• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warner 9 - scored a century and took a wicket. Not sure how this could've been better.
Cowan 4 - start in the 2nd innings.
Quiney 1 - took a couple of catches....
Ponting 1 - :down:
Clarke 10 - hey, at least he got dismissed! Even after 480-odd runs!
Hussey 9 - should've bowled more, but batted great.
Wade 3 - not so good with the bat and poor glovework.
Siddle 7 - tried his heart out in the 4th innings.
Pattinson 1 - good dig but breaking down was the main reason why we didn't win.
Hilfenhaus 4 - loses points for ineffectiveness in the 2nd dig.
Lyon 7 - a major trier.

Smith 8 - his run of undefeated tons continue.
Petersen 7 - did fairly well in both innings.
Amla 2 - whoops.
Rudolph 3 - near the end?
de Villiers 7 - tried his heart out in the final innings.
du Plessis 10 - it's one thing to score a debut ton, another thing entirely to virtually single-handedly save the game. WAG.
Kallis 8 - imagine how much he'd have done if he was fit.
Steyn 5 - bowled decent at times...
Kleinveldt 6 - good spell in the third innings.
Morkel 8 - 8 wickets is always a plus, and gets bonus points for being there at the end.
Tahir 0 - hahahahahahaha.
Siddle and Quiney both too high.

Spikey

not sure i'd say hilf was anymore ineffective in the 2nd dig than the 1st. hell, he got smith in the 2nd. but really, he was much the same in both.

of course, he needed to lift in the 2nd with pattinson dead. but still.

flibbertyjibber

Serious question, didn't see enough of the last day to comment fairly but could/should Lyon have done better? Last day pitch at Adelaide which is usually made for spinners and he only gets the injured man out. Was it similar to Hauritz at Cardiff or did the Saffers just bat brilliantly?

benchmark00

not sure i'd say hilf was anymore ineffective in the 2nd dig than the 1st. hell, he got smith in the 2nd. but really, he was much the same in both.

of course, he needed to lift in the 2nd with pattinson dead. but still.
Hilfenhaus bowled as well, if not better, than Siddle throughout the game.

Siddle's two full toss wickets towards the end will stick in people's minds, but he did nothing for the rest of the match, whereas Hilfenhaus took three first inning wickets plus Smith's wicket early yesterday.

You shouldn't get extra points for being buggered at the end of your spell.

Briony

International Debutant
Hard to believe they could bat through the day but even draws can be riveting. Well done SA and Faf but also to the Aussie batsmen who lit up the first innings and got the match moving and Siddle for bowling his heart out. Lyon-hearted effort too from the spinner.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Serious question, didn't see enough of the last day to comment fairly but could/should Lyon have done better? Last day pitch at Adelaide which is usually made for spinners and he only gets the injured man out. Was it similar to Hauritz at Cardiff or did the Saffers just bat brilliantly?
Lyon probably showed his relative inexperience today. He bowled well, very tidy but didn't show enough variation. He certainly could have used the crease a little more and probably could have flighted the ball more too.

Also his game sense was a little off, we needed him to try and get wickets too, not just rush through the overs.

In saying that he was quite good, but nothing special.

benchmark00

Lyon probably showed his relative inexperience today. He bowled well, very tidy but didn't show enough variation. He certainly could have used the crease a little more and probably could have flighted the ball more too.

Also his game sense was a little off, we needed him to try and get wickets too, not just rush through the overs.

Agree with this summary.

Stapel

International Regular
Good test cricket with some good performances, mostly with the bat. Also some question marks!

About Tahir: I was thinking he was dropped before this test. Apparently not. I haven't watched too much, as play is from 1 to 8 am, so I have missed him, I guess.

About dropping Rudolph: Where is Ashwell Prince? Or did I miss something? at some point he was vice captain, IIRC.

About Quiney: I don't know the guy, so it might be harsh to judge him on 4 innings. But why are 30-year old players with a 35 first-class average selected anyway? Or did he really excel over the last seasons or two?

About Ponting: The great batsman is not only over the top of hill, but has now descended a fair distance. Nothing lasts forever

How was Ponting worse than Wade?
Ponting's bar is higher. Might be unfair, but still.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that would sum up Lyon as a bowler for me.

Its sad that Australia was lucky to produce the second best leg spinner in the world but unlucky that we was born around the same time as the best one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good test cricket with some good performances, mostly with the bat. Also some question marks!

About Tahir: I was thinking he was dropped before this test. Apparently not. I haven't watched too much, as play is from 1 to 8 am, so I have missed him, I guess.

About dropping Rudolph: Where is Ashwell Prince? Or did I miss something? at some point he was vice captain, IIRC.

About Quiney: I don't know the guy, so it might be harsh to judge him on 4 innings. But why are 30-year old players with a 35 first-class average selected anyway? Or did he really excel over the last seasons or two?

About Ponting: The great batsman is not only over the top of hill, but has now descended a fair distance. Nothing lasts forever

Ponting's bar is higher. Might be unfair, but still.
They both had a complete failure in one innings and a start in the other, and Wade also kept like a complete clown. I'm not nearly as anti-Wade as some people on this forum but for mine he had the worst performance in this match after the obvious.

Spark

Global Moderator
He basically dropped the match, you'd say.

EDIT: Though if Cowan had had a proper go at catching the one off Warner...

Stapel

International Regular
I realize that when you are not regular on the forum, you cannot expect people to realize when you are sarcastic.
Just to clarify, I am a huge Kallis fanboy and I think he is the greatest cricketer in the world after Sir Gary Sobers.
I thought it was pretty obvious you were being sarcastic.

I'm with you. Totally puzzled why people cannot see Kallis has only The Don & Sir Gary ahead of him as even greater cricket players.

Spikey

smitteh stumping hurt. we would have had SA beaten had they not had to defend his record

Ashwell Prince is stupid and ****