• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Firmly believe that the batting lineup should be set on technical capabilities and mental comfort first, experience second. Cowan, Warner and Quiney are all opening batsmen; I'm sure they'd rather bat where they are than further down and they'll score more runs as a result. If they're not good enough then they're not good enough but they're batting in the right spots. Different to what Pakistan have done in the past by actually elevating young domestic #4/5 batsmen to #3 at Test level.
Quiney is only an opening batsman because it was his best chance of getting a spot in Vic side. Bats anywhere.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Melbourne Cup is over, there's no footy on. Hurry up and start the ****ing cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Reckon there's a strong possibility of Ponting/Hussey going to up 3 and the selectors bringing in Maxwell for Watson (and Starc for Lyon). Maxwell isn't exactly the most loved cricketer on this forum but I'm going to be honest and say I like him and wouldn't hate the move even though I wouldn't have a great deal of faith in it.
Moot point now with Quiney getting the gig (always feel like I've been derelict in my cricket following duties when Oz call up players I've never even heard of, much less seen, btw; fella's not once summered in Blighty, ffs), but Maxwell's bowling really does look like it should be served with gravy and peas. Shouldn't really be a factor in his selection anymore than (say) Warner's is for my money.

I'll ask my token "what about Rogers?" question here too. Not exactly ripping it up, but then neither is Quiney.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
The Melbourne Cup is over, there's no footy on. Hurry up and start the ****ing cricket.
Agree! Its an embarrassment to live in a country where you get a public holiday for watching a horse run around. A disgrace. #victoriasux

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Moot point now with Quiney getting the gig (always feel like I've been derelict in my cricket following duties when Oz call up players I've never even heard of, much less seen, btw; fella's not once summered in Blighty, ffs), but Maxwell's bowling really does look like it should be served with gravy and peas. Shouldn't really be a factor in his selection anymore than (say) Warner's is for my money.

I'll ask my token "what about Rogers?" question here too. Not exactly ripping it up, but then neither is Quiney.
selectors rate maxwell, whether we do it not. he has a funny action but he really gives it a rip on responsive surfaces, bowls pretty flat but gets revs anyway. not really applicable in aus but bowled well v sa in the warmup. point is - starc is looking much more likely than lyon and it'd allow him to play while maintaining the four quicks+tweaker thingo. quiney ftw anyway, always knew he'd play for aus. wag. hussey to take a wicket.

Spikey

the real story here is we've got footage of mark cameron bowling

oh and birdy

Top_Cat

Not 100% but I'd suggest the time-tested 'who would you share a roadie/coldie with?' criteria saw Quiney get the nod over Rogers.

Correct decision, tbh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yep and selectors are not going to pick a guy who is closer to 40 than 30 to return to our Test side.

aussie tragic

International Captain
It looks like Quiney doesn't have to do much to fill Watson's batting slot...Watto averages 33.75 over the last 2 years, with a highest score of 95

....then again that's better than Cowan :ph34r:

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It looks like Quinney doesn't have to do much to fill Watson's batting slot...Watto averages 33.75 over the last 2 years, with a highest score of 95

....then again that's better than Cowan :ph34r:
If Quiney scored 68 runs in this match I reckon we'd all take that tbh.

aussie tragic

International Captain
....as long as that includes a 50 so that we can say we didn't miss watto :)

But then again we can always compare him to Marsh vs india last year....

Last edited:

benchmark00

Watching highlights of the Aus/India SCG test from this year.

I was there for the first three days and I don't think I appreciated fully how well Ponting and Clarke played. Some ****ing mind blowing shots being played. Couldn't think of someone playing better.

Spark

Global Moderator
Watching highlights of the Aus/India SCG test from this year.

I was there for the first three days and I don't think I appreciated fully how well Ponting and Clarke played. Some ****ing mind blowing shots being played. Couldn't think of someone playing better.
Yeah some of the strokeplay around/after tea on Day 2 was just absurd.