• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah he has. If anyone's underdone it's probably Hilf. Only one FC match and the rest t20 junk. He was def down on pace too.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neither was Hilf, tbh. Bowled well in the Shield game in Bellerive on a great pitch for pace. Can't we just accept that the Saffers were too good against solid bowling today? I mean, they didn't get to 300 in the day, not as if they were allowed to just run away with the game. The Aussies were good, just that the Saffers were really good.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
With Australia's top 3, I think SA need only about a hundred more to win this game anyway. I will renew my cable subscription on the way home tonight, catch some cricket over the weekend :)

Spark

Global Moderator
Neither was Hilf, tbh. Bowled well in the Shield game in Bellerive on a great pitch for pace. Can't we just accept that the Saffers were too good against solid bowling today? I mean, they didn't get to 300 in the day, not as if they were allowed to just run away with the game. The Aussies were good, just that the Saffers were really good.
Yeah it's hard to feel too disappointed with this. They weren't at their absolute peak but between a few self-inflicted injuries and the fact that Amla/Kallis are just in "unfair" mode atm, it's hard to get too worked up about today.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
I'd agree that more of the result today was to do with excellent batting rather than poor bowling. These are players of the highest class at the top of their game, so it's really not very surprising, especially given the nature of the pitch. That being said though, I wouldn't go so far as to say the bowling was good. I'd say it was a passable performance, with definite areas of note that could have been better (and have been better in the past). The main problem was the use of the new ball - felt like the bowlers were too caught up on preconceived tactics and failed to find the right length early enough. So it was wasted in a way. Also, Siddle's and Hilf's pace down, and generally not enough intensity after the early overs. Hilf's action looked like it had started to slip back into old habits as well, so he clearly needs to work on that. Thought Patto and Lyon generally did a good job though, and can't really ask for more there given the pitch.

Top_Cat

Honestly, the Saffers batting well is something of a bonus so I'm not that invested in getting a handle on who bowled what, why and where because even if they collapse hard for < 400, it's irrelevant. When they get the ball in hand, that's where they'll show up where the real differences between the two sides lie.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Would it be fair to say the Aussies didn't bowl the same as last year when they had so much success? Lots of balls short of a length when it was balls that were pitched up that were doing the business last year. Loss of McDermott a bigger factor than some realised maybe?

uvelocity

International Coach
caveat:drunk

test cricket is all about making the most of patience, waiting for the time to mount your attack,

saffers are the weakest ****s in cricket. biggest and best batting lineup in world cricket is 2/slow as a wet week

our challenge is to be equally dour. can we manage? hope not.

such a poor advertisment for cricket in general. not sure of the exact figures but lyon on the first day plus part timers18 odd overs for a third of their runs, pathetic. weak as piss.want to kill something

Top_Cat

Would it be fair to say the Aussies didn't bowl the same as last year when they had so much success? Lots of balls short of a length when it was balls that were pitched up that were doing the business last year. Loss of McDermott a bigger factor than some realised maybe?
Yeah but hang on a bit, we're talking professional Test bowlers here. Are we really to assume that once McDermott finished (:naughty:), they just fell in a heap (:naughty:) and forgot how to bowl in good areas?

Spikey

I mean, they basically went at the same RR as Cook and Trott...

I dunno know, Clarkeh played it defensive (deep point, no gaps in the covers and down the ground), it's not really a surprise there were some dour moments

flibbertyjibber

Yeah but hang on a bit, we're talking professional Test bowlers here. Are we really to assume that once McDermott finished (:naughty:), they just fell in a heap (:naughty:) and forgot how to bowl in good areas?
I don't know, was just asking you guys who saw more of the play than I did. What I saw was pretty ordinary from the Aussie attack bar Pattinson. Could just be the flattest of flat wickets though, be interesting to see how Steyn and co go.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I mean, they basically went at the same RR as Cook and Trott...

I dunno know, Clarkeh played it defensive (deep point, no gaps in the covers and down the ground), it's not really a surprise there were some dour moments
I've been meaning to ask for a while, are you saying 'don't know' or 'dont know now' ??

SA were good today but it could have been so different. Reckon other batsman with a different technique may have been lbw when Amla narrowly survived on 0. But yeah SA deserve to be in the box seat, anyone know how Duminy is?

benchmark00

I've been meaning to ask for a while, are you saying 'don't know' or 'dont know now' ??

SA were good today but it could have been so different. Reckon other batsman with a different technique may have been lbw when Amla narrowly survived on 0. But yeah SA deserve to be in the box seat, anyone know how Duminy is?
No official word that I can see, but Graeme Smith says that 'he feels for him' whatever that means.