• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knotty

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Knotty

The game moves on, and wicketkeepers come and go. Alan Knott last played for England more than thirty years ago but, for Martin, he is still the best there has been.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My friend's dad reckoned he clean bowled him in an exhibition game. Did an Ashley giles ball of the century style delivery to him.

I actually refused to believe the story when told to me over a few beers - so the fellow rummaged through his scrap book and produced a newspaper clipping with the score card.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
When I started watching cricket Knott was the England keeper, and then Taylor. For years I expected every catch and stumping to be taken and every throw to be handled smoothly. A bye was a shock.

It was only when I saw other keepers, for England and other Countries, that I realised these 2 were the very zenith of the craft (I found similar with regard to heavyweight boxing). Older people (some much, much older) that I watched with confirmed that there were none better in their memory.

They were both sublime in ther work, I always feel that Taylor had a very, very slight edge as a keeper but Knott was, of course, a far better batsman.

Knott would be my chioce of keeper for an all time World XI

TNT

Banned
I remember watching Knott and he was a good keeper, but its amazing how the players I watched in the 70's and 80's have improved over time.

TNT

Banned
Interesting when you look at the statistics of keepers.

Name.......... tests...... Ct... St..... Dismissals.... ave dismissals/Test
M Boucher.... 139...... 499... 22........ 521.................. 3.75
A Gilchrist...... 96...... 379... 37........ 416.................. 4.33
I Healy .........119....... 366... 29....... 395................... 3.32
R Marsh......... 96....... 343.. 12........ 355.................. 3.70
A Knott.......... 95....... 250... 19....... 269................... 2.83

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dismissals/test isn't a very useful statistic, doesn't really say much other than how good the attack is.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Dismissals/test isn't a very useful statistic, doesn't really say much other than how good the attack is.
Indeed.

Byes per inning may be the best stat I can think of if you can rustle it up.

Even then if you have more crappy bowlers bowling to you like Mitchell Johnson on a bad day then you will probably have bad stats.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Indeed.

Byes per inning may be the best stat I can think of if you can rustle it up.

Even then if you have more crappy bowlers bowling to you like Mitchell Johnson on a bad day then you will probably have bad stats.
You'd tend to concede more byes if you attack took 150 overs to take ten wickets than if they took 50 overs as well. In terms of currently available statistics I think you'd have to go by something like byes per 100 overs, but even that is very flawed for the reason you just gave. Short of someone keeping track of dropped catches and missed stumpings so we could work out percentages, wicket keeping in one area of the game we really have to just rely on our eye for.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I remember watching Knott and he was a good keeper, but its amazing how the players I watched in the 70's and 80's have improved over time.
Actually I would say there are quite a few players that I don't consider nearly as good now as I did in the 70s.

Keith Fletcher, Denis Amiss and Rod Marsh to name just three.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Actually I would say there are quite a few players that I don't consider nearly as good now as I in the 70s.

Keith Fletcher, Denis Amiss and Rod Marsh to name just three.
You are missing a word in your first sentence and I would like to know what you have to say.