• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast bowling is about imposing yourself on the batsman

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Crap. Lakshmipati Balaji is the authority on fast bowling. Has anyone interviewed him yet?

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Completely agree. You should go into the game targeting the best batsmen in the other team and make it your job to get them out.

Of course, if they smash you for 6 consecutive fours in your first over then you might have to revise your game plan a bit. Waqar might have found it easier to intimidate at 90mph+.

smash84

The Tiger King
haha....tbf Waqar himself was fairly expensive by the standards of his days......he did get a fair few spankings IIRC

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Waqar was actually at my school long ago for a coaching clinic. Deadset, I was fifteen and still taller than him. When I asked him about how to bowl at the tail, he said 'Bowl at their bodies until they want you to get them out.' Legend.

Dean Jones was also there, and a massive **** to boot. Still edit his Wikipedia page from time to time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
haha....tbf Waqar himself was fairly expensive by the standards of his days......he did get a fair few spankings IIRC
I make no pretence at objectivity where the great man is concerned, but I would guess that a pretty significant proportion of the runs he conceded came from edges and Chinese cuts. When one bowls at his pace the nicks and miss-hits tend to rather fly. I can't recall too many occasions when I came away with the impression he'd been properly collared.

Had some epic battles with Gooch, Stewart & Robin Smith up here on the 1992 tour. All strong on the cut and pull and not afraid to take on fast bowling; Waqar in his turn wasn't afraid to attack the stumps (and with his yorker, why wouldn't you?) and it made for some of the most compelling test cricket I ever saw.

smash84

The Tiger King
I make no pretence at objectivity where the great man is concerned, but I would guess that a pretty significant proportion of the runs he conceded came from edges and Chinese cuts. When one bowls at his pace the nicks and miss-hits tend to rather fly. I can't recall too many occasions when I came away with the impression he'd been properly collared.

There would be some full tosses and half volleys too which could be dispatched anywhere.

The full length made it easier to hit and when Waqar didn't hit, the batsman did

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Waqar was actually at my school long ago for a coaching clinic. Deadset, I was fifteen and still taller than him. When I asked him about how to bowl at the tail, he said 'Bowl at their bodies until they want you to get them out.' Legend.

Dean Jones was also there, and a massive **** to boot. Still edit his Wikipedia page from time to time.
I saw Waqar walk into what I assume was his house at Castle Hill in Sydney a couple of times a few years ago. Not sure if he still lives there now though.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Great run-up ..great bowler..one who took the pitch out of the equation with his ability to be bowl right near the toe..this might have made him tad expensive but also fetched him lots of wickets..remember him getting 5-6 5 wicket hauls in ODIs (90-91) which is unheard of..

Last edited:
you gotta bowl to them like courtney walsh and curtly ambrose used to...that was the era of the fast bowlers from pakistan to australia to the west indies

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Get them out.

Although he was the line bowler par excellence, even Pidge wasn't above digging the odd one in short when the occasion warranted it.

Still recall that one that busted Pietersen's ribs in the CB series after the 06/07 Ashes when KP was starting to take a few liberties by coming down the track to the great man.

Spooony

Banned
Steve Waugh was the toughest nut I ever seen. He struggled against the short stuff early in his carreer as well as middle stages and I saw Allan Donald and co ruff him up with body hits. He stuck it out and made some gritty innings

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How do you impose yourself? Bowl him against the head as fast as you can.....
It's not just about bowling short...it's also about your attitude and, of course, having the ability to cause the batsman problems and keep the pressure on them.