• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Bill Lawry because, shock horror, he's entertaining. I don't watch cricket to be bored to death by monotone wankers who don't actually know what professional sport was created for - entertainment.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah, I love Bill as well.

Birmingham may mock him for being bias, but I always found him to most fair commentator at nine. Guy just loved to see good cricket.

It will be a sad day to see him go because we will be stuck with Nicholas who has sucked some **** to get his position, and Healy.

GO, GO, GO THIS GREAT AUSTRALIAN TEAM when the oppositon are 3/500 and all that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Obviously it's Bill prerogative, but how old is he? Richie must have a good decade on him and he's still fighting the good fight.

EDIT: Although with his old sparring partner's illness I can see why he might wanna spend more time with the family.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I love Bill as well.

Birmingham may mock him for being bias, but I always found him to most fair commentator at nine. Guy just loved to see good cricket.

It will be a sad day to see him go because we will be stuck with Nicholas who has sucked some **** to get his position

:laugh:

Can't stand Mark Nicholas. Such a sycophant.

Bill's pretty good.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
In matches where there's a bit of excitement, Bill had no peers as a commentator.

The guy who is growing on me from 9 as a commentator is Slater. Don't mind him at all now. Gets a bit too excited in the shorter forms, but he's been good in this test series.

Healy is the one that needs to go. Really really bad.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bill is an institution. Sad, sad day.
Indeed. Will make sure to have a particularly significant Luncheon break today in honour of the man.

Also, am I finally detecting that the Australian commentators are getting fed up with Mark Nicholas? Two events yesterday stuck in my mind:

1. Mark Nicholas talking about it being time to consider "Amla in the Pantheon of great modern batsmen" only to have (I think) Ian Healy tease him remorselessly about it.

Nicholas then went on to suggest they should have a top ten classic catches segment. To which (again, I think) Healy said - You're always full of ideas Mark, we could call it the Pantheon of Classic Catches - to much merriment.

2. Brett Lee discussing whether the bowlers should set out to try and injure Philander, Steyn or Morkel when they're batting. Nicholas then told an anecdote about Nobby Stiles being told to go and injure Eusebio. Wasn't the worst anecdote. But when Nicholas finished, there was an uncomfortable silence of about 20 seconds before the Australian commentators went back to talking about the match - completely ignoring Nicholas' anecdote.

Is it too much to hope for that he may get the arse?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed. Will make sure to have a particularly significant Luncheon break today in honour of the man.

Also, am I finally detecting that the Australian commentators are getting fed up with Mark Nicholas? Two events yesterday stuck in my mind:

1. Mark Nicholas talking about it being time to consider "Amla in the Pantheon of great modern batsmen" only to have (I think) Ian Healy tease him remorselessly about it.

Nicholas then went on to suggest they should have a top ten classic catches segment. To which (again, I think) Healy said - You're always full of ideas Mark, we could call it the Pantheon of Classic Catches - to much merriment.

2. Brett Lee discussing whether the bowlers should set out to try and injure Philander, Steyn or Morkel when they're batting. Nicholas then told an anecdote about Nobby Stiles being told to go and injure Eusebio. Wasn't the worst anecdote. But when Nicholas finished, there was an uncomfortable silence of about 20 seconds before the Australian commentators went back to talking about the match - completely ignoring Nicholas' anecdote.

:laugh:

Has he been fired before? But in an ideal world the box would be reduced to two again. With three together they all get too excited and talk over each other in an attempt to gain some more air time. Nothing is more annoying than when they talk during a delivery.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I reckon #2 is more telling than #1.

#1 just comes across as a bit of piss-taking between colleagues bordering on "work friends" who have worked together a while, to me.

#2 says something though.

Burgey

Chanel Nine has issued a statement saying the silence after Nicholas' comments was because of technical problems.

I don't know what to make of it, but there are questions Gillard must answer

Top_Cat

Reckon there's a bit of class warfare between Nicholas and the others? I mean the guy played a ton of FC cricket but no Tests whereas he's obviously a more educated and articulate bloke than Healy, etc. and QLD'ers do love a bit of class warfare....

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

#1 is tainted by the fact that it was Healy who was taking the piddle. This is a guy who's favourite analysis is to suggest mid off should come out immediately and go into a gap where a nick has just gone, or if a certain side is a few down or in trouble. Honestly, I've heard it 20 times. He knows zero about cricket tactically. He's actually innocently sycophantic - he is just cluelessly crazy about his country.

#2 is actually something that Nicholas can offer. When he's not sucking on the phallus of whatever network he's on, he's actually a good commentator. I remember fondly the days before he had network execs to please, he is a student of the game who can eloquently get it across. But now he's reduced to talking about DLF'ers, how Warner is a wonderment of the game and generally being a pain in the arse. As for his cricinfo column, absolute puff.