• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian ATG Team- Open Voting

watson

Banned
Pretty sure some bowlers confidence and average would have been dented bowling to the likes of Bradman, Morris etc. Look at some of the players first class records. Its no surprise people don't rate them any more. I refuse to believe that Morris 206 wasn't a superb knock.
I'm sure that it was a superb knock. Any double century is superb by definition because of the endurance it requires. However, we assess ATGs in relative terms.

Is 206 made during the 4th Test (1951) when Australia is already leading 3 to blot, carry the same value as 130 made during the second Test at Lords (1961) with the first Test drawn?

Especially as those 130 runs were made against Trueman and Statham trying to knock Lawry's head-off, and McDonald + Simpson back in the pavillion with the score at 6 runs. I can't imagine that Morris was under the same kind of pressure.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I think inclusion of Morris is lot to do with the fact that not only did he score heavily but by the manner he used to impose domination and his elegant playing style adds to the charm as well

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Votes so far:

Partnerships so far:

Simpson + Lawry (1)
Simpson + Morris (4)
Simpson + Trumper (2)
Trumper + Taylor (1)
Trumper + Ponsford (1)
Lawry + Morris (1)
Morris + Trumper (6)
Barnes + Trumper (1)
Trumper + Hayden (2)
Trumper + Bradman (1)
Ponsford + Hayden (1)
Ponsford + Simpson (1)
Hayden + Taylor (1)
Simpson + Taylor (1)
Barnes + Morris (1)

Individuals so far:

Simpson (9)
Lawry (2)
Morris (12)
Trumper (13)
Taylor (3)
Ponsford (3)
Barnes (2)
Hayden (4)
Bradman (1)

Last edited:

watson

Banned
These numbers are conclusive thus far - Morris and Trumper to open.

A triumph of Artistry over Pragmatism. Poetry over Utility.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Votes so far:

Partnerships so far:

Simpson + Lawry (1)
Simpson + Morris (4)
Simpson + Trumper (2)
Trumper + Taylor (1)
Trumper + Ponsford (1)
Lawry + Morris (1)
Morris + Trumper (6)
Barnes + Trumper (1)
Trumper + Hayden (2)
Trumper + Bradman (1)
Ponsford + Hayden (1)
Ponsford + Simpson (1)
Hayden + Taylor (1)
Simpson + Taylor (1)
Barnes + Morris (1)

Individuals so far:

Simpson (9)
Lawry (2)
Morris (12)
Trumper (13)
Taylor (3)
Ponsford (3)
Barnes (2)
Hayden (4)
Bradman (1)
Thanks heaps Andy, appreciate you doing that.

These numbers are conclusive thus far - Morris and Trumper to open.

A triumph of Artistry over Pragmatism.
Well said. I'll put the middle order options up. I'm guessing Braddles'll be at #3? :)

Red

Team so far

1. Victor Trumper
2. Arthur Morris
3. Don Bradman

Middle order options (4-6)

Clem Hill
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Allan Border
Neil Harvey
Stan McCabe
Doug Walter
Bill Ponsford
Steve Waugh
Charlie Macartney
Michael Clarke
Mike Hussey
Lindsay Hassett
Keith Miller
Warwick Armstrong
Monty Noble

Select THREE.

Last edited:

Red

Legitimately surprised at all the Morris love. Middle order options need more Clem Hill though.
Added. Thought I'd put him in. He was on my mind because he's become one of Jager's love children.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Chappell (G)
Ponting
Border

For me the real debate is whether a fifth "proper" bowler is needed (Miller in all likelihood) or if a better batsman should be included.

In the end I thought the younger Chappell's mediums and Captain Grumpy's SLAs were decent enough 5th & 6th bowler options in light of who I imagine will fill the bowling positions.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Seems a shame that Boon and M.Waugh aren't included even if they are no chance.

The other day I made my teams and had:
4. Greg Chappell
5. Allan Border
6. Keith Miller

Australia have the best batsman and best keeper batsman, so I don't mind sacrificing a few runs due to Miller to ensure Australia has the best 5 man bowling attack in the world.

adub

International Captain
Alright, I'll be the odd man out and plump for Waugh over Miller. Just because he would want it more. Miller liked to win, Tugga hated to lose.

Agree Chappell 4, and Border 5. Very very hard to argue against that.

All three I think give plenty of cover for the 5 bowling option.

I had a book by Chappell where he named the best team he'd played with/against. He selected Walters as 12th man reckoning Dougie would be happy with that as it would give him more time to play cards. I reckon Miller would equally be as happy at 12th man. It's just a game after all.