• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yup, running to cross still counts, IMO.
Definitely.

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I still think once the ball is caught it will become a dead ball. Once the batsmen sees the fielder catch it, he'll stop trying to make his ground.
If that is the case, the decision should have been no-ball and Kallis back on strike, not no-ball and Kallis getting off strike and scoring a run.

I know its not natural to keep running to make ground when you've been caught, but with decisions being reviewed, batsman should in football speak, play to the whistle.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Ahh, I didn't realise Kallis got a run for it and was off strike. I'm inclined to agree with you because of that.

But, unlike in football, their isn't a "whistle" when you're caught at midd off. You just assume you're out unless told otherwise. It might be something they could allow in the future, but they'd have to drill it in to the batsmen to continue incase they're not out. Until then, I think it would only cause problems.

uvelocity

International Coach
gee I made a couple of crap posts. was so so drunk & angry though

raining here all morning, not heavily but will be one of those annoying on again off again days imo

uvelocity

International Coach
also I brought some cricket australia sports ears things with me I paid some ludicrous price for a couple of years ago, that are supposed to tune into channel 9 & the abc comms, don't work, they must have changed the channel. ****s.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Gabba ground looking pretty soaked with big puddles everywhere :(

There goes my saturday plan of laying on the couch all day....maybe they'll play replays and my wife won't know the difference ;)

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gabba ground looking pretty soaked with big puddles everywhere :(

There goes my saturday plan of laying on the couch all day....maybe they'll play replays and my wife won't know the difference ;)
Nah, they'll just settle for old movies IMO.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Really wish they'd play old cricket footage instead of F-Troop.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Really wish they'd play old cricket footage instead of F-Troop.
tell me about it, x 10000. Sick of this garbage, they hardly ever show any old gold footage unless its looking like a shortish break, whenever its a long rain delay they always go straight to silly old shows. I recall so many glorious rain days when they would show lots of old series, in 2001 when NZ toured the 2nd test was virtually a washout, they showed full days of test series highlights of old NZ tours, absolute gold.

Top_Cat

Am not upset about the cricket being delayed, getting to watch the SA Christmas Pageant which none of you ****s can see. Sucks to be yoooo.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think they bowled badly yesterday, maybe not as well as last year but then SA are a much better team than India were last year. And I still don't know why professional cricketers need someone to tell them not to bowl ****. The average club cricketer can work that out.

Am off to the game myself today. Don't know if we'll get much play...would like to see Kallis and Amla in action.
Yeah yesterday was very similar to when South Africa toured here this year, not so much the first match when England were fairly awful but the second two tests. The bowling was reasonable, the batting good and crucially some missed chances which these batsmen don't forgive.

Bloody rain, am going to have to listen to Dominic Cork now.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Might go and make a ton and roll the arm over. Weather in Western Vic is perfect!

Spikey

Am not upset about the cricket being delayed, getting to watch the SA Christmas Pageant which none of you ****s can see. Sucks to be yoooo.
i think one of the most depressing mornings i've ever experienced was when i woke up early, couldn't get back to bed, didn't have any internet, and this was the best thing on tv

Ruckus

International Captain
Was just reading this article: Australia v South Africa, 1st Test, Brisbane, 1st day : Bowlers forget the McDermott mantra | Cricket Features | Australia v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo. On very flat pitches, like the one yesterday, where the bowlers are basically not getting any movement off the pitch or through the air, is it actually a good tactic to continue to try to pitch the ball up? If your not getting any swing isn't that basically just allowing the batsmen to drive the ball, knowing it's gonna be coming straight onto the bat?

Top_Cat

i think one of the most depressing mornings i've ever experienced was when i woke up early, couldn't get back to bed, didn't have any internet, and this was the best thing on tv
You, of course, mean the most uplifting, awesome, special, incredible and life-affirming mornings you've ever experienced.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Having just seen highlights of this morning's biblical storm, I get the feeling it might not matter if it misses or not...
looking the weather map again, the rain should be clear of the Gabba in about an hour....how good is the gabba at mopping up all the puddles?

I'm prediciting (i.e. hoping for) a 1:30 start?

uvelocity

International Coach
Was just reading this article: Australia v South Africa, 1st Test, Brisbane, 1st day : Bowlers forget the McDermott mantra | Cricket Features | Australia v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo. On very flat pitches, like the one yesterday, where the bowlers are basically not getting any movement off the pitch or through the air, is it actually a good tactic to continue to try to pitch the ball up? If your not getting any swing isn't that basically just allowing the batsmen to drive the ball, knowing it's gonna be coming straight onto the bat?
bowling short takes a number of dismissal modes out of the equation, so even if the pitch is doing nothing, and it is purely batsman error, the error to the full ball has a stronger chance of resulting in a wicket than to a short.