• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Found this article on Quiney, mentions a fielding incident involving Quiney, so i dug up the video.

article - The importance of being in

video- Rob Quiney vs Ed Cowan - abysmal fail 2006 - YouTube
In Quiney's defence, the likelihood of being on the receiving end of a lofted cover drive from Cowan can be measured in several orders of MegaUn****inglikelies (MUFll's). The real surprise is that he wasn't beaned whilst laying on the ground taking a mid-arvo kip.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Nah, both were fast-tracked because they're quality, not because they're quick. Same with Hazlewood. He's a bowler more likely to take Test wickets than Butterworth and McDermott even if he's not as credentialled as Butterworth yet. I'm coming around to Bird but can definitely see why the selectors would be pretty keen to give Hazlewood more of a go than the others.
I guarantee if they didn't bowl 140+ they wouldn't have been promoted that quickly. It's patently obvious that pace is valued proportionally higher than a lot of other qualities in the Australian scene. Of course, they have to have something else to them than just that, otherwise they could just be **** bowlers (Mitchell Johnson says hi), but it's like a prerequisite a lot of the time. Reckon the reasons Copeland got a go was only because of the sheer weight of his performances, the fact he kept performing well at exactly the right time and the relative lack of others options when he was selected. Disagree as well that Hazlewood would be more likely to take test wickets than Butterworth or Bird atm. Haven't seen enough of McDermott to comment.

benchmark00

I guarantee if they didn't bowl 140+ they wouldn't have been promoted that quickly. It's patently obvious that pace is valued proportionally higher than a lot of other qualities in the Australian scene. Of course, they have to have something else to them than just that, otherwise they could just be **** bowlers (Mitchell Johnson says hi), but it's like a prerequisite a lot of the time. Reckon the reasons Copeland got a go was only because of the sheer weight of his performances, the fact he kept performing well at exactly the right time and the relative lack of others options when he was selected. Disagree as well that Hazlewood would be more likely to take test wickets than Butterworth or Bird atm. Haven't seen enough of McDermott to comment.
Wait, are you suggesting that the selectors think that good bowling at high speed is harder to face than good bowling at slow speeds? Those ****s are out of control.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How strange is it that the least experienced of this Aussie batting line up are batting in the top 3? That just sounds like something the Windies or the Pak team of the last 15 years or so would do... I always believe the most experienced guys must bat as high as possible in the batting line up. Just feels strange that guys with the pedigree of Ponting, Clarke and Hussey have to bat 4,5 and 6 when relative newbies are batting 1,2 and 3.

Ruckus

International Captain
Wait, are you suggesting that the selectors think that good bowling at high speed is harder to face than good bowling at slow speeds? Those ****s are out of control.
What part of "proportionally higher" don't you understand?

benchmark00

What part of "proportionally higher" don't you understand?
You're just talking garbage by saying Butterworth or McDermott are better prospects than Hazelwood. Sorry mate but it's absolute junk. And it came off the back of you also thinking David Hussey is stiff for missing selection.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I totally get that.. but I just feel at least one out of Huss, Punter and Clarke should be batting #3 and ease the pressure on some of these youngsters. Watson esp. should be batting at 4 long term, IMO...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Firmly believe that the batting lineup should be set on technical capabilities and mental comfort first, experience second. Cowan, Warner and Quiney are all opening batsmen; I'm sure they'd rather bat where they are than further down and they'll score more runs as a result. If they're not good enough then they're not good enough but they're batting in the right spots. Different to what Pakistan have done in the past by actually elevating young domestic #4/5 batsmen to #3 at Test level.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
So with Watson out, who's vice-captain?

They'll probably use Ponting like they did for the ODI's last year just before they dropped him...