• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hussey's been shocking against Steyn/Morkel, hasn't he?
has passed 50 only once since 08. each have got him 5 times. a few cases of getting to 20-40 and getting out though, which I wouldn't usually link to hussey. and plus because usually he just looks horrible against them.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hussey has a very poor record against the South African attack so I wouldn't bank on him too much this series. Ponting, Clarke and Wade could be the mainstay of our batting lineup this series with odd contributions from the rest.

I do think Cowan is a good choice to have against Philander though. More likely to leave those deliveries that have been getting a lot of left handers out over the past year. Warner could really be in trouble this series although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Must admit I hadn't noticed Hussey's relatively poor record against South Africa previously. I'm wondering if he's faced SA when out of form, or if its the top bowling attack that has made him out of form - guessing its the latter actually.

Since 2008 Hussey has scored 277 runs at 18.47 against SA, so good call Justo.

EDIT - Spikey you're too quick mate.

Spikey

i'm still pretty pissed at hussey for the shot he played first ball after lunch @ newlands. he's lucky haddin stole the anger from most of us.

Spark

Global Moderator
i'm still pretty pissed at hussey for the shot he played first ball after lunch @ newlands. he's lucky haddin stole the anger from most of us.
He provided quite a number of appalling bad shots in that "series" IIRC.

Spikey

next time someone calls hussey an ATG I'll throw that stat against them. it's south australia ffs

Justo

U19 Debutant
Must admit I hadn't noticed Hussey's relatively poor record against South Africa previously. I'm wondering if he's faced SA when out of form, or if its the top bowling attack that has made him out of form - guessing its the latter actually.

Since 2008 Hussey has scored 277 runs at 18.47 against SA, so good call Justo.

EDIT - Spikey you're too quick mate.
Personally I think Hussey struggles against bowlers who extract a bit of extra bounce(surprising since he comes from WA). He also doesn't have great stats against NZ and I think Martin has got him a few times.

It could also be that he just struggles against genuine pace bowlers(Roach got him 3 times during the WI series).

Spark

Global Moderator
I think it's just out-and-out quality pace which does him in, really. Has struggled every time he's come up against it in the last four years or so (with one blatant exception)

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Its an anomaly. Quality player. I'd back him against any high class bowling attack. Those stats are bad, but seeing how nobody really picked it up before (even in this stats crazed era) is odd. He has had some shockers against SA, really bad umpiring decisions, but also some quality innings, like the 4th innings in 2006 at Joburg.

Spark

Global Moderator
Its an anomaly. Quality player. I'd back him against any high class bowling attack. Those stats are bad, but seeing how nobody really picked it up before (even in this stats crazed era) is odd. He has had some shockers against SA, really bad umpiring decisions, but also some quality innings, like the 4th innings in 2006 at Joburg.
That's true but he has looked genuinely awful against Steyn and Morkel in particular.

Wade in, Haddin out. That's that then. Probably the right call, but hard not to feel for the guy - he's had a shocking year.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
I think Starc is a little like Johnson myself in the sense that his ability with the white ball is somwhat being confused with his ability with the red ball. No doubt a stack of potential, but I'd like to see him bank some more FC performances rather than travelling around with the Test squad all summer. He never seems to make the red ball talk anywhere near as much.