• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

kingkallis

International Coach
And he is a very good lad. He was all smiles when I told him that we 'used' to call him Mr.Cricket ;)

So I hope he retires @ his own at the right time.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
also I brought some cricket australia sports ears things with me I paid some ludicrous price for a couple of years ago, that are supposed to tune into channel 9 & the abc comms, don't work, they must have changed the channel. ****s.
Haha, I think I saw the girls wandering around with them this morning at the ground. Thought $20 was a bargain to be able to listen to the rain in stereo.

Top day's cricket today though...at least I got 10 minutes in on the playstation in the Commonwealth Bank tent before going inside. Ended up at the Storey Bridge Hotel eating a wonderful steak burger and having a few beers whilst looking at the lovely barmaids. By 1 we were praying the rain continued.

aussie tragic

International Captain
How long do you think Ponting and Hussey can go on for? Another year maybe?
I think Hussey may be out this year as I believe the current "Dropping Order" for Australian batsmen could be:

1. Quiney (Last in, first out)
2. Cowan (not contracted, < 30 average)
3. Hussey (aged 37 and only averages 30 over last 5 Tests)
4. Warner
5. Ponting
6. Clarke

Unfortunately for Hussey, given his age, I think failures over 2 tests will see him jump over Cowan and Quiney if they do well....plus Watto has to come back and Khawaja is knocking on the door so 2 of the 3 could go soon.

Of course Hussey could hit a hundred tomorrow and be safe for the summer.....

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was just reading this article: Australia v South Africa, 1st Test, Brisbane, 1st day : Bowlers forget the McDermott mantra | Cricket Features | Australia v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo. On very flat pitches, like the one yesterday, where the bowlers are basically not getting any movement off the pitch or through the air, is it actually a good tactic to continue to try to pitch the ball up? If your not getting any swing isn't that basically just allowing the batsmen to drive the ball, knowing it's gonna be coming straight onto the bat?
Well, you could try to use the crease a little too. I think short of a length (which is where they would've been trying to pitch it) is better than short, regardless of the situation. Pitch it up a bit further when it's doing something.

This whole 'McDermott Mantra' thing is overblown though. He got them doing good things and deserves credit, but as I said yesterday, I fail to believe professional players don't know they should be trying to hit the top of off most of the time.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Hussey will be safe for the home summer unless a number of domestic batsmen start scoring really heavily. Hussey's main concern will be an Ashes failure in England. That said given that he was our best batsmen last home Ashes series I'd bet he'll be kept on until the next home Ashes series anyway.

Sri Lanka are also touring here soon and we all know how well he did against them last time.

Given that so few batsmen are knocking on the door I'd say he's quite safe. Even with this century I don't think Khawaja is favoured by the selectors and Quiney will be given a few games to settle himself(or fail miserably) before being pushed aside.

uvelocity

International Coach
3.30 pm Brydon Coverdale on Twitter: "Unless I'm mistaken it's nearly 14 years since a full day of Test cricket has been washed out in Australia. Boxing Day '98. May happen today," and "And the last time a whole day of Test cricket was washed out at the Gabba was in 1983."

who needs to sort out their climate pommy ****s?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Neil McKenzie apparently being talked about as a replacement for Duminy. Not sure that can work what with Neil having a Kolpak deal. Ashwell Prince wouldn’t be a bad selection but Pak tour early next year and Prince would be a sitting duck to their offies. McKenzie also has in his favour being a top player of spin.

Ingram, Ontong and Elgar don't cut it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Neil McKenzie apparently being talked about as a replacement for Duminy. Not sure that can work what with Neil having a Kolpak deal. Ashwell Prince wouldn’t be a bad selection but Pak tour early next year and Prince would be a sitting duck to their offies. McKenzie also has in his favour being a top player of spin.

Ingram, Ontong and Elgar don't cut it.
Albie Morkel obviously. Not enough seam options in the current side; need at least six.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Albie Morkel obviously. Not enough seam options in the current side; need at least six.
Seriously though I still think he's one of the best batsmen available, especially in the role Duminy gets used. His ability to build a proper innings in a First Class environment is very under-rated. McKenzie and Prince do seem like better options but I'd pick Albie before Ingram, Ontong or Behardien.