• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mind you that does not mean it was a good decision the guy averaged mid 40's during a time when the fast bowling standards were pretty good.Also the likes of Langer and Martyn showed they were not ready for the step up for another 5 years and whether early tastes to test cricket helped them develop as test cricketers is also up for debate.
Pretty sure I bagged Martyn mercilessly at training the night Deano was dropped. Just seemed so unjust at the time; he'd dominated in SL but Melbourne had a ridiculous amount of rain at that time (yes, even for Victoria) and, if it didn't totally wash out the first few rounds of the district comp, it heavily affected it. I think Jones didn't end up getting a bat at all in those first few rounds and that 'lack of recent form' put the final nail in his coffin but did seem a convenient excuse to sack him.

Still a poor decision I reckon but I do recognise the selectors wanted to enact a no dickheads policy in the team, the sole goal to beat the WI. Almost pulled it off too but Ambrose was just too good in Adelaide and Perth after hitting his stride in the ODers.

EDIT: I do think it's very harsh to say Langer wasn't ready for Tests, though. He'd belted a great ton in the Shield final the year before and absorbed the pressure in his first Test in Adelaide, certainly the most pressurised Test I've seen. He was smashed by the bowlers and hung around while far more experienced heads lost theirs and is, really, a good example of why Quiney's been picked to bat 3; debut or not, if a guy is the right fit for a position in the batting like 3, you don't shuffle him down because he's inexperienced.

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Why do you people even let Langer have things to write leakable stuff on?

I reckon Ponting'll do well in the series if Wattos not there to run him out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Quiney scored 68 runs in this match I reckon we'd all take that tbh.
Just had a look on some betting markets Quiney's match performance over/under is 67.5 paying $1.88 - I'm pretty sure that the total includes 5 points for a catch.

Daemon

Yeah he's batting 3 iirc. But if Tahir bowls second + change he'll never be bowling to Quiney.

Spikey

Tahir gets Cowan caught at short leg 3rd ball, Quiney caught on the boundary 4th ball of the over, Warner bowled reverse sweeping 6th ball