• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly he could've scored as many runs as he wanted in that knock. He was on fire and I don't think I've ever seen a team not give a **** as much as India from about halfway through Day 2 and for all of Day 3.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not 100% but I'd suggest the time-tested 'who would you share a roadie/coldie with?' criteria saw Quiney get the nod over Rogers.

Correct decision, tbh.
Ha, fair dos.

There has been the odd singular character picked tho, Hodge eventually got a go and Dean Jones, famously the owner of the worst personality in Victoria (an accolade that puts him up against some really stiff opposition too) played over fifty tests.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Problem with 'Deano' is that he's too modest. Never talks about any significant innings that he played.

Top_Cat

Well, as the only card-carrying member of the Dean Jones Fan Club on this forum, this is quite hard for me to say but I think he only played that many because there was a dearth of top batting talent at the time (much like now, really). I notice the selectors took the first opportunity to turf him against the WI once some young guns came along, despite a good record against that team and coming off a great series in SL. I raged against it at the time, of course, but no doubt he was a **** and not a great team-man.

Guess it depends on the circumstances, really. My opinion, to pick a difficult character right now, they'd surely have to be absolutely on fire with the blade and have the ability to lift everyone around him. In the absence of that, I think going the 'team first' route is the way to go because they're going to have to bat in partnerships against this Saffer attack because they're going to be all over them.

benchmark00

My first favourite cricketer was Dean Jones. Him and Craig McDermott.

One turned out to be a ****, the other has a *** tape.

Says more about me than them tbf.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, as the only card-carrying member of the Dean Jones Fan Club on this forum, this is quite hard for me to say but I think he only played that many because there was a dearth of top batting talent at the time (much like now, really). I notice the selectors took the first opportunity to turf him against the WI once some young guns came along, despite a good record against that team and coming off a great series in SL. I raged against it at the time, of course, but no doubt he was a **** and not a great team-man.

Guess it depends on the circumstances, really. My opinion, to pick a difficult character right now, they'd surely have to be absolutely on fire with the blade and have the ability to lift everyone around him. In the absence of that, I think going the 'team first' route is the way to go because they're going to have to bat in partnerships against this Saffer attack because they're going to be all over them.
Fair comments.

Interesting to see the Aussie ethos of team spirit and/or mateship still holds some water. Or it looks that way from the outside looking in, anyway.

Whereas we've just recalled the ******'s ****** for our Indian tour. Pietersen is to team spirit what gonorrhea is to testes.

Sure that says something about our respective countries.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Dropped in 1988 for Veletta. Then dropped in 1992 for Martyn. At least the latter dropping was more fair, shouldve been M Waugh dropped in 1992 after SL tour, he was dropped already in 1992 for the Perth test vs India (Deano got 151*).

Briony

International Debutant
Dropped in 1988 for Veletta. Then dropped in 1992 for Martyn. At least the latter dropping was more fair, shouldve been M Waugh dropped in 1992 after SL tour, he was dropped already in 1992 for the Perth test vs India (Deano got 151*).
It was tough on Jones to be dropped after topping the averages when M.Waugh scored two successive pairs in same series. Maybe that's why this has translated into a bitterness which results in obsessive references to Madras.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haha, just watched Geoff Marsh cop one in the goolies and then get run out on World Series Classics. Unlucky.

Spikey

i almost wanna dig that up and see if he accused any batsman of sometimes losing focus and not keeping their eyes on the ball

Top_Cat

It was tough on Jones to be dropped after topping the averages when M.Waugh scored two successive pairs in same series. Maybe that's why this has translated into a bitterness which results in obsessive references to Madras.
Pretty sure he was born with a bitter taste in his mouth, tbh.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Mind you that does not mean it was a good decision the guy averaged mid 40's during a time when the fast bowling standards were pretty good.Also the likes of Langer and Martyn showed they were not ready for the step up for another 5 years and whether early tastes to test cricket helped them develop as test cricketers is also up for debate.