Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast bowling is about imposing yourself on the batsman

Cricket Spectator

Crap. Lakshmipati Balaji is the authority on fast bowling. Has anyone interviewed him yet?
    Last edited by ankitj; 17-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Banned
    haha.....indeed awta

but it was an awesome interview

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Completely agree. You should go into the game targeting the best batsmen in the other team and make it your job to get them out.

Of course, if they smash you for 6 consecutive fours in your first over then you might have to revise your game plan a bit. Waqar might have found it easier to intimidate at 90mph+.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Banned
    haha....tbf Waqar himself was fairly expensive by the standards of his days......he did get a fair few spankings IIRC

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Waqar was actually at my school long ago for a coaching clinic. Deadset, I was fifteen and still taller than him. When I asked him about how to bowl at the tail, he said 'Bowl at their bodies until they want you to get them out.' Legend.

Dean Jones was also there, and a massive **** to boot. Still edit his Wikipedia page from time to time.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    haha....tbf Waqar himself was fairly expensive by the standards of his days......he did get a fair few spankings IIRC
    I make no pretence at objectivity where the great man is concerned, but I would guess that a pretty significant proportion of the runs he conceded came from edges and Chinese cuts. When one bowls at his pace the nicks and miss-hits tend to rather fly. I can't recall too many occasions when I came away with the impression he'd been properly collared.

Had some epic battles with Gooch, Stewart & Robin Smith up here on the 1992 tour. All strong on the cut and pull and not afraid to take on fast bowling; Waqar in his turn wasn't afraid to attack the stumps (and with his yorker, why wouldn't you?) and it made for some of the most compelling test cricket I ever saw.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    , he said 'Bowl at their bodies until they want you to get them out.' Legend.

gun quote indeed

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I make no pretence at objectivity where the great man is concerned, but I would guess that a pretty significant proportion of the runs he conceded came from edges and Chinese cuts. When one bowls at his pace the nicks and miss-hits tend to rather fly. I can't recall too many occasions when I came away with the impression he'd been properly collared.

There would be some full tosses and half volleys too which could be dispatched anywhere.

The full length made it easier to hit and when Waqar didn't hit, the batsman did

Dean Jones was also there, and a massive **** to boot. Still edit his Wikipedia page from time to time.
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Waqar was actually at my school long ago for a coaching clinic. Deadset, I was fifteen and still taller than him. When I asked him about how to bowl at the tail, he said 'Bowl at their bodies until they want you to get them out.' Legend.

I saw Waqar walk into what I assume was his house at Castle Hill in Sydney a couple of times a few years ago. Not sure if he still lives there now though.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 18-10-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

U19 Debutant
    Great run-up ..great bowler..one who took the pitch out of the equation with his ability to be bowl right near the toe..this might have made him tad expensive but also fetched him lots of wickets..remember him getting 5-6 5 wicket hauls in ODIs (90-91) which is unheard of..
    Last edited by doesitmatter; 18-10-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Banned
    How do you impose yourself? Bowl him against the head as fast as you can.....

Banned
    you gotta bowl to them like courtney walsh and curtly ambrose used to...that was the era of the fast bowlers from pakistan to australia to the west indies

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information