• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Warner's not that good technically though. He's not a slogger, but he's far from compact.
TBF to PEWS he just said he's better technically than Hughes or Khawaja. That's a pretty low bar, IHMO.

Watched the highlights earlier; not sure if Quiney's innings was the ballsiest or the twattiest I've seen from a debutant. Might well be both, I suppose. Comes with the disclaimer that it's the first time I've seen the boy and that might just be his (only) MO.

Kleinveldt just looks, eeuuww, not good. Not a test seamer's arsehole. Normally one can see something in every bowler that makes their selection understanble but he just looks awful. No pace, no control, no rhythm.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Yep I wasn't too happy with his selection, remember him playing T20s and pretty much bowled how you'd expect a batting allrounder to. Doesn't really do much but got enough pace and accuracy to be considered more than a part-timer by test standards.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think it's fair to judge him entirely on the three overs he bowled today, he wouldn't have been successful at FC level bowling pies like that. Have no doubt he'll put in a better performance tomorrow.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Oh certainly, but he always appeared to me as one of those guys that will do well at domestic level but didn't have the artillery to make the step up.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Even if he conceeded only 10 runs from his three overs - the overall group opinion of Kleinveldt would stay the same.

Looks overweight, has a bowling action that appears prone to inconsistency and doesn't have a redeeming feature that suggests anything more than first class journeymen.

Will probably take the remaining seven wickets.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even if he conceeded only 10 runs from his three overs - the overall group opinion of Kleinveldt would stay the same.

Looks overweight, has a bowling action that appears prone to inconsistency and doesn't have a redeeming feature that suggests anything more than first class journeymen.

Will probably take the remaining seven wickets.
I know I've only seen him in t20, so this is a terrible call, but Chris Morris looked a better prospect.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kleinveldt just looks, eeuuww, not good. Not a test seamer's arsehole. Normally one can see something in every bowler that makes their selection understanble but he just looks awful. No pace, no control, no rhythm.
Wtf? Called Graeme Smith a fatty for every test of his career but not one word about Kleinveldt being a fat ****?

Damn you Brumby, leaving me disappointed here.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wtf? Called Graeme Smith a fatty for every test of his career but not one word about Kleinveldt being a fat ****?

Damn you Brumby, leaving me disappointed here.
O ye of little faith:

Just to echo what others have said about Kleinveldt: not a test bowler. Jerky action and it's never going to generate much more pace than he gets now. Looks to use the same dietician as Philander too.

Ruckus

International Captain
Top Cat to crack the ****s.
Na just saw highlights, he shouldn't have got out to that imo. He basically looked like he changed his mind right at the last moment, despite it being on a line that could have easily been left. Gotta stop making excuses for Ponting just because of the class player he is. In the later part of his career he has consistently been getting out to decent, but by no means amazing, deliveries. People can go on about the whole Chappell line of "he has just been unlucky, and has often been on the receiving end of very good balls early on", but that's pretty bull**** imo. You're not unlucky over such a long period, and in any case everyone is subject to good balls early on, but that's what having good judgement about what to play at and what to leave is all about. Someone like Amla is an absolute master of it atm. Ponting has probably improved from where he was at a year or two ago, but I think that dismissal yesterday was more of a remnant from his past rather than particularly good bowling.

Burgey

Everyone, we do know it's only one innings don't we? I mean, of all the blokes in the top six, Ponting's FC form coming in was the least of our worries, surely.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well your comparing Ponting to the best bat in the world and Amla is pretty unique in the modern game in that his strike rate doesn't bother him whatsoever. Everybody knows that Ponting goes searching for bat on ball so isn't going to be the outswinger that swings from leg to off that'll get him to nick off.

Ruckus

International Captain
Everyone, we do know it's only one innings don't we? I mean, of all the blokes in the top six, Ponting's FC form coming in was the least of our worries, surely.
yeah, sorry don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think it means he will fail over the entire series or he is back to the low standards of where he was at a year or two ago. I was just talking about the dismissal in itself and the defense that it was brilliant bowling or something. I'm actually not sure about how Ponting's form will play out - he could dominate for the rest of the series, or absolute bomb out, and either outcome wouldn't particularly surprise me.

Burgey

yeah, sorry don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think it means he will fail over the entire series or he is back to the low standards of where he was at a year or two ago. I was just talking about the dismissal in itself and the defense that it was brilliant bowling or something. I'm actually not sure about how Ponting's form will play out - he could dominate for the rest of the series, or absolute bomb out, and either outcome wouldn't particularly surprise me.
Yeah fair enough. It did at first blush look a very Ashes 2010 dismissal. But his form had been poor for a while before then.

I still think he's the most important player in the Australian batting line up. I'm more concerned about Warner atm than I am Ponting. Just caught on the crease a lot of late it seems. Hope he comes good. He's terrific to watch when he gets going.

Not sure about the left handed Hilditch. I mean, what can you tell after one dig? But I'd just like to see a few blokes leave the ****ing ball when it's above stump height on or about off peg. I mean, they tend to teach that at a young age, don't they?

Last edited: