• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket great Martin Crowe diagnosed with cancer

Mike5181

International Captain

One of New Zealand's best known cricketers, Martin Crowe, has been diagnosed with lymphoma.

The former New Zealand captain was diagnosed with the cancer this week, a statement issued by his manager Louise Henderson said.

"Understandably the family have a number of issues to confront over the next couple of weeks, the diagnosis is very new, the family is still in shock and obviously dealing with the understanding that life as they know it for the unforeseeable future is different,'' she said.

Henderson is also manager to Crowe's wife, former Miss Universe Lorraine Downes.

The family requested privacy as they came to terms with the situation, Henderson said.

Crowe, a former New Zealand captain who scored 5444 runs from 77 tests, turned 50 last month.

His test career spanned from 1982 to 1995 in which he averaged 45.36 and established himself as one of the country’s best batsmen.

He was also the inspirational leader behind New Zealand’s memorable run to the World Cup semifinals on home soil in 1992.

Crowe attempted a comeback at age 49 last year but, in his first premier match for Auckland club Cornwall, was forced to retire hurt and conceded his body wasn’t up to the rigours of the sport.

Martin Crowe Diagnosed With Cancer | Stuff.co.nz

watson

Banned
There not many types of lymphomas that are aggressive and have a poor prognosis. Most can be successfully treated if caught early. Let's hope that Martin has a more benign version of the disease.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Terrible news. Shows how quick life can change, less than one year ago he was attempting a cricket comeback.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The undoubted #1 hero of my childhood (comfortably beating out Wolverine).

Good luck Martin, the thoughts of a nation are with you.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jesus. Let's hope he kicks its arse. 50 seriously far too young to be checking out.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Bad news, but fortunately Lymphona is one of the good cancers to get, provided you catch it early. My cousin had it and is now fully recovered.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's a bit of a slap in the face when you have to bat against the likes of Holding, Marshall and Garner to earn a living and then you get this - still he dealt with the West Indies with some style so I'm confident he'll see this upstart off without too much trouble

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
:(

Awful news, one of my favourite players as a kid. He's a stubborn bastard and tough as nails though, so here's hoping he gets through it ok.