actually vote for him in this thread if he were a member, but even he admits that the failings in England were largely technical. From what he's told me, Walters was much more cavalier than he was a slogger, but he wasn't exactly a fan of playing the ball late, so late movement had him for breakfast.

Second hand info and all but I can vouch for the source.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Walters used to supplement his tour fee by impersonating a slip cradle - he did it so well that sometimes he forgot he was meant to be doing his day job

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Greg Chappell
Neil Harvey
Keith Miller

Greg Chappell was the best batsman after Bradman and a great slipper and reliable bowler to boot. Ponting I rate higher than Harvey, but Ponting is more of a # 3/4 and Harvey interupts the right handers in the line up.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Keith Miller

I always prefer players in my XI who like to play positive cricket, and who are used to going out there with the mindset of winning by taking the match away from the opponents in as effective a manner as possible. Steve Waugh and Allan Border are great, great batsmen, but I prefer Ponting because at his peak (which lasted for 7 solid years), he was unstoppable, and a very fluent and fast scorer.

Miller because he would bring a brilliant spirit into the team as the captain (please no Bradman as captain), a sporting spirit of the genuine nature, where playing the right way is more important than just winning. This is not to say that he didn't mind losing; on the contrary, he would play his heart out with both the bat and the ball. A must have.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Greg Chappell
Steve Waugh
Keith Miller

It was very close between Border and Steve Waugh, but ultimately went with Steve Waugh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Morris and Simpson
JB, can you give us your thoughts on Barnes please? I understand he was a contrary character but I've also heard it said by many who played with or against him that he was top shelf indeed.

I know he didn't play that many tests, but where do you rate him along side the others who people have mentioned in this thread?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
G Chappell
AB
Ponting

Could have picked any two of Miller, McCabe, Walters or Macartney instead of the latter two, but my man love for AB was just too much, and Ponting had the most ridiculous highs as a batsman - of those I've seen, only Lara was higher. Insane run for 4-5 years or so there. And just crunched it at a mad clip too.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ricky Ponting
Greg Chappell
Keith Miller

If I was voting just on personal love then AB and McCabe would replace Punter and GSC, but I've tried to be objective.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm surprised that picking Miller seems to be going a bit out of fashion. I got the impression he was a staple pick.